• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brake on a 223

badseed

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
California
I am considering purchasing a Savage 10fcp-k in 223 caliber just to round out my guns and have a relatively cheap/practical rifle on hand. Obviously that model savage has some great advantages over similarly priced others but I question whether or not I will hate the factory muzzle brake. I have only had brakes on larger caliber rifles for obvious reasons but from what I have heard the brake on a 223 will make it much louder. I have even heard of people learning to hate the brake on smaller caliber rifles for reasons. Just looking for a general consensus. I want a 223 and for the price I cannot find another rifle with a 1:9 twist like the fcp-k. Suggestions/opinions?

Re: Brake on a 223

I see no problem with it. If its too loud for your taste you can always just put a flash hider on it for a thread protector. Just my .02

Not really sure if you will benefit much by using a brake on a such a small caliber.

Agreed.. brake is pretty useless on a .223 unless going full auto IMO. If you don't like it on, just remove and put a protector on. The nice thing is you have options.

I took the brake off mine and just put a thread protector on it. Soon it will have a can.
wink.gif

It's threaded 5/8-24 if you wanted to know.