• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Boys becoming Men,,,(Shaving,,,)

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    When a Boy begins to become a Man, they generally learn to start shaving.

Not to derail another thread here, this is to begin the many different nuances of a 'good shave'. Simply because, not everyone has the mentor around to pass this down. That, and not every mentor has had all the different experiences of <span style="text-decoration: line-through">'slashing flesh'</span> I mean "shaving close".

So the general beginning is the straight razor, and it's necessary accouterments:
    Picture003.jpg
    consisting of:Round straight razor, stone, strop, cup, soap, and a brush.

Here's a close-up of each of mine:
    Picture004.jpg
    A round end and a square end

Then there is the Safety Razor (I didn't name it):
    Picture005.jpg
    Generally supposed to be safer because the edge is 'protected'.

Lastly, we have the "multiple-edge marketing marvel":
    Picture008.jpg
    This particular one has 4 blades in each cartridge.

While the last one is alot more commonplace, it doesn't do as good of a job as it's predecessors. Especially the SR.

The biggest thing I'll say though, regarding previous comments about 'ingrown hairs' and whatnot is that as you age, your skin 'toughens'. What happens now, may not happen later on. Also, the more one shaves, the more one's face becomes 'tougher'. There was a time (years ago) where I couldn't use a 'double-blade' and now I can use 4 edges at once.

But, properly used, the Straight Razor is still the calmest, relaxingest, smoothest, and closest shave.

Starting with the 'conditioning' of the facial skin with warmth and moisture, then a good lather of the soap. Following this with the proper application of the blade is absolutely enjoyable.

But not for those in a hurry. Or a rush to get to work. It is an experience unto itself. Especially when your wife does this for you!

Re: Boys becoming Men,,,(Shaving,,,)

I switched to traditional wet shaving back and in December after years of hating to shave.

I now enjoy it, shaving every other day in the summer and every day in winter.

Thanks for posting this.

Charlie

Thanks for starting this thread. After finding the other thread I looked up my pawpaw's old razors. Two straight razors, a mustache razor, and a gillette safety razor. Along with his mug, brush and soap cake. I went today to a local beauty supply and bought a new soap cake and some blades for the safety razor. I'm planning on sending the straight razors somewhere to get them refurbished. I'm looking forward to some insight on this subject. Thanks again.

PickPick, I don't know if it's your first rodeo or not but if it is here is some insight that should be useful. Take your time traditional shaving does not start out as a quick part of the day, rather it evolves into one. There are several different "rituals" to prepare ones face for scraping. I.E. wetting/warming the face, razor, and brush etc...
    For me there are several steps I take before I attempt to donate to the sink. Use the google machine to find what others recommend then find what works for you.

IM

See now, this is the type of discussion that I've been waiting for.

Regarding the safety razor blades, I don't know about ya'll, but the Wilkinson Sword blades last me much longer than the Gillette (sp?) blue blade.

Blue = Sucks

And remember that little comment that I'd made about your face 'toughening' over time. What works for you now, probably won't in the future. Same goes in reverse.

Then there's the different soaps, lather techniques, and what-all.

Just don't up-shave, and you'll be good to go.

I used to use Sword blades but switched to Merkur, HUGE difference. Merkur seems much more smooth/sharp and stay that way for longer. I have found for me that I can shave against the grain with little to no irritation as long as Iam not "forcing" it. However slightly against the grain with a good (glycerin?) soap and badger brush is the way to go.

Switchblade and I are testing a bunch of blades right now. Merkur and Feather followed by Wilkinson aer in the running. Need to try Gillete 7 o'clock, Shark and the Bleue. Went back to by old DE edge years ago after suffering with the multi-blade cartridges. Trying a new soap cake right now that is totally kick ass. First shave was great with a 5 day old Merkur blade.

I do 3-4 lathers to get baby ass smooth face for the wife.

When boys go through puberty, they start shaving.

When a boy becomes a man, he stops shaving an grows a beard, like a real man.
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When boys go through puberty, they start shaving.

When a boy becomes a man, he stops shaving an grows a beard, like a real man.
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Damn, discussion ender right there. I guess we're all pussies for shaving
    wink.gif

I have been using the Classic Brand soap cakes from

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522960/198657.htm

The Mercur 25C Long Handle Classic is a fine combed razor. It's weight makes shaving a real pleasure and I shave each and every day and totally enjoy it now as part of my morning ablutions.
    The Mercur blades are a pretty stiff blade, and the Feather's are nice and flexible. Rigid usually lasts longer and flexible gives a closer shave.
    The Gillette Platinum, Feather, and Mercur are my favorites, but a cold dogs nose with teh Wilkinson has kind of made me weary of them...nasty gash acorss the left nostril when Bulleit decided to poke my leg with his cold nose...little frikker had perfectly excuisite timing.
    The Classic Brand soap cakes make an extremely rich lather. If you have the play dough to lay out, the more expensive cakes offer more fat and essential oils for an even more luxurious shave. Check Wally World for a small bottle of Shaving Secret. It's an mix of clove and eucaliptus oils that when a few drops are added to the cake before lathering, make for a nicely enrichened foam.

For you newbs or those who have yet to try the old styled blades, take care and get a heavy razor so it's natural weight in a relaxed hand shaves. It only takes a few attempts to get the engle right, then you are off and running. Then again, some just don't get it or have the natural ability to just go with old school cool.
    The bonus is greater helathier skin. No more ingrown hairs, no cuts unless the dog gets me, and that close shave doesn't leave razor burn in tender places making her much happier(yeah, her neck, cheeks, you know, tender places...miscreants!)
    I would say this way of getting a superb wet shave is a old secret, but many have given it up for the new fangled multi bladed crap. I'm done with those overpriced pieces of bs. A few bucks for some double edged blades, and even a pair of soap cakes and money is saved.

BLADES TO AVOID:
    Dorco, Blaustuhl(appollo, Ben hur, others), Astra, ...still working on the list as there are several more to try

BLADES TO TRY:
    Mercur, Feather, Gillette Platinum, Wilkinson, Personna, and Lord.

There are two blades with those old names on them, BEWARE the Blaustuhl brand, they suck

If you are looking for the entire kit, that aforementioned website has some good stuff from lesser cost to what I refer to as 'quite nice'. Spend what you will, but if you have never used these things, take a bit of time to watch a few videos on the subject and learn from them. It's really just a few minor basics to how one shaves.

Me, I really look forward to the heated water, warm lather, and the glide of the blade on my face now. AS I said, shaving is now a good part of my morning ablutions and it is enjoyed not decried.

I resisted the twin blades way back when for as long as I could get Wilkinson single blades.

Finally found Wilkinsons again a few months ago. Triple blade nonsense but still as sharp and long-lasting as I remember. A pack of new cartridges was my Father's day gift to myself.

As for being wusses, well, my wife prefers a smooth face and I like to give her a "nice experience". So as much as I like having a beard or even a goatee, I shave.

Merkur--never hoid of 'em. Where do I find them?

I had never lathered and shaved with a brush, soap and safety razor till this morning. As stated in my earlier post I found my pawpaw's old razors, brush and mug. I went yesterday and bought me some new blades and a soap cake. Got up extra early with great expection and excitment, couldn't hardly sleep last night. Filled the sink with hot water, warmed the brush and razor, and washed my face. Then I started lathering and shaving. It was awesome to stand there and look in the mirror with my pawpaw's equipment, I could almost see him smiling back. Got as good a shave as I've ever had and not a single blood stain. Put on a little after shave lotion and my face felt wet and cold like having shaved a beard off. Thanks again for opening my eyes to another realm of manliness and humbleness. Have a great shave.

My beard grows really fast.
    When I was drafted in 68 I got to shave for breakfast, lunch and dinner to get into the mess hall as I had the "look" of someone who hadn't shaved that day.
    That held on for AIT and didn't end until I was in RVN where things like that didn't seem to matter so much.
    My face would get raw and hurt but who gives a shit? Certainly not the Lifers in the mess hall!!!
    When I got out in 71, that was the last day I shaved and have grown to like having a full beard.
    It gets me big money as Santa at Christmas time and my face has not been sun burned since.
    Shave all you want, however, I do believe the Great Spirit put hair on our faces and heads for a reason.
    A little water rubbed in or sweat does wonders for cooling.
    Just my opinion and if you have never let it grow for more than a month or two and get out of the itchy stage, you don't know what you are talking about.
    Regards, FM

While I was in RVN, I shaved every chance I got. It was one of the things that connected me to the real world and I relished doing it. Did have a moustache that I have never not shaved for over 40 years. Still shave everyday and enjoy every minute of it. Love to lather up with a brush and take a double edge razor to the face. Lather at least 3 times to get the face baby ass smooth for the wife.

For the last year or so I have wanted to try using a straight razor, can someone recommend a good brand? I looked at classicshaving, but they wanted $200+ for a straight razor set, talk about sticker shock. I have hard arksansas stones and an old strop, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

ubet, you want a good straight razor, you will pay a dear price for it. There is no such thing as an inexpensive straight razor, unless you go with the removable blade comb style. Anything lesser than an 'eye opening' price for straight makes me wonder heavily about the quality of the blade as well as it's edge holding ability.
    Here ya go on 'lesser cost' but beware, I have heard tell of a very steep learning curvve with these wickedly sharp blades.

http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/basic-straight-razor-shaving-set.html

I ain't skeered, but when I find a good razor and have the scratch to lay out, as well as an individual I explicitely trust to teach me how to use it and sharpen it, then I will go there. Until then I am happy with teh double edged blades and the heavy weight of a good Mercur safety razor.

Switch,I know I should probably be worried. But I have shaved with a pocket knife (wasnt fun), but I didnt know what I was doing. I found a place call straight razor place, and am reading up on it there. THanks for the info. I might just look into the mercur.

Ubet,

You can get very good quality used razors on eBay. Certain brands were consistently well made and will serve you well for reasonable prices. Straightrazorplace.com is an excellent site as us straightrazordesigns.com. They have reasonably priced Dovo and Boker sets.

Set aside conventional 'wisdom' and keep in mind that such a set will serve you for a long time. Hell a cake of mitchells wool fat soap has lasted me close to a year and I shave regularly.

Here is an excellent deal for a fine razor. In fact, if you don't go for this I very well might. Pay for the sharpening service, get yourself a decent $35 strop, soap mug, synthetic brush and the lot will come to around $200.

Now, your razor will outlast you. The strop will last years (practice carefully), the soap about 9 to 12 months. The mug, depends how clumsy you are.

As to the learning curve... Pay attention, go slowvand in small pieces at first and you'll have it down in a few weeks to pointbwhere you're comfortable and you get consistent results. The fine tuning comes in getting familiar with your own faces contours and growth direction but it's more enjoyable than stressful learning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Straight...8#ht_7866wt_922

I, too, love a good wet shave. I have shaved with a straight, but for now, my preference is a DE, and my favorite is a Gillete adjustable just like you have pictured in your post.

You will want to stay away from a square shaped straight http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/feather-artist-club-razor.html. Can you say cut long and deep and didn't know it yet?

The small curve http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/doofsostra68.html

of the curved blade is a much better tool in dillitante hands.

If you like walking around with small lines on your face from the many cuts you may get, go for the first choice with the nice, wickedly sharp square cut blade. I want to see teh pics of before and after
    wink.gif

gotta love convention 'wisdom'...

go slow, steady and keep looking at the mirror... it's really not that hard...

Actually, it's not so bad, generally. I learned 'myself' using that square King Cutter pictured up top.

Not necessarily recommended, and sorta hence why I followed through with the suggestion of putting up this thread. So That Others May Learn.....

yeah, there's been a "milestone" or two, with the occasional "speedbump"

This is the set I am contemplating getting, it blade has a curved end. Comes with everything, and for $20 more, it will come honed and ready to go.

Switch, I will take pics if/when I do this.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I started doing the whole wet shaving thing about 6 months ago, and I'm really enjoying it.

For handle I have a Merkur classic, and I am testing out a few different blades. Wilkinson swords, astras, gilette 7 o'clock sharps, persona platinums and there may be a couple others that I have left out. Big fan of the personas, and the 7 o'clocks are next on the list. For my next order of blades, I'm going to try some feathers (these are suppose to be the sharpest) and some persona medicals. Funny you guys seem to like the Merkur blades, most of the experienced wet shavers on the shaving boards (B&B, etc.) seem to hate those.

Also, if anyone is looking for a good shaving soap, check out moma bears soaps (momabearssoaps.com). These soaps are amazing, takes almost no water at all to start producing soap, and they come in a bunch of great scents.

I have a friend who has been a barber for 40 years. He is a historian of sorts and in his barber shop he has a collection of barber "stuff" that he has collected over the years. Awesome stuff with probably 50 or more straight razors. He still gives a shave with the same tools you guys posted here in the barber chair and has many older men who come in his shop every day for a shave. Its a small town here in Texas with the town square barber shop. Ive never had a shave like that but this thread has my interest up. THanks for posting.

It all comes down to personal preference on the blades. I am leaning toward a flexible blade with less longevity over a stiffer blade with a longer lifespan. anything in the .08mm thickness works for me better than .1mm - .13m.
    Some will find shaving with a sabre is better than with a wakazashi, others will prefer the more flexible wakazashi
    wink.gif

My advice though, look closely at the blade. If it has 'squiggles' on it, and is made in 'squiggle land' leave it alone. If the wrapper has anything to do with ancient deities, don't mess with them unless you like dull, pulling, crap blades.

Well, just got done with my first straight shave. Sorry Switch, no bloody grotesque pictures. I only cut myself in 2 places. Had to finish with a regular razor, but it isnt as hard as I thought. I just stropped the blade before use, should have ran it over my hard black ark stone, stropped then shaved. I can defenetly tell its a closer shave (where I got a good shave). Lots of work, but honest to god the first time I enjoyed shaving since I started 16 years ago.

This was my first "wet shave", and I mean the whole fucking bathroom was flooded by the time I was done, anyone sitting on the fence about this, jump in and do it, it was rewarding to me.

One question, the soap, do you leave it in the package wet the brush, then rub it in the soap? Or does the soap come out of the plastic package, into the cup, and just stay in the cup? I did it the first way.

ubet,

The soap stays in the bottom of the cup. After first use, it will stay in one place, in the center of the bottom of the cup.

And, you will (hopefully) develop an ability to have less need for swim-fins. Actually should not be necessary, ergo..... a goal to strive for.

The sharpness of the edge is critical to the quality of the shave. Practice will perfect it. Most will be surprised, eventually, as to how sharp they can actually get the edge.

Anybody in the mood for a funny straight razor story?

'Bout 20 years ago. My regular barber shop was closed, so I cruised a different part of town and spotted a likely looking joint. It was a "shotgun" building, narrow, but deep. One side had the usual barber's chairs, the opposite had a sort of bleacher seat arrangement with a mirror above so you could keep an eye on your tonsorial progress.

There were lots of gents waiting, and as I'm an impatient type, I started to leave. But I noticed there was one very elderly barber who had no customer, and no one seemed to be waiting on him. I noticed his hands were shaking with palsy, but I kinda' felt for the guy. Every other barber had a line of fellows waiting, but this crisply dressed ol' coot couldn't seem to scare up a customer.

I plopped down in his chair and set him to work. I could see his hands shaking a bit, but this doesn't trouble me. "It's only hair," I think to myself, "it'll grow back soon enough." I was busy with a magazine, and almost didn't notice as he put some nice hot lather on the sides of my mug. I glanced in the mirror, only to note with alarm that he's stropping up his straight razor.

The old gent's hands were really shaking now, and I could just see going straight from the barber's chair to the ER. I had no desire to hurt the old guy's feelings, but this was looking serious!

As he raised that shaky, menacing razor to my face, I lifted my watch, intending to explain that I was short of time, but too late. I could only watch in the mirror as his wrinkled hand -- abandoned its tremor, and with skill born of countless years, let the razor kiss my cheeks and deliver as smooth and steady a trim as I've ever had.

A haircut is not generally a memorable event, but I sure remember that one!

Cheers... Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One question, the soap, do you leave it in the package wet the brush, then rub it in the soap? Or does the soap come out of the plastic package, into the cup, and just stay in the cup? I did it the first way. </div></div>

Soap stays in the mug. Learn to strop and do so before and after the shave. Learn to hone your blade or use oxide paste to keep it keen before you need to have it honed. I believe an Ark stone requires oil. Make sure your stone is flat otherwise you'll screw up that edge. Try and get a decent barbers stone.

If you just shave one segment at a time and shave with two passes you won't get cut. Even if you did have the ultra scary square edge...

Thanks for the replies. I had to rehone the razor, I dont think I bought a good one. But it seems better now. The stones I am very comfortable with, just need to get a better strop I think. The one I have is very old, and has nicks and cuts in it, so its not real smooth in some spots anymore, will that make a difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, just got done with my first straight shave. Sorry Switch, no bloody grotesque pictures. I only cut myself in 2 places. Had to finish with a regular razor, but it isnt as hard as I thought. I just stropped the blade before use, should have ran it over my hard black ark stone, stropped then shaved. I can defenetly tell its a closer shave (where I got a good shave). Lots of work, but honest to god the first time I enjoyed shaving since I started 16 years ago.

This was my first "wet shave", and I mean the whole fucking bathroom was flooded by the time I was done, anyone sitting on the fence about this, jump in and do it, it was rewarding to me. </div></div>

Congrats. Love your description.

At first my wife gave me a hard time about the extra time it took but she has admitted, on several occasions, that she likes the smooth face. I figure if it gets here to hold closer to me, then it is worth it.

As for time, I can shave, shower, and get dressed in about 35-40 minutes. Not bad at all. I do a hybrid shave, first half with a straight and second half with a Gillette adjustable double edge. Hope to fully progress to the straight soon.

For those on the edge, go for it. The investment can be rather small with a flea market/antique shop find and the basic kit from Walgreens.

In fact, I have an extra double edge razor and some blades if someone is interested, send me a pm and I'll hook you up if you want to try it. Don't have an extra straight yet.

Charlie

yes. strop carefully and slowly making sure you have an even draw on the leather across the width of the blade. A decent strop to start with shouldn't cost more that $35 to $40 or so. Also, get a cheap jewelers microscope/eyepiece, this will let you see what a really sharp edge looks like and one that needs attention. They're dirt cheap and can be bought at Radio Shack, eBay etc.

Be careful on the stone. Over honing or incorrect honing is a great way to ruin a blade.

Starting with a truly shave ready edge, you should only need to hone once every few months even with regular use for the average beard. I use mine to trim my goatee as well so that causes the blade to dull quicker.

If in doubt, ask the vets on straightrazorplace, they're a very helpful bunch of guys.

Dude, Switch I now have come to the conclusion that Shaving Secret is without a doubt synonymous with AWESOME!

I have been doing the wet shave thing now for about 2 months or so. I picked up a starter kit from Art of shaving ( overpriced, didnt know at the time) Then went to a double edge, to a disposable edge straight and then to a regular straight. I definitely need to fix my stropping technique, as I cant keep my razor straight. I think learning with the disposable edge straight first is good though, as I only have to worry about my technique for now, instead of that AND keeping my straight sharp.

Aside from all that, I hated shaving and did it only when necessary, now its at least an every other day thing, if not everyday. Best shave I've ever had.

I'm apparently gonna have to pick up some Shave Secret. I transitioned to a more classic shaving routine this past April at the end of beard season. In my time shaving, my lather came from a can or bottle and my razors had at least 2 blades per cartridge. Now I'm using a double-edge safety razor, badger brush, and soap cake. It's a world of difference for me! Crumpmd here on the Hide had to go and mention that he gets a great shave with his Merkur adjustable, and I fell hard for the double-edgers after some research on the Badger & Blade forum.

I have interest in straights, but I'm still experimenting with the double-edge. I picked up this sample pack to go with my new razor. The best blades for me have been Feather Hi-Stainless and Astra Super Platinum. Personna reds were okay, and the Crystal and Derby sucked after 3 and 2 shaves respectively. Personna, Crystal, and Derby didn't give me passes that felt good, either.

I used and enjoyed a cake of unfragranced Saint Charles Shave soap, and I'm currently trying out Mama Bear's unscented glycerine soap. I like them both, but the Mama Bear's feels slicker whereas the Saint Charles felt more rich. Schlooping lather from a can on your face with your hands doesn't even compare with a warm badger brush full of soap against your face. I've definitely missed this all my life.

If you're curious, I ended up with and am happy with my Edwin Jagger DE89L safety razor and their Best Badger brush as well. I'm looking forward to eventually trying out different brushes and razors, but these have kept me more than happy for the last 5 months.

If you've got a Rite-Aid, check and see if they have the "Real Shaving Co." products. They make a great cream for use with a brush. It's what I use most days. You can also pick up C.O. Bigelow shave cream from Bath & Body Works in most towns. Works great (is actually made by Proraso from Italy). The Bigelow has menthol in it so it gives a cooling sensation as you shave. Very nice in the summer months, especially if you follow your shave with a splash of cold water.

Charlie

My Rite-Aid doesn't. They have cheapie synthetic brushes and horrible-smelling oily feeling $1.99 soap cakes. I'll hang tight to my Man Card and try B&BW next time I'm close to one to see what sort of products they offer. Thanks for the tips Charlie!

OK dudes, so what is the preferred "Preliminary Process" or 'Kibuki dance'? To which I'm referring to the Hot Towel Shave regimen. Something along the lines of:

Place two pre-soaked hand-towels in micro-nuker for 30 seconds.
    Get comfortable in reclining chair.
    Have my Lady wrap one around my face, and leave it for 5 minutes.
    Re-nuke second one for 15 seconds, then exchange towels on face.
    Then start lathering up the cup.
    After second towel has been on for 5 minutes, start applying first coat of lathered soap.
    Let sit for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
    Then apply second layer of soap.
    2-3 minutes later, commence shaving. (with a straight...)

I'm sure others out there have a different routine for their 'ultimate shave' and this is not a daily ablution. This is something more along the lines of a prelude to an extremely relaxing Sunday, or something like that. One where you can head out to the private range, (just the two of you) and not have to deal with any extraneous crap/range commando's.

Some here have commented on this "Shaver's Secret" or something like that. What is it, and what's it do? Any other steps or improvements that can be made? The two towels and the two coats of soap really do make a difference in softening up the hair. Also, making the skin more pliable to which you'd be surprised how fast AND close the shave is. There is a definite difference between this, and the general 'daily scraping' one does the rest of the time.

Believe me when I tell you, when My Lady does this for me it is awesome AND she likes it too. This is assuming that at least some of ya'll have/do/will go through a similar experience. So, what improvements and differences are there in your routines?

My routine goes as such:

Put brush in bowl of hot water to soak while I shower.

In shower I scrub my face with Real Shaving Co. face scrub. It's got walnut hull and glycerin in it so it preps the beard nicely.

When out of the shower I splash hot water on my face then apply Shave Secret shave oil. You can get it at Wally World and for me it really works well under the lather.

Make my lather at this point. I alternate between Real Shaving Co, C.O. Bigelow and some Col. Conk's Bay Rum. I lather in a bowl with a customer restored brush I made using a Pure Badger knot from whipped dog in an old brush handle I found at an antique mall.

Splash the face with hot water again, lather up and do a 3-pass shave. First 1 1/2 passes are with a straight. Last 1 1/2 passes are with a Gillette Slim Adjustable with Red Personna blades.

After I'm done I splash with hot water, then cold water then apply Witch Hazel followed with Nivea after shave balm. Works great for me and finally allows me to shave daily.

I do not do the hot towel routine as it irritates my skin and gives me a horrible shave. YMMV.

I'm hoping to figure out my angles to progress to a full straight razor shave sometime soon.

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Rite-Aid doesn't. They have cheapie synthetic brushes and horrible-smelling oily feeling $1.99 soap cakes. I'll hang tight to my Man Card and try B&BW next time I'm close to one to see what sort of products they offer. Thanks for the tips Charlie! </div></div>

The cheap soap cakes they sell actually work pretty good. The smell seems to dissipate when you lather up with it and the oily feeling is glycerin, which is a good thing. However, I'm in the same boat and don't care for the smell.

If you can find it, the Colonel Conk's line of soaps are nice. I like the Bay Rum and the Almond. They work quite well and let you keep your man card as well. They're also quite cheap ($5.50 for the larger one at razorbladesandmore.com). I ordered the bay rum when I ordered my blade sampler.

Charlie

oh...sorry, thought this was gonna be a boyband thread. carry on smartly then.

CharlieTN. You are so right to use some type of face scrub in hot shower. For us old guys 100-200 grit sandpaper works....but so does what you recommended or even the Walmart, Nivia pre-shave face scrub.

The Shave Secret that Switch noted is a real secret...cheap to buy at Wally World and works great. Actually bes of all the pre-shave oils I have tried over the years.

Shave On, all, and enjoy.

but now that you mention it what nancy uses shave cream or oils. 3 or 4 walmart wonder cheapies will get me a clean shave dry fer when i wanna cleanup perty.

Those 'POS' shave cakes in teh green box are actually inexpensive decent shave soap. The consistancy is good with the oils in it, but it's still not up to the quality of a good fat content soap cake which is why it's cheap. Still, it offers a good daily shave.
    The Shave Secret Oil is good stuff. I don't use it as a pre shave, but do add about three drops to my cake before I foam it up. It enriches the foam quite nicely.
    A good warm shower with her selected body wash(Axe Dark Temptation, she smells it, I don't), I use a apricot face scrub that pretty much equals 80 grit, but with the shea butter in it, and the vitamin E oil, it does a good job of opening up my pores and letting the hot water do it's thing.
    The Mercur razor with a nice blade glides through everything nicely. So far, Feather is my personal favorite, but the Mercur, Gillette, Personna, and Wilkonsin do nicely, just are not as flexible. When I am done shaving, I use teh leftover foam in the mug to cover my face once again and just wash my face. A good rinse and away!
    I have been looking at the stuff at the mall too, but currently I am using the Classic Brand stuff from the aforementioned website which I do like as it is nice and luxurious for the $5. Can't yet think to buy a cake of shave soap for $20.
    When I checked with 'Nashville Knife Shop' on their Derby blades(low cost for 30, 100 ct packages) I was told two things:
    They are darn good blades
    Sir, It's Nashville, INDIANA, we are about an hour south of Lebanon and Indy. So much for my idea of hitting them up in MY Nashville!

as to using a straight, well I think I'll leave that for professionals so I can be the guy laying back relaxing. I kinda like my face sans small scars as I have enough of those from a lifetime of service and other things...never hit in the face since I was a kid in a fight so it wasn't that that made me ugly as sin, just good living, fine wimmins and a little drink here and there

Just finished with my 3rd straight shave, the second one was HORRIBLE, I cut the shit outta myself and all the hairs felt like they were being pulled with dull nail pullers. I dont think I bought the worlds best straight razor... but I also dont think I am making the foam good, because it seems to be evaporting (I am using col conks). It seemed a little better after I used spit instead of water. The 3rd shave I think I got close to 90% of my face though, and just touched up my chin with my old razor.

I wish I had someone close to help explain things, I dont think the strop I had been using was helping. Today I stropped on a soft belt of my wifes before, and it went better. Might need to raid her belt hanger and find some soft belts.... Might have to try some of the preshave stuff too.