• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Brake removal

markefuller

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I just read in the NRA High Power rulebook that muzzle brakes are not allowed. I was wanting a GAP build with a nice brake on it. My question is with the Badger FTE brake (or others), can they be removed for matches that do not allow it and re-threaded afterwards by the end user without much gunsmithing skills. I am assuming of course it was properly fitted by an excellent smith in the beginning.

Does accuracy change much with constant removal and replacing one?

Thanks

Re: Brake removal

The Badger FTE can be readily removed and reinstalled by the shooter. Granted, it has to be fitted (muzzle turned and threaded) by a competent 'smith and reamed to spec. In short, one of the better brakes for easy removal as they don't require peel washers and the like to index properly. Here's my rig sporting the FTE.....

700P03.jpg

Re: Brake removal

When you get your rifle made have them to make thread protector to install on the rifle when you have the brake off. Some people make it knurled so that it can be removed by hand. I had my gunsmith to make a thread protector that was profiled to the barrel and he milled a 1/8" hole in bottom of it. I made a spanner wrench of sorts to install/remove the thread protector. If you don't look at the barrel very closely you would never know the barrel is threaded.