• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boyds Comb Height Question

yotesniper66

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
Central Illinois
Looking for some help on a Boyd's stock purchase.

I have a CZ 457 Varmint that has a scope with a 50mm objective mounted in Seekins high rings (lowest I can go and still clear the barrel) on a Bscar 25 moa rail. I cannot get a good cheek weld and don't really want to use a stock pack, or a kydex cheek rest (drilled or Bradley style).

This rifle will be used for 25-300 yard target and a few trips to the timber for tree rats. With the latter in mind, I'm leaning towards the Boyds Rimfire Hunter as it is a happy medium between a hunting and bench rest stock so far as the grip and beavertail forend.

My concern is that even though the comb is higher than my existing stock, it still may not solve my issue. I asked Boyd's if they could install their adjustable comb on this model and they said it's only available on the Pro Varmint (my second choice).

My other choices would be to go with the Pro Varmint and adj comb, send my factory stock or the Rimfire Hunter to Jducos for a loggerhead install, get a scope with a smaller obj.

I searched this site and Rimfire Central for anyone having experience with this stock/scope size setup, but didn't really find anything. Hoping someone here has but just didn't post about it.

I dont know how the Pro Varmint compares to the Rimfire Hunter, but my heavily reshaped Pro Varmint needed .5" pillers in the redneck cheek peice to get a good cheek weld on a budget 243 with a sporter barrel.

Attachments

• 9309.jpeg
    9309.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 98
Don't overlook the foam pad/duck tape approach to stock check piece adjustment. It's ugly but effective...

Op, the pro-varmint adj cp on my stock can extend upwards of 3/4 to possibly 1" inch. The drop in comb with the cheekpiece at its lowest point looks around 5/8". Here is a pic I shared with another fellow 452'er, settings with high rings on a 25 moa base. I recently swapped out optics to a 50mm obj with med rings and actually lowered the cp a tad.
20191207_063935.jpg

Op, the pro-varmint adj cp on my stock can extend upwards of 3/4 to possibly 1" inch. The drop in comb with the cheekpiece at its lowest point looks around 5/8". Here is a pic I shared with another fellow 452'er, settings with high rings on a 25 moa base. I recently swapped out optics to a 50mm obj with med rings and actually lowered the cp a tad.
View attachment 7197236
Thanks Shifty, that's what I was looking for. Think I'll go with the Pro Varmint as the Rimfire Hunter doesn't look like it will help my cheek weld issue.

Reactions: Shifty6BR