• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bourbon What have you tried lately

TN-MadDog

Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Ooltewah, TN
I haven't seen a good bourbon thread in a while so I thought I would start a new one instead of reviving an old one.

I'm no expert and rarely buy anything real expensive but I do like bourbon and like to try new things. None of the local shops have a lot of variety and I get tired of the same things all the time. I passed through another town yesterday and stopped in at better seller. They had quite a few things that I have not had a chance to try. What I bought is not all that fancy, just things I have not tried. I have never had the Elmer T Lee or either of the Taylors. All of these are produced by the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

I have been drinking the Colonel Taylor small batch for two nights. So far I am really liking it. It will take me a while to try them all since I really like to try something new for a few times in a row before switching to something else.

I wanted to start a thread to see what new things people have been trying and to see if they liked it or not. It doesn't have to be top shelf. I like the wheated bourbons and have been trying some of the Wellers. I like what I have tried so far.

So what have you tried new lately?

Here is a pic of what I bought a couple days ago. The Eagle rare was not new to me but just bought it because I was out and wanted some more.

I have more kinds of Scotch (Lagavulin is my favourite) than bourbon.

Right now I've got Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, and Bookers. I've been a whiskey drinker for a long time and for a while now I always come back to Bookers. It is pretty much the end-all-be-all for me so I really don't see myself experimenting further unless someone gives me a bottle as a gift.

I'm drinking Buffalo Trace bourbon right now, just tried it in the last week pretty dam good. usually drink Makers,Gentleman Jack,Elijah Craig.

Considering all of the good and detailed information that has been stated already, what is the best scope to put on a Savage for long range and home defense? ;)

Really though, dig a bit, and you'll find that there's good info done. Feel free to add. Sip some Four Roses, whilst doing so.

Enjoy.

Basil Hayden's or Blantons are pretty solid choices. If you can find a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr, but it and savor every drop!

I have really been enjoying Bookers. Bottled at barrel proof, so it is stout, but the flavor is just so rich that it is delicious.

Just tried Jack Daniels single barrel recently and it is great also.

My standards are Maker's Mark, Four Roses small batch, Knob Creek small batch, and Eagle Rare.

I have had a couple bottles of Pappy, 20 year and 12 year old. I liked the 12 best. Doesn't matter if you can't get it.

I've tried most of the commonly available things and haven't found anything that I liked much more than my regulars.

I really just want to try some things that the local stores don't carry and are more in my price range. I really wish I could mail order to TN. It would make it a lot easier.

Anyone know of any really good liquor stores in the areas around Chattanooga? Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham, Huntsville or Memphis? Those are places that I pass through occasionally.

I opened the Elmer T Lee last night. Totally different from the C. Taylor small batch. Must have a lot more Rye in it. Much stronger flavor and spiciness. Pretty good even though I generally like the wheated bourbons better. I'm going to try the Weller tonight. I'm trying to save the Taylor single barrel for a family gathering in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the replies.

Willets....

I have tried Willett but it's been a while. Maybe I will try it again. I was just checking out their website. There were several different bourbons listed/pictured that I have not seen in any liquor store. I'm going to watch for some of them.

7yr 80 proof Jim Beam. All I want in a bourbon. Not sold in Arkansas but sold in Oklahoma everday of the week.

I have really been enjoying Bookers. Bottled at barrel proof, so it is stout, but the flavor is just so rich that it is delicious.

Just tried Jack Daniels single barrel recently and it is great also.

I know it's dickish, but can't let it go; Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

Sorry. Anyhow, I too go for plain old Beam most of the time, but really like Bulleit. I might have t go get some now that I think about it.

I know it's dickish, but can't let it go; Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

Sorry. Anyhow, I too go for plain old Beam most of the time, but really like Bulleit. I might have t go get some now that I think about it.

You are 100% correct, and I knew better! For some reason "American whiskey" has been burned into my brain as Bourbon, coming from the world of Scotch. Now that I am more educated I do know the difference, but make the slip from time to time.

7yr 80 proof Jim Beam. All I want in a bourbon. Not sold in Arkansas but sold in Oklahoma everday of the week.

Why not in AR?

Kinda reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in eastern AR. People would drive to Oklahoma (or was it all the way to Colorado?) to buy Coors.

Hmmmmm, I think I have tried quite a few bourbons. Anything that is run through charcoal just kinda makes me gag and think of rotten bread. I have tried several Scotch's, but my favorite will never be made again, the Speyside Craggenmore 1992 Port Finish. The Glenlivets are decent, as are teh basics that are all sold in every Class VI/Package store, and the pricey $100 - $200 bottles I got to take a taste from were, well, damn good scotch.
Bourbons are all good, but each is slightly different in what it offers to the palate. You want to try something very different, I would suggest a 'local' still a few miles away from me. They have a younger Bourbon that is based on sweet, white corn. It holds a very nice flavor profile, with a residual sweet almost maple flavor note in it. At barrel proof, it is very good, and in a few years will be even better

...You want to try something very different, I would suggest a 'local' still a few miles away from me. They have a younger Bourbon that is based on sweet, white corn. It holds a very nice flavor profile, with a residual sweet almost maple flavor note in it. At barrel proof, it is very good, and in a few years will be even better

Man, that's a heck of a teaser. Could you give me just a little more to go on? Or is it too rare to let the cat out of the bag? :)

Why not in AR?

Kinda reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in eastern AR. People would drive to Oklahoma (or was it all the way to Colorado?) to buy Coors.

I don't know why. I even sent Jim Beam an email asking them why and did not get an answer. In most stores in OK though. Great flavor and not much bite. I think it is a fantastic bourbon!

I have been between job since June 28. So I've been enjoying Ezra Brooks.

I got a job offer last week, so I'm slooooowly upgrading. Lol Jim Beam for now .
Once I get a check, I will be upgrading.

TnMaddog: Try riverside wine and beverage (something like that). Chattanooga, tn on the north side of the tn river directly under the hwy27 bridge. good selection.

TnMaddog: Try riverside wine and beverage (something like that). Chattanooga, tn on the north side of the tn river directly under the hwy27 bridge. good selection.

Thanks for posting.

Riverside is probably the biggest liquor store in town but even their selection is somewhat limited. I passed through Knoxville last week and went to a couple stores. One (McScrooge's) had quite a few bourbons and other whiskeys that I have never seen anywhere in Chattanooga. I guess the market here is just not big enough for for stores to stock a lot of the less common/newer brands and bottlings that are out there.

I rarely drink bourbon

thCAVZS28E.jpg

But when I do its Pappy's 12 year.