• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brand new 22creedmoor pressure problems

6.5guys2

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Tn
I have a brand new 22 creed proof carbon barrel defiance tenacity action thunderbeast ultra 9cb. I am running alpha brass and was trying to get a load but even while breaking in the barrel I was getting a heavy bolt lift so I just kept backing down the H4350 powder weight from 39gr on a v3 auto trickler and went plum down to 36gr and still getting heavy bolt lift with slight ejector marks the shoulder is going from virgin 1.575 to 1.582/1.580 wat am I doing wrong

Take some alcohol or some kind of solvent, Ballisol or something like it, and clean your brass, and clean out your chamber. It could be one or the other.

Reactions: 338dude
I have a brand new 22 creed proof carbon barrel defiance tenacity action thunderbeast ultra 9cb. I am running alpha brass and was trying to get a load but even while breaking in the barrel I was getting a heavy bolt lift so I just kept backing down the H4350 powder weight from 39gr on a v3 auto trickler and went plum down to 36gr and still getting heavy bolt lift with slight ejector marks the shoulder is going from virgin 1.575 to 1.582/1.580 wat am I doing wrong
Do they chamber easily?
Are there any scraping/rubbing marks on the walls of the brass?

Chamber like nothing and not to bad maybe a few scratches not that’s about it and the brass has no lube wat so ever and I clean the chamber every time I clean it so it don’t have anything in it either

This is the brass primers r flat but not cratering at all this is wat the scratches look like

Attachments

• C2B8B11C-6DA5-4FAC-BAF4-2327C984EDC9.jpeg
    C2B8B11C-6DA5-4FAC-BAF4-2327C984EDC9.jpeg
    697.6 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 90
You may try comparing dimensions between unfired and fired brass to see if anything beyond what you would ordinarily expect sticks out.

Reactions: spife7980
No my gun smith and he knows we he is doing lol

Well it seems to work well with my 6 dasher my 22br 22gt 6creed and every other wild cat I own just looking for some help on the one as I am new to the caliber

Only thing I can think of is maybe my chamber need to b roughed up a lil so the brass will grab because with fired brass a bullet will go straight in it withy fingers

Only thing I can think of is maybe my chamber need to b roughed up a lil so the brass will grab because with fired brass a bullet will go straight in it withy fingers
Of course it would. It’s fired. It got bigger.

73g eld 3376 22in barrel
That’s not super fast but it’s not super slow either.
I’d take it easy this firing and see if it happens again after a little case forming and hardening. This is ocd brass of relatively recent manufacture, correct?

Not saying to find a slower powder either but I really liked the magnum powders (rl26 was the tits but it’s unavailability is why I no longer have a 22creed after I finished up the last of it).

Edit: another thought, I don’t know your freebore, presumably a .062 or more but still, you aren’t jamming the bullets are you? How far from touching the lands?

Last edited:
I don’t have anything loaded right now it will b tomorrow befor I can get ya that

Ok so today I went back to the range and shot again today I started with 40.5gr of h4350 with second fired brass seating depth is 2.555 to the tip of the bullet and it shoots amazing but that’s with second fired brass ok so then I loaded some virgin brass and boom it starts getting a tight bolt lift again same as before leaving ejector marks and this is all with same powder charge and same seating depth as the second fired brass ok so I also have some lapua 6creed brass so I size it down and run a mandrel threw it and load it with 40gr of 4350 seat the bullet the same but it comes out about .005 longer than the alpha brass I shoot that and get roughly 50fps faster and no sticky bolt but if I go up in powder I can get a sticky bolt lift with it as well

Now, what are your plans? I would size all my virgin brass and run a mandrel through it.

JFR

Already tried that as well no matter how lose I get the bullet it still has pressure

Too much headspace? I had similar issue where brass was slamming back into the bolt face and along with a burr around ejector looked like pressure signs. After cleaning up the burr and jamming on the first firing all false pressure signs went away.

73g eld 3376 22in barrel

Running your data through QL says that velocity is around 65kPSI. On paper you're loading well below max charge weight but your chronograph says you're at max. Combine new brass with .007" of shoulder movement and that's probably why you're seeing pressure signs with the Alpha, and not the necked 6CM Lapua. Your Lapua brass load is over max but probably more tolerant due to hardness and shorter headspace. Your Alpha brass would probably be happier if you went down to 36gr and jammed the lands for the first firing.

I guess I didn't completely understand post #26. It was tough reading. Was virgin brass sized?

JFR

Last edited:
Ok so apparently this thing does not like h4350 but it loves varget for now witch is even better for me I can push it to pressure but I do not have to I am running 100fps faster with no pressure at all witch puts me right we’re I wanted to b in the first place same seating depth all is the same other than a diff powder and powder weight charge it will shoot virgin brass Aswell as 1st fired brass

No virgin brass wasn’t sized it came out to fit great in the gun other than being a.005 shoulder jump but in saying that I will try jamming and going to 36gr of 4350 just to c if it works but when I loaded some at 36gr I was getting some hang fires for some reason and yea I’m not good with Grammar and punctuation at all I’m to lazy for it anyway

How's accuracy? Keep us posted.

JFR