• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brake questions..

Bumbellybeak

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
Illinois, USA
Is there a brake out there that doesn't make the rifle so loud for the shooter but still does a good job at reducing recoil? Is there one that brakes well, isn't so loud and still reduces flash?

Re: Brake questions..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it's called a suppressor.</div></div>

I laughed out loud.

but seriously he is correct.

I had a Holland brake on my .308 before getting ready for my incoming suppressor. It worked very, very well. It was not any louder to me behind the gun, but my friends said it was a little louder to them standing off to the side.

+1 one on the original Holland Ultra brake. The newer holland radial brake is darn effective but I would not call it quiet by any means.

To be effective any brake functions by redirecting gases to counter muzzle rise or rearward recoil. Looking at the vent design will give you a pretty good idea of where that gas is going. Most are going to be horrible in the zone from perpendicular from the muzzle to about 30-40degrees back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, it's called a suppressor. </div></div>
LOL- Very true.

It's like saying I want a 700 HP car, and complaining about the gas mileage. For a brake to be effective, it has to redirect the muzzle blast rearward or to the side. The more it deflects this rearward or to the side, the more effective the brake is. So, to reduce the blast would reduce the effectiveness of the brake. It goes hand and hand.

Get a Tubb Brake, its not loud for the shooter, and its adjustable to you, your rifle and shotting style, and its more effective in recoil reduction than my Shark Can.

Ok, I laughed too! But let's assume a suppressor is out of the question. I understand that to an effective brake the gasses and thus noise have to be redirected. Is there one that isn't so very loud for the shooter and, kills flash too?