• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Braking effect of a suppressor

mrjimsfc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Centerville, Utah
How much brake effect does a typical suppressor provide? I know that some muzzle brakes claim to reduce recoil by as much as 70%-75% but I doubt that a suppressor will provide that sort of reduction.

Re: Braking effect of a suppressor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">67.37% </div></div>
Most excellent!! Does anyone know how I can get a "Reflex Suppressor" (made in Finland) here in the U.S. of A.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">67.37% </div></div>
Most excellent!! Does anyone know how I can get a "Reflex Suppressor" (made in Finland) here in the U.S. of A.? </div></div>

Huh? You want a reflex can out of Finland imported into the USA?

Not going to happen. Cannot import Class3 items into the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh? You want a reflex can out of Finland imported into the USA?

Not going to happen. Cannot import Class3 items into the US. </div></div>
I know they can't be imported, but does some outfit in the U.S. have a license to manufacture the (Finnish) Reflex suppressor?
blush.gif

A silencer is the most effective recoil reduction system available, the Reflex silencer is one of the loudest designs made, US made products are much better, because of the hassle of the paperwork and fees involved, making the product out of stamped tin is not the way it is done here, quality machined silencers made to last a lifetime of usage rather than disposable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh? You want a reflex can out of Finland imported into the USA?

Not going to happen. Cannot import Class3 items into the US. </div></div>
I know they can't be imported, but does some outfit in the U.S. have a license to manufacture the (Finnish) Reflex suppressor?
blush.gif
</div></div>

Im sure there are guys out there that could build you a custom can. Won't be cheap though. Why not buy one of the US made reflex style cans? You have a few options all varying in price.

In very general terms:

Comparing the most effective (in terms of recoil energy reduction) muzzle brake to the most effective suppressor solely on reduction in recoil energy.

If the system(s) have equal mass the brake will be significantly more effective.

If I had to make a completely unsubstantiated guess, I would peg your most effective brake at 55-65 percent recoil reduction and the suppressor at something close to 35-45 percent recoil reduction (if the mass of the systems were similar).

HTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not buy one of the US made reflex style cans? You have a few options all varying in price. </div></div>
OK! I'm new at the suppressor game though and don't know where to find a reflex style U.S. made "can". How about a couple of suggestions?
crazy.gif

Don't know how much of a hard-on you have for a reflex style. But I'd strongly suggest Suppressed Armament Systems. Have met Tim personally, a good guy with a great product. Good luck on your acquisition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaPDesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had to make a completely unsubstantiated guess, I would peg your most effective brake at 55-65 percent recoil reduction and the suppressor at something close to 35-45 percent recoil reduction (if the mass of the systems were similar). HTH </div></div>

I'm estimating that the mass of the suppressor (with the can and baffles) is about twice that of the brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolfanatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know how much of a hard-on you have for a reflex style. But I'd strongly suggest Suppressed Armament Systems. Have met Tim personally, a good guy with a great product. Good luck on your acquisition. </div></div>
Reflex style simply means a shorter profile for me deal with. I simply don't want the extra length of a typical suppressor on the end of the barrel. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A silencer is the most effective recoil reduction system available, the Reflex silencer is one of the loudest designs made, US made products are much better, because of the hassle of the paperwork and fees involved, making the product out of stamped tin is not the way it is done here, quality machined silencers made to last a lifetime of usage rather than disposable.

</div></div>

A well designed brake will easily reduce recoil more then a suppressor. APA LB or FB, Badger FTE, Sako Brake, or the Tubbs brake reduces recoil better then any suppressor that I have shot. And you might want to tell Ops Inc their products are loud. lol

OPS INC silencers at ADCO

These go back over the barrel as reflex designs do. From what I have read is baffles in front of the muzzle are vastly more efficient than a large blast chamber behind the muzzle. Since silenceres are expensive and paperwork is a hassle not many people want to trade more noise for a shorter can. Because of this the 30 cal Ops Inc cans still stick out from the muzzle about 7" to get good performance.

I own a reflex type can (Surefire M4FA).

Do yourself a favor and buy a can that doesn't mount over the barrel.

Reflex cans severely limit your options for mounting the can on multiple host guns and they aren't really any quieter. You'll save about 1-2" of OAL at most. It's just not worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valmet76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reflex cans severely limit your options for mounting the can on multiple host guns and they aren't really any quieter. You'll save about 1-2" of OAL at most. It's just not worth it. </div></div>
I hadn't realized there is so little difference in OAL. Is steel better than titanium? It is cheaper.
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hadn't realized there is so little difference in OAL. Is steel better than titanium? It is cheaper.
cry.gif
</div></div>

I thought through all of the same things you are when I bought my can. Then I got it and realized that reflex cans aren't all they're cracked up to be.

For comparison, my suppressor adds 3.75" past the muzzle, a non-reflex Surefire can adds 4.6".

I would get a steel/inconel can, not titanium, assuming this is for an AR and not a bolt gun.

To quote a wise man:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aside from Sound Suppression, aka being a civilized shooter you have:

Recoil Management, which allow for quicker follow up shots, reduced recoil also allows you to spot your own shots more effectively at closer distances. A suppressor is in fact the finest muzzle brake on the market today. With a muzzle brake a 338 feels like a 308.

Suppressors increase velocity, and help direct the gases out of the path of the bullet which assists in accuracy. </div></div>
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=232613&nt=3&page=1

Mr.

What are you doing? You have a lot to learn. Start searching the past threads. Finland? Reflex? Steel vs Titanium? OAL? Can "mass" as a brake? Ridiculous....

Get reading...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr.

What are you doing? You have a lot to learn. Start searching the past threads. Finland? Reflex? Steel vs Titanium? OAL? Can "mass" as a brake? Ridiculous....

Get reading... </div></div>
Well, I thought I was.....reading that is....
The problem is, there are so many conflicting reports! Even here where shooters are actually using suppressors in real life situations. Why Finland? Because I've been there (actually right in the city of Joensuu where the Reflex Suppressor is made). Finland has a reputation for "good stuff" when guns are the question. Hence, Lapua - Finnish, Sako(TRG)- Finnish, Vihtavuori powder - Finnish, ect. You see my point? The real purpose of getting a suppressor for me is, I want to shoot a .338 (Lapua of course) without losing any more of my hearing and also be able to shoot a lot without experiencing pain (well, the wallet might hurt a bunch but it's not the same). Why a .338? Elk & moose of course! Why titanium? Because it's lighter and I have to carry the dang thing up and down mountains, big mountains! Mass? I don't know. Somebody else on this forum said it makes a difference. Do I still have a lot to learn? Oh yeah! That's why I'm here.
blush.gif
Reading? More of it! You make an excellent point with that one. It makes a difference <span style="font-style: italic">what</span> one reads <span style="font-style: italic">where</span> though (another reason why I'm <span style="font-weight: bold">now</span> on this forum).
grin.gif