• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Brake vs Suppressor

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
With the advancement in both muzzle brakes and suppressors we've seen the last couple of years I'm wondering if one is more favorable over the other in comps like it used to be. When I went to Lone Survivor a couple years ago I was a little surprised at how few suppressors there were. I recently bought a hellfire to try vs my sico omega I've been using, just to see if there is any difference I can tell with my 6 dasher. Interested to hear everyones thoughts.

For comps it's about recoil management. Brakes will reduce recoil more than a can will all things being equal. I use both depending on what kind of shooting I'm doing. If it's straight recoil reduction your after, brakes are your ticket. If it's some recoil reduction and concusion elmination/ noise reduction you will want a can.

I see a few more cans out there these days. I don't think it's technology that's driving that, just the fact that we're down in the realm of tiny 6mm's and 23lb rifles and people start to realize that they could deal with the "recoil penalty" of a can. Brakes still are the clear favorite though.

Own a few suppressors, but only use them in limited roles. I received my Silencer Tech suppressor a few months ago. The unique thing about them is they feel more like a brake than a normal can for the recoil impulse. They use a single or double baffle design. I have the single baffle in 6.5mm and it's 5" long, direct thread. Last year, I had a chance to demo the can shooting a friend's Dasher, and a 6mm BB (6.5x55 necked down to 6mm), and was really surprised that I could stay on target with the suppressor. Not as quiet as most other cans, but when you're behind it out in the open, it's hearing safe. However, once you get next to a building, or under a canopy, or another shooter being off to the side, they still have a crack to them. I plan on using it this season. As far as the limited noise reduction, I look at this way, when at a match, you still need to wear ear pro because of all the others shooting with brakes. So far, I've used it on my 6.5x47 and 6.5 Creedmoor, and really, really like it. Looking forward to trying it on my 6 BRA and 223AI

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC and jsimonh
I'm firmly in the brake camp. I love running cans on my trainers and fun/HD stuff, but my match rig will run a brake only for the forseeable future. I'm also flatly refusing to get on the 6 BR/BRA/Dasher bandwagon and sticking with 6 Creedmoor, and I don't (well, can't) run a stupidly heavy rifle, either, so the brake makes a BIG difference in recoil mitigation.

ive shot a mix of both the past few years...i really want to transition to cans always, but a lot of our matches are in weather thats 95+ degrees and mirage gets crazy even with heavy duty covers...i always end up trying them for a few stages then i take them off...im still going to keep working them in slowly tho lol

Reactions: jsimonh
I've gone back to running a suppressor this season. I've had issues on a couple stages where you are prone, or low to the ground, and the brake blows up a bunch of dust from the ground that gets in your eyes (making them water) and having dust obstructs your view. I also find when up against a culvert pipe, or with one side of the muzzle a few inches from a wall/obstacle, the blast from the brake can push the rifle off target. Having seen more of these types of stages this past year, combined with suppressors providing a much more enjoyable shooting experience, I will accept a small increase in recoil. YMMV.

Reactions: jsimonh
ii really want to transition to cans always, but a lot of our matches are in weather thats 95+ degrees and mirage gets crazy even with heavy duty covers...

Ooh... put the can in a cooler with plenty of ice and water between stages! (getting a little ridiculous to carry around a "can cooler", but... ha ha)

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Shooting a Tikka t3x CTR in 6.5CM I've gone back to a brake from an AAC 7.62 can. I got a huge POI impact at 100 when I put the suppressor on, and never really felt like it was predictable at distance. I may revisit this once I get a direct thread Thunderbeast.

Shot a Border Wars match with an Impact brake today and really liked the ability to stay on target it gave me over my suppressor. I probably won't be going back anytime soon.

Buddy has a TB ultra 9 30 cal. So I bought TB’s muzzle break and put it on one of my 308 rifles. Took off the Badger Ordnance 3 gill that was on it. Shot with just the TB muzzle break, not impressed. Significant felt recoil increase. Shot it with the Ultra 9. Felt less recoil than their break but more than my Badger Ordnance. So I’m back to the Badger Ordnance. Also, still needed hearing protection with the ultra 9. I just don’t get the suppressor/can thing.

I run a Hybrid on my 6.5 CM and serious reduced recoil over any break I've tried. It was consistent out to 1000. Definitely huge PzoI shift when taken off so I leave it on direct thread permanently now.

A suppressor doesn't reduce recoil as much as an average brake, the bigger the calibre the bigger the gap between the two.
A suppressor for the bigger calibres needs to be fairly big/heavy to cope with the powder volume & pressure.
The bigger the barrel profile the larger the suppressor needs to be to get the internal volume, required.
Mirage off the suppressor can be a big issue for multiple shots with the bigger cannons especially.
Brakes are unsociable things at the best of times, some blow stuff around worse than others.
Electronic earmuffs are the answer for hunting, I always use ear plugs & muffs when at the range or steel target shooting.
Some brakes are better than others at directing the muzzle blast/noise away from the shooter.

Reactions: BOLTRIPPER
All my solo practice is with a can so when I go to a shoot I run a can. Used to the same impulse. I just like to keep a consistent system.

Shooting a Tikka t3x CTR in 6.5CM I've gone back to a brake from an AAC 7.62 can. I got a huge POI impact at 100 when I put the suppressor on, and never really felt like it was predictable at distance. I may revisit this once I get a direct thread Thunderbeast.

Definitely revisit once you have direct thread. No joke, with my Tikka CTR I went from completely random POI shifts of 1-8 inches at 100 yards when attaching my Saker. Sometime I"d put the can on and my groups would go from .6 MOA to 4MOA. I was baffled. Can was locked up TIGHT, but it still shot like shit. Then, someone online suggested direct thread, so I gave it a shot. POI shift is almost non existent now and my groups are always right there around .6 MOA. Now that I know what a piece of shit the Trifecta system is I'm quite upset that I bought like 8 muzzle devices for it. If theres a direct thread available for your AAC, you should jut go ahead and get it.

Reactions: TACC
I made the switch back to running suppressed. I have used a threaded suppressor and Area419’s hellfire brake adapter system, and both have worked well.

Yes brakes will have greater recoil reduction. I am still getting reacquainted with the suppressor impulse and ability to stay on target post shot. I have found dialing down the power a little bit helps. If I was running 16-18, I’d be in the 12-14 range.

Last edited:
I’ll be shooting all matches with a can this year. As was said above with the 6mm’s and weight kits, the rifles are amazing to shoot these days, especially suppressed.

Reactions: TACC
Definitely revisit once you have direct thread. No joke, with my Tikka CTR I went from completely random POI shifts of 1-8 inches at 100 yards when attaching my Saker. Sometime I"d put the can on and my groups would go from .6 MOA to 4MOA. I was baffled. Can was locked up TIGHT, but it still shot like shit. Then, someone online suggested direct thread, so I gave it a shot. POI shift is almost non existent now and my groups are always right there around .6 MOA. Now that I know what a piece of shit the Trifecta system is I'm quite upset that I bought like 8 muzzle devices for it. If theres a direct thread available for your AAC, you should jut go ahead and get it.

Unfortunately I didn't do my homework properly, and bought the AAC because it was "A good deal". I just bought their combo brake/flash hider QD mount for 1/2 x 28 and will put it on an AR just for fun shooting, as there is not a direct thread option. I'll get a Thunderbeast in 6.5 and it should work well, but that'll have to wait for a bit. Thanks for adding a data point to my suspicion.

I see a few more cans out there these days. I don't think it's technology that's driving that, just the fact that we're down in the realm of tiny 6mm's and 23lb rifles and people start to realize that they could deal with the "recoil penalty" of a can. Brakes still are the clear favorite though.

This...

In a vacuum, brakes are better than cans for recoil mitigation, however there are other ways to manage it (23lb 6mms definitely help).

Also, maybe I’m just a totty ass bitch but shooting a braked 6 Creed 200+ times over the course of a weekend starts to wear on you.

This...

In a vacuum, brakes are better than cans for recoil mitigation, however there are other ways to manage it (23lb 6mms definitely help).

Also, maybe I’m just a totty ass bitch but shooting a braked 6 Creed 200+ times over the course of a weekend starts to wear on you.

Are you sure it's not just mental fatigue from shooting 16-20 stages in the process of 2 days, and not from recoil/blast, etc?

Comes down to training in my opinion, if you put thousands of rounds down range with a can, youll likely not notice the "difference" in recoil that comes with a can, or a brake for that matter. i usually shoot 1 or so matches a year with a brake just to remind myself why i shoot a can predominantly. in my opinion the blast over the course of a couple hundred rounds takes a toll on me and by then end of day one the last thing i want to do is shoot more. YMMV

Are you sure it's not just mental fatigue from shooting 16-20 stages in the process of 2 days, and not from recoil/blast, etc?

It’s both. Obviously mental fatigue always plays a factor but the point is that recoil/blast doesn’t do anything to help that, at least for me personally.

Obviously you have to do whatever works for you - most of the top guys shoot brakes - but if given the choice between a brake and a can all weekend I am taking the can 10/10 times.

It’s both. Obviously mental fatigue always plays a factor but the point is that recoil/blast doesn’t do anything to help that, at least for me personally.

Obviously you have to do whatever works for you - most of the top guys shoot brakes - but if given the choice between a brake and a can all weekend I am taking the can 10/10 times.

Depending on what ear pro you're using, going to a better quality set or a different style might help with the fatigue from blast. Can't help you on the recoil except to run a bigger brake. Mental fatigue just comes with time and practice.

Once I get a suppressor I'll probably be shooting suppressed 100% of the time.

Brakes are great, but shooting suppressed is so much more pleasant. Hundreds of rounds over a weekend through a brake is a bit exhausting in itself - the fatigue from shooting through an obnoxious brake effects shooters more than most care to admit.

With proper application of fundamentals, I really don't see much of a difference staying on target between suppressed vs unsuppressed, and I really appreciate how much more quiet it is.

Just an update to this thread. I've been using my Impact Brake with great success but I recently did a little side by side comparison. Nothing scientific or anything but I had a buddy record me shooting off of tank traps and barrels while I switched back and forth as quick as possible. On 18ish power the difference in my reticle was coming off target ~4mil with the brake vs ~6ish mil with the suppressor. I'm going to a match this weekend and sticking with the brake namely because I dont have time to re zero with the suppressor before the match. On my 20lb 6 dasher I dont think there is that much difference and will probably go back to my can after this match. On a side note, the extra weight on the end of my barrel seemed to help me settle down a little quicker. Might just be a mental thing though...

I'm in the 19 pound range with my 6 XC setup, and I've shot almost entirely suppressed since I've had the 6XC barrel. In fact, I can say that I've fired exactly 23 rounds un-suppressed since I've had it. I can't tell much difference between the recoil impulse suppressed vs. not personally. Granted I'm using a Thunder Beast CB brake, which I realize might not be 'the best' brake made. However, I can not imagine there is a brake made that would reduce the recoil significantly less to make it worth switching back to a brake.

My Ultra 9 just makes everything sooooo much more pleasant when shooting, which is worth more to me than a marginal reduction in muzzle climb. If you're using good technique, body position, and trigger control on various stage elements then recoil from a 6mm should be a non issue.

Now if you're shooting a production class where weight is outside of your control, or tactical where you're dealing with the recoil of a 308 then obviously you're going to have to see what works best for you.

Reactions: TACC and jsimonh
Shot a match over the weekend with rifle being required to be in a tube, can you guess which shooters came out of that unhappier than others? :rolleyes:

But, can now say I know how it feels to be inside a suppressor, so theres that.

I wish more people would shoot suppressed in general. I’ve shot all my matches suppressed. My best finish was top 10, so that’s not a lot of merit, but I highly doubt using a brake instead of a suppressor would’ve made the outcome any different.

Reactions: vigildom7
I have found it is location dependent as well. ROing matches in the south east, it’s all Dashers and brakes. You go to a NRL match in Wyoming, and I would say 20% or more was running a suppressor from a quick glance around.

I will take the extra recoil to have a bit more comfort and when shooting. I’ve also bumped over the head ear pro before mid stage...no fun.

If you ever go to team matches, I also find many more run suppressed because it makes it so much easier to communicate.

What do most of you feel is a good all around suppressor size? I hear people saying they get 7” suppressors but wish they had the 9”, then some also say they just have the tbac 338 ultra which is ~10” and works better than all the others including during prs matches.

Anyone with experience between these able to point me in the right direction?

Cant help with the ones you mentioned but I run a SiCo Omega and have debated taking the anchor brake off in favor of the flat end cap to make it 6".

Reactions: mpl2353
What do most of you feel is a good all around suppressor size? I hear people saying they get 7” suppressors but wish they had the 9”, then some also say they just have the tbac 338 ultra which is ~10” and works better than all the others including during prs matches.

Anyone with experience between these able to point me in the right direction?

Really its all based on personal preference, and experience handling the gun, if you're in tight quarters a lot I would obviously suggest a shorter configuration, with that being said, Matt G. AI team captain has been running a 338 ultra on an AXMC and other variants for years with no issue, and crushes with it. YMMV

Reactions: mpl2353