• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake for 16.5" 308?

rob.sfo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Contra Costa County, CA
Does anyone have a muzzle brake recommendation for a 16.5" 308 (in a Desert Tech SRS)? This is my all-purpose "plinking inside 1000" setup, that I'll also be using for hunting, the occasional PRS style match, etc., so I'm looking for a balance between being able to spot hits, short & light weight, not super obnoxious, etc.

Oh yeah, another important fact...I live in CA so it will never have a suppressor on it. :(

Thanks!
Rob

SRS-A2.jpg

Impact Precision. They work very well and the flat ports make concussion much better than other designs. They are also short.

You mention hunting and PRS. A 16” braked 308 will make you deaf if you’re not wearing hearing protection FYI. Also for PRS that setup would probably be the last on the planet I’d recommend. I used to own one. The rear balance of the rifle does not make in conducive to balancing on a bag. Also a 16” 308 bolt gun really has no place in PRS. If you’re just doing it for fun then by all means go for it but it will likely keep you from being competitive against others.

I had one of those 16.5" R700's and put a Heathen brake on it and it worked excellent for controlling recoil. Like amazingly well.
I didn't like the way it mounted on and the large ugly nut that tightens it on the muzzle ( it would loosen up) so switched it for a surefire which is okay but not as good at recoil control.
There is a new model of the Heathen brake out now with a smaller lock nut but haven't tried it, hopefully it solved the loosening as well issue.

Insite Arms.

I've owned APA and Area 419 hellfire brakes and my preference Insite Heathen.