• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brakes: Dumb Question Here

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Been reading about muzzle brakes; OK I understand the concept for heavy kicking guns, etc.

But, I've been reading about putting brakes on subsonic guns, 338 Whatever.

When I was a pup and wanted something "subsonic" or light recoil for gallary shooting, or varments when you dont nead a heavy rifle we just called them REDUCED LOADS using cast or jacketed bullets. I've loaded and shot thousands of them, 308 & '06 out of a M14 or Garand, using lead bullets in 50 ft indoor ranges at NRA Small Bore targets. Or plinking with heavy shooters (like my 416 Rigby and such).

Shoot, I've read tons of articles in old NRA mags about reduced loads in military rifles for shooting in National Guard indoor ranges. Gallary loads is what they were called.

My question is, if you take a kicking rifle in 300 WM or 338 Lup, and reduse the load so's its shooting subsonic;

<span style="font-weight: bold">Why do you need a brake???</span>

Re: Brakes: Dumb Question Here

Im pretty sure if people are using reduced loads in a heavy round more then likely they also shoot full loads, so i would just assume that the break would be for the full loads that do have alot of recoil

I don't know of many people who shoot those calibers at that short of distance.

I shoot with a break on my 15 lb 308 for 2 reasons. First I have tendon problems in my right shoulder and recoil is a bad thing for it. With it I can shoot all day and not even be tired

Second is it makes it easier for me to stay on target. I know this is me doing something wrong blah blah but it helps me out

I can't honestly say I know of anyone who would every shoot a .338 at 100 yards unless it's just to sight the thing in...

Maybe they're used in place of thread protectors while the can isn't on. I'm not sure as I don't use brakes.