• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake on a .243?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Im building a .243 for tac matches and general varmint mayhem. I usually shoot alone and have to do my own spotting so I use brakes on all my .308s.

My .243 build will have a 26" medium or heavy palma contour and will finish out about 12-13pounds. Does a .243 kick enough to need a brake for what I want? I will be running the 115dtac at about 3000fps and the 75gr Vmax at about 3300.

Re: Brake on a .243?

Not really but putting a brake on will be like shooting something less then a .223. A .223 with a brake would be like shooting a pellet rifle.

I run the 75grn v-max's out of my 700 varmint gun. Recoil is very mild, not enough to recuire a brake IMHO. I've never run the 115s through it though, so I can't say for sure one way or the other there...

I have a brake on every rifle I own, and both of my .243's. I can notice a difference when I take it off, but that's to be expected.

I'm in the air about if it's "neccasary" or not.... I won't lie, less recoil, no matter how managable, is better, but sometimes I just think it makes the rifle obnoxious. I say get it, and at the same time have a cap cut for the muzzle. If you don't like it, screw it off.

The only thing that I would say that sucks about having a brake on a .243 is that when shooting certain matches, it puts me on the "brake'd rifle relay" which usually has me sitting next to a 7mag or 300WM punching me in the face...

Just out of curiosity what kind of brake are you using JRose? I've got a new 300WSM barreled action I'm going to start building on in the next few months which is going to wear a break...

I had a hard time getting use to my 243 SPS varmint after varminting with my RRA AR A4 varmint. The AR had a 24" bull barrel and I could spot all my hits without problem. The SPS with mild loads shooting 70 gr. NBT's has enough muzzle flip that I can't see the hits most of the time. I really miss watching the impact. My next barrel will probably have a brake on it and some extra weight to the profile to be able to spot for myself.

JRose has an JP brake on his. I have a Badger Ordnance. Is it necessary, absolutely not. Is it nice, yes. Plus, you want the wife/girlfriend or both to get into shooting, then what better way with an accurate rifle with no recoil?

As JRose said. Get the brake put on and get a thread protector to match

My .243 Ackley (the Giraffe) weighs close to 15 lbs and pushes the 115's close to 3200 fps and the recoil is next to nothing. Spotting hits as close as 400 yards isn't tough.

I also have a 6mm06 that is close to 10 lbs that does have a brake she throws the 107 SMK's to 3450 fps. Recoil on that one is non existent.

I have a Bennie Cooley brake on my GAP, and a Vias brake on my wifes. Both are effective. Mine has to be timed whereas hers does not.

My 6mm/22-250 weighs about 17 pounds all up with a 26" MTU contour barrel. I purposely built it that heavy so I did not need a brake.

At your weight I would run one if you want a basically no recoil rifle.

Not needed but very nice to have!! There are advantages as mentioned the less the gun moves the better and hell piss your neighbors off as well!!!

I shoot the 105 grains bullets and load them quite hot. Didn't think the recoil needed to be tamed. It's definitely less than the 308 without muzzle brake. IMHO, a muzzle brake would look "tacti-cool", but I don't think it's needed for a 243.

I like muzzle brakes on my rifles pretty much for all the reasons stated above.
And yep...DesertHK...they do ad a bit of "tacti-kool-ness" to a rifle.

Here is a pic of my Tikka T3 Lite in .243 with a 16 1/2" barrel and Vais brake. It feels like shooting a .22 ....pretty much no felt recoil.

I would say ad a brake to your .243.

Take care,Stan

It would be a cold day in hell before I would! Recoil from a 243 is virtually non existant. IMO, about the only things you will get is a rifle that will rupture your eardrums if you shoot it with out hearing protection(hunting), and a bunch of shit flying if your anywhere but a nicely groomed range.

Huh...I hunt with my rifles with brakes on them all the time...yes...I wear electric muffs...even when hunting with a rifle without a brake.

Shoot at ranges all the time...never had a "bunch of shit" fly anywhere. I guess your mileage varies from mine.

Peace,Stan

I've got an FTE on my 6x47L. Not "needed" but very nice to have and you can always remove it if taking hunting or shooting around a bunch of others. Less recoil is always better no matter what caliber you're shooting.

For spotting your own shots varminting - YES! I shoot a variety of calibers and if you want to spot your shot with any descent magnification on your scope and without guessing, a brake is a must! Makes for fun varminting exspecially if you go out by yourself becouse if you miss, even by a little, it's a reticle adjustment and whack! : )

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot at ranges all the time...never had a "bunch of shit" fly anywhere. </div></div>

Thats great, but I hardly ever do, and that was the crux of my comment. Ploping down on a dusty picked bean field or corn field, fresh cut hayfield, in or on the edge of the woods is bad enough with an unbraked rifle, the same scenario with a braked rifle simply sucks.

My .243 with scope weighs about 14.5 lbs...with the 115's at 400 yards the target disappears from view about 90% of the time without being able to spot the impact. Brake it. JMHO

Wow, I was fully expecting to be called a puzzy for asking about braking a .243. Without a brake would it be comparible to a braked .308?

Who ever was using the JP did you use the tank style of the Cooley tactical compensator?

I guess my experience with brakes is limited. I use the old style of Holland and have never had shit flying around. Most people on a line with me do not even notice I have a brake on it.

Without a brake would it be comparible to a braked .308? - No, it will not be comparable. Varminting you will loose the target most of the time. I shoot a .243 and can't spot the shots well at all. My Dad's .243 is a little better (a bit hevier) but not much. He still can't spot his own shots most of the time.

Go with a brake - I love it varminting exspecially when I am by myself for the same exact reason in your post. I can be my own very effective spotter.

Holland's brake and Vias are both sweet. Get a thread protector if you want to be able to run it with or without the brake.

JamieD

Chucks are coming out soon in PA : )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamieD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Chucks are coming out soon in PA : ) </div></div>

My bud is driving throught PA today, and saw several.... Got him a bit fired up! Wish we had more of 'em around here.

I have the style with 2 large ports in the sides as well as 4 small circular holes on top.

The brake is not about being a pussy to me. An un-braked .308 bothers me none, and feels natural. It's just nice to not have the rifle move around as much, for me.

How bout getting a suppressor instead of a brake? It'll reduce recoil, muzzle flash and isn't totally obnoxious to those around you. To me, a muzzle brake is like the teenager cruising down the street with the radio turned up so loud it vibrates the pavement...glad it works for him...the people around him aren't so happy though.
smile.gif

I have a 220 Swift shooting 75 Amax Molys. With the 75's it kicks hard enough with a sps varmint stock that you loose target acquisition when its closer than 400 yds. When I shoot a p-dog, with it, they get about 10 feet long. Really don't need a scope to see them when there that big.

Thanks again guys.

JP, do you have a photo of the mounted brake? Im leaning toward the Cooley and noticed they offered it in two diameters and was not sure how they would look.

Scooter I would love a suppressor but Im stuck in Cali...

I would think with PROPER shoot position you could easily see your hits with a brake.

Guys,
I know a guy that has a brake on a 22-250. Brake is called red mist brake. I think the maker is in Vegas. Can't remember his company name. Neat little brake though.

SOTA

my M70 22 250 has a brake and i love it for watching vaporized varmits off in the distance
just my 2 cents