• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brand new savage .308 wont fire !

Scatt_Nasty

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Huachuca, AZ
So I take my brand new Savage 10fcp with the HS Stock out to the local 600 yard range today.
Ive got my calipers, hand loading rounds with different powders to test, ballistics cards ready, the works.

I set my target out to 75 yards to get on paper. Come back and throw one in. Click. Nothing. I eject the round and there isn't even a scratch on the primer.

I removed the bolt and everything looked ok, tried again. Still nothing. Anyone have any Ideas ?

Re: Brand new savage .308 wont fire !

Are you sure the bolt was there, you were not dreaming, you have it, 100% sure?

Sorry, inside joke bro!
grin.gif

On a note, maybe a little more info is needed. It is going "click" when you squeeze the trigger right?

It's making the click sound like the firing pin is coming out. But there is nothing there. The Accutrigger locks back and when re chambered it comes forward like it should. The firing pin for some reason just isn't hitting the primer.

Anyone got an idea? Broken pin, spring?

Can you see the pin if you remove the bolt and look into the little hole?

Gotta be a Savge dude or two out there that may have some ideas or best guesses.

Did you pull the bolt out of the rifle & rotate the body to allow the firing pin to go all the way forward to see how much of the pin is protruding? Anthony

firing pin issues is all I can think of, maybe its broken or too short or something.

I know savage has a safety on the accutrigger where if you pull it from the side it wont fire. I can replicate this and tell the difference, even when pull perfect the pin will not come forward

I just pulled the bolt on my Striker & have ample pin protrusion when allowed forward. If you don't have this I'd either take apart or go for warranty if new. Anthony

Ok so to the rear
DSC06477.jpg

Nothing
DSC06478.jpg

Forward
DSC06481.jpg

Whala, tons of pin.
DSC06483.jpg

Now this is my first savage and I don't know if Im dicking something up or what. I even put a small peice of electrical tape over the primer hole to test and didnt get anything. At the range today I tried with 4 different rounds, factory and handloaded and the primer was completely clean.

something could be wrong with the blade on the trigger.....sometimes if i dont fully press the blade on the trigger it just clicks...it is a glock type safety system..but it still allows you to pull the trigger...

bench

Make sure that the Accu-blade is pulled all the way back with the trigger when you pull the trigger. If the blade is not pulled back with the trigger, the trigger will release the sear and the sear catches on the blade as a safety feature, resulting in the CLICK.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

I have seen on 700s where if the scope base screws was switched and the long screws was put in over top of the bolt lug, in turn they would hit the lug on the bolt and not allow it to close all the way. I have no idea on a savage if this could be the case, but something to look at..

The rifle should have been test fired prior to leaving the factory. It does look like you have plenty of pin protrusion to do the job.

Sorry, but I am at a loss as to what is going on... Give Savage a call and tell them what's going on with it. I am sure they will make it right for ya!!

DK

The safety mechanism on the trigger is releasing, and it won't drop the firing pin. Cock the rifle and pull the side of the trigger without touching the safety blade in the middle of the trigger. It will go click but not drop the firing pin. One thing that might couse it is you have the trigger adjusted too light. Take the barreled action out of the stock, add a little more tension on the trigger pull adjustmend. Cock the bolt and pull the trigger (make sure it is empty : ) and see if it fires.

Hope it helps,
JamieD

I would call savage...and maybe send it in for warranty work. You want to make sure you fix it right the first time. Nothing worse than a new rifle that doesn't function correctly.

i dont know if this helps, but when i cock my rifle then depress the trigger and center blade on my rifle, the bolt handle jumps upward. if i cock it and depress the trigger only, not the center blade, the bolt handle barely just barely jumps. you said you had different loads to test, so you should have some primed cases? that will save you a trip to the range at least. you got me so worried i just went and popped one off myself. god i love that smell. im sure you know how to pull a trigger so you might take the bolt apart and see whats what. do you need a picture of an exploded view? maybe its the spring ...

4333606257_d8ede9f1b9_o.jpg

Ok I finally figured it out. I took the action out, did a functions test on the accutrigger/safety etc. I tightened the trigger pull all the way, and loosened it. Everything was flawless. And then I noticed the rear baffle. There is a small groove that the little metal ball seats into. Well mine was off for some reason allowing the rear baffle to move if forced. I aligned it and fired off a peice of primered brass in the house just to make sure haha.
Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully Ill have a picture heavy post around tuesday when I get out to the range.

sweet. glad to hear that. like i said i got so scared i had to check mine, i have the same rifle