• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BRA Piston upper… Bolt carrier gets stuck in buffer to

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    I was testing supersonic 147 grain loads today on a rifle with a BRA piston upper.

They’re not exactly hot and there’s no excessive pressure signs on the cases.

However did dawn on me that I had been using subsonic loads previously and exclusively.

I’m pretty sure the upper came with a buffer but I’m not so sure it came with a spring.

There is a hole in the bottom of the bolt carrier group and if the buffer goes back far enough it gets stuck on the buffer retaining plunger (whatever hell it’s actually called).

The spring that was in the buffer tube had a green end.

Anybody know what spring I should actually be using with this if I want to shoot supersonic loads?

(these loads are 147 grain military surplus bullets with 16 grains of H110 behind them.)

Last edited:
    In very faint lettering on the website it indicates a rifle length buffer spring and buffer.

So it turns out that it’s supposed to use a rifle system…. Humph.

I swapped in a rifle buffer for the function test and it works just fine. Good that I have a whole boatload of parts from all the old A.R. 15 side I used to have.

There is a hole in the bottom of the bolt carrier group and if the buffer goes back far enough it gets stuck on the buffer retaining plunger (whatever hell it’s actually called).
    I'm baffled by this. Got any pictures?

Reactions: Jsp556
    I was testing supersonic 147 grain loads today on a rifle with a BRA piston upper.

They’re not exactly hot and there’s no excessive pressure signs on the cases.

However did dawn on me that I had been using subsonic loads previously and exclusively.

I’m pretty sure the upper came with a buffer but I’m not so sure it came with a spring.

The spring that was in the buffer tube had a green end.

Anybody know what spring I should actually be using with this if I want to shoot supersonic loads?

(these loads are 147 grain military surplus bullets with 16 grains of H110 behind them.)

Attachments

• B0486483-CF65-4BB6-B862-E8C00F9594AE.jpeg
      B0486483-CF65-4BB6-B862-E8C00F9594AE.jpeg
      175.9 KB · Views: 29
    That may actually be better than the 300 win mag AR10s.

I doubt he 4570 probably wears out the throat as quickly as the semi automatic 300 win mag