• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boyds Stocks: Laminate or Solid Walnut ?

GS455

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2013
Nashville
I have a collection of mainly 20th century battle rifles. All presumably milspec’d to withstand the rigors of combat/abuse. Virtually nothing I own, aside from a few in polymer, wears a new commercial wood stock and nothing so seemingly fragile as a Boyds laminate that I feel failed on me recently. It was an At-One-Thumbhole stock on a Ruger American Ranch (7.62x39) that was leaning against a wall. It was lightly bumped causing it to fall over, 90 degrees, under its own weight, down onto a not-so-hard vinyl floor. As you can see it sustained severe cracks across it’s body.

In milsurp circles I’ve always believed laminate stocks to be considered tougher and stronger than standard wood stocks (i.e. 91/30’s and AKMs in laminates). I would think any stock should be able to take mild to moderate abuse whether in combat, on a ranch, in the bush or forest hunting. I’m mainly a medium skill plinker, so, yea and occasional mild drop or tip-over may happen at the range or at the house. I absolutely love the appearance and form factor of this stock but should it be so apparently brittle?

Without much apology Boyds has thankfully taken it back for a full refund but are not directly fessing up to any kind of warranty/material failure, rather, doing me a “favor”. I have been offered a replacement at a modest discount (mainly due to a bunch of other hassles I won’t go into) but, in short, should get another laminate version or go with a solid walnut variant instead. Boyds won’t answer which would be stronger either way.

20231105_151729_resized_2.jpg

Boyds Major Crack 1.jpg

Boyds Major Crack 2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Snuby642
I’ve had a couple of their laminates on hunting rifles and only had one crack near the action bolts. It was on a LA magnum and wasn’t bedded so that’s on me. Good to hear they’re helping out though instead of just sticking you with a bill for full price!

Normally a laminate stock is stronger and won't warp or crack.

I had a stand I was in and came crashing to the ground covered in a lot of rock.

The scope was obliterated we hit that hard, I was younger and it put me down hard but no broken bones. The Winchester lamimant was dented some and scratched.

The barrel got scratched but still shoots strait.

That's a strange looking crack that seems to go through all layers, odd.

I believe that particular grain was the issue. I own a laminated Sako 85, and it's tough I absolutely love it.