• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake & Pad

John Skinner

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
missouri
Need a little help. Son just purchased an RRA 308 mid-lenght A4
1. Which m/brake would you recommend.( FSC30 )
2. Slip over butt pad. Buy where.
3. Do you think accuracy would improve with Free Float Tube.
4. I understand for mags you can use FN/FAL metric or inch and some say metric is better.They are running about $23.00 new on auctions.
I can't tell you the accuracy now as he has not been to the range yet.
I have owned many AR15's but never a 308. I would say about the overall rifle it is very nice and the trigger is as good or better than most custom triggers. It is a 2-stage and brakes at 2.5 lbs. Thanking you in advance. jmsjr

Re: Brake & Pad

I am a fan of the PRI/MSTN Quiet Control Brakes (QC Brakes). Also, the JP Bennie Cooly brakes are also good. Lots of folks lately seem to be looking at the FSC30, but I have not used one, so I'll leave that for the more experienced to comment on.

If he must go for a slip-on pad, then the Limbsaver pads are very nice. I don't recall which one works best with the A2 buttstock, but it is on their website. There are also companies making bolt on rubber buttplates for the A2 that replace the standard trapdoor assembly. I don't recall the brands off hand, but I think they are made by Masen.

All of these parts should be available from MidwayUSA, Brownells, etc.

As for mags...you can buy brand new DSA FN/FAL mags for $25. I wouldn't pay nearly that for surplus mags. You can get IMI metric mags for around $20 for new...less for used. Check with Sportsmansguide, etc. for those. Also, you can get used good condition metric mags for around $15.

As for adding a FF handguard, any time that you can free-float a barrel (generally speaking) you should notice an improvement in accuracy. This is true with everything from bolt action rifles to AR-platform rifles. Taking stress/strain/pressure off the barrel is a good thing. No way to tell how much of an accuracy improvement you'll achieve (too many variables like shooter, ammo, quality of the rifle/barrel to begin with, etc.).