• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Boyds Pro Varmint QD mount placement

ggiddy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2020
I have a boyds pro varmint for a ruger american, like the one pictured, and want to add 2 grovtec qd sling mounts for carrying slung like an AR and sling supported shooting with a loop sling like armageddon gear precision sling. It will also often have a harris bipod mounted.

Not knowing what I dont know, do you have any advice on qd placement? I am leaning towards the rear being on the right side heel 1.25" down and 1.25" over. The front qd being on the left side and as far back as the 2nd sling stud. The stock sides have a rounded contour that sharply transitions to vertical. The bottom looks like an easier installation than the side with a beefier area but would be an inch back from the bottom stud to give clearance to the aftermarket bipod lever.

boyds-qd.jpg
If going with the side, how much material is needed around the front qd to install it without weakening the stock or ripping out?
The qd needs a 1/2" hole drilled to install and it would be epoxied in place.
The sides of the stock in the front is 1/2" thick when it transitions to vertical, the bottom is also 1/2" thick but has a 1/2" cavity under the barrel.
Not sure if it would be a good idea to drill the full 1/2" on the side or just go 1/4" and have 1/4 sticking out the side.

Damn... thats almost my exact setup down to the sling...

Not sure if/what the dimension/contour difference is between actions, but I did exactly this with my Savage MkII FVSR about 5 years ago (before they had built in adjustable cheek rest) and haven't had a problem. Your placements are almost exactly where mine are. My rear swivel is 1.25" in on the wood and 1.25" down from where the wood flattens out on the face (not from the top of round)

I originally had the front cup almost at the front swivel and a bit on the high side of the stock. Moved it back and lower when I put in the EFR and think it fits/looks/blends better where it is now. The original location is just about under the tip of my thumb in first pic. My rear bottom swivel stud was removed - hole still there. Run the bipod on the front swivel.

Not an engineer, but I would think leaving the cup out a bit would allow for some different torque on where the hole is drilled and increase likelihood of ripping it out. Mine is barely proud of the stock. I had the powder coat type paint on it - helps to put tape over it when drilling (drill through tape) to prevent and extra marks/flaking/chipping around the hole.

Hope this helps.

IMG_4481.jpgIMG_4480.jpgIMG_4483.jpgIMG_4482.jpg