• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brand New AR-15 Bol Question

Raider Power

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm working on building out my first upper and ran into what may or may not be an issue. I think I'm probably just being cautious because it's the first time I've put everything together myself.

I bought a complete Young Manufacturing bolt carrier group for this upper and the fit between the bolt and the bolt carrier is significantly tighter than any other AR I have or have handled. It functions in the upper, but there's a noticeable hang up currently as it goes into battery. When I've bought ARs new I don't remember the fit being this tight. I also compared it to an almost new bolt carrier group that has about 50 rounds on it and it was still noticeable tighter.

My question/concern is is this normal for a new unfired bolt in a new carrier? Or is this normal for young manufacturing bolt carriers? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I haven't checked with the manufacturer or vendor yet either. I thought I'd tap into the knowledge here first.

It is hard to tell what is "too tight" versus fairly normal, especially for a brand new BCG, without having it in hand and feeling it operate.

I would just lube it up thoroughly and run the snot out of it. If it runs...it runs. If not...well...then you may have an issue, but I highly doubt it and it will likely smooth out with more use (~50 rounds isn't even a couple full mags so I wouldn't sweat anything at this point in time). The Young BCGs can be tight (even somewhat "oversized" if the NM variety) but not to the extent that they impede proper function of the rifle/carbine they are installed in.

If you mean tight as in the bolt rotating back into the carrier, that's somewhat normal from my own experiences with new BCG's.

A little coat of Slip2k, a few mag's run, it'll loosen up some.

There was a period in time when Young's made purposely tight carriers, with slightly larger OD on the rails, and these would hang-up in uppers that weren't built or assembled with them in mind.

I would consider polishing the 4 guide rails on the carrier using jeweler's white rouge and a cotton buffing wheel, testing frequently for fit in the upper.

Could also try dry-cycling the bcg a bunch. I know my AR did the same when it was new, so much so that it made it hard to charge with the scope in the way and the std charging handle. Lube, dry fire, and 300 rounds later it's quite smooth.

I got this stick of TNT, if I light the fuse how much time will I have to get away