• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Brakes on hunting rifles

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
Do you guys have brakes on your hunting rifles? I am thinking of putting one on my 300 win. Thanks

Re: Brakes on hunting rifles

Yes,

I have them on 3 of my hunting rifles:
.300 Win Mag
300 WSM
300 RUM

I use the Vais brake and they work really well!! (They are loud m'fer's though) Some guys remove them to hunt, I usually don't, I just use hearing protection (simple foam ear plugs).

I have brakes on some of the larger magnums, but take them off when I'm hunting. You will never notice the recoil when you shoot an animal.

+1million on the hearing protection!! Definately gonnna need a good set of them if you are planning on braking. I have one on my 300 RUM and it really tones the felt recoil down a lot and makes it not so punishing to shoot.

i hunt with what i practice with.

i got dope for everything to include cans and breaks

I hunt with my match rifles. Invest in your rifle, set it up for what you do most with it, then use it for everything else also.

Let me ask you this: Will putting a brake on it encourage you to practice more at the range with it?

Bolt - just saw your post above. Missed you at the Cup. Hope things are going more smoothly now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hunt with what i practice with.

i got dope for everything to include cans and breaks

</div></div>

+1, if you take it off, you might have POI change.
I dont notice recoil when I shoot animals, but I dont notice the noise either.

I got my 300WN Mag-a-Port,takes the sting out but most of the noise is there. I can live with that. But the >375 Hand H has a Vasi brake fitted to the barrel. The noise is way,way down and the recoil is very manageable,like a .270. I loaded up some target rounds for my brother who shoots a stock Remy 300WM. Well,he shot. Turns and loks at me like,"Daddy,it hurts!" There are shooters and then they are shooters. Shows quickly.

They make the recoil more manageable but are LOUD and blow dirt/sand/leaves all over when fired prone. I don't use them on my hunting rifles.

I use on FTE on a 300 win mag. I can take it off with no problem and go with out or with a can!!! Very affective and no problems with it.

I have one on my .308 that I use for everything, and it stays on there when I'm hunting.

However, I also wear an electronic headset when I hunt. My hearing is bad enough that the boost from the headset puts me on par with people who have normal hearing and the noise from the brake isn't a problem.

NO I don't use brakes on my hunting rifles, there's really no point. Unless your hunting with someone in your hunting party that you don't like...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dexter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO I don't use brakes on my hunting rifles, there's really no point. </div></div>

unless you like spotting your own hits...
grin.gif

I don't use breaks on my hunting rifles because i have been next to people a couple of times who shot when i was under the impressin they weren't going to and any louder would have been even more unpleant.

I usually shoot the rifle maybe 30-35 times at most at any one range session. I am kind of used to it. I have a break on a 308 I just punch paper with and it is nice to see your hits. I do worry about the added noise with a hunting rifle though. Thanks

I have brakes on most of my rifles from hunting to match. Spotting my own hits at distance is a huge advantage. I always wear ear protection, so the noise isn't a factor. Sometimes they blow a little snow or dirt, but its a small price to pay to watch impact...hit or miss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hunt with my match rifles. Invest in your rifle, set it up for what you do most with it, then use it for everything else also.

Let me ask you this: Will putting a brake on it encourage you to practice more at the range with it?
</div></div>

Works for me ......... Vais on a 300WM and like it. Fun to watch a 190gr Berger break 'em down or flip 'em.