• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brand new to suppressors...

Glock1943

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2021
Huntsville, AL
Hey fellas, I recently purchased a DD M4A1 and would like to purchase a suppressor for this. I'm prior military police but we never got into the suppressor world, so I'm a complete newb. Besides noise reduction what am I looking for in a high quality suppressor? The two initial one's I'm looking at are the DD Soundguard or the SureFire SOCOM556-RC2. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Hey fellas, I recently purchased a DD M4A1 and would like to purchase a suppressor for this. I'm prior military police but we never got into the suppressor world, so I'm a complete newb. Besides noise reduction what am I looking for in a high quality suppressor? The two initial one's I'm looking at are the DD Soundguard or the SureFire SOCOM556-RC2. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
The DD’s are made by KGM I believe so I have no doubt they are good to go. If it was me I’d do the surefire if you are only choosing between those two. I have no doubt 30 other people will come long and recommend others.

Reactions: Glock1943
It will help if you define your needs. For example if you are going to be shooting indoors a lot a low back pressure can like the huxworks are good to investigate. Weight is another concern for a lot of people. Personally I carefully calculated out weight before I started building up an AR. A pound isn't much but put that pound out on the end of a broom stick and then tell me how it feels after an hour.

To me, by far the most important thing is the mounting system with weight being a secondary concern.

Some people hunt pigs at night so for them flash suppression is important.

There are a lot of different criteria so no one size fits all answers from me. Just prioritize what you want most of.

Some things to consider with suppressors:

- Length and weight
- How you are going to mount it
- Firing schedule, and the rating of the suppressor
- Sound suppression
- "Backpressure" - not so much a consideration on bolt guns, but certainly a consideration for semi-autos
- Mirage and heat mitigation
- Precision
- Cost $$$

With a semi-auto, "back pressure" will certainly be a consideration. DI guns can be pretty unpleasant to shoot with some suppressors, as they can be pretty gassy. Also make sure you get a suppressor that's rated for your firing schedule - FA rated cans are nice for semi autos. No need to really overthink mounting, but there are a lot of options out there.

I have an Abel Co. Biscuit that I bought for dual use between my DI ar-15 and bolt guns, and it works great on the ar-15 (bolt gun too). It suppresses well without shooting gas in my face (unlike my wife's Omega). Thunderbeast Dominus is certainly worth a look. My friend has Surefire's and he's really happy with them on his semi's. Other's really like the DA Sandman for semi platforms.

The DD’s are made by KGM I believe so I have no doubt they are good to go. If it was me I’d do the surefire if you are only choosing between those two. I have no doubt 30 other people will come long and recommend others.
You're correct, they are made by KGM. The surefire weighs less and is shorter so those may be things to take into consideration too.

Please explain the mounting system? The DD sales rep said I would need a Keymo muzzle device for my particular rifle. I still don't know what all is needed to go with a suppressor so I'm going to have to continue to research before I make this purchase. I read somewhere that due to a DD M4A1 being pinned it makes using a suppressor a little more difficult.

One thing to keep in mind is that suppressors tend to generate a lot of fanboi's that have undying loyalty to specific brands and models. I guess the long wait times and lack of ease of selling generates a strong response for some to seek confirmation for the suppressor they bought.

Keep that in mind as people throw suggestions to you as a first time suppressor buyer or as you look elsewhere for information.

Please explain the mounting system? The DD sales rep said I would need a Keymo muzzle device for my particular rifle. I still don't know what all is needed to go with a suppressor so I'm going to have to continue to research before I make this purchase. I read somewhere that due to a DD M4A1 being pinned it makes using a suppressor a little more difficult.

For whatever reason, every suppressor company has their own proprietary mounting system. Keymo is Dead Air's. A lot of suppressors are threaded 1-3/8x24, so that allows you to change out the mounting system if you want a specific can but a different way to mount it.

All mounting systems have their nuances. Some have secondary retention, others are more simple. Some are heavy, some are light. Some are designed with only semi's/ar-15's in mind, others with semi's and bolt guns. Some have a higher chance of launching suppressors if you skip a mounting step. Some are more prone to getting carbon locked, etc.

As far as the pinned goes, yes due to the barrel length you have to have a muzzle device that's longer than 1.5" pinned to the rifle so it isn't an SBR. Unless you have the skillset and tools to do it yourself, you will have to take it to a gunsmith to change out muzzle devices. You will have to get a muzzle device for whatever suppressor you end up using. The DD Soundguard has the standard 1-3/8x24, so you can use whatever mount you want. That could be Keymo. Or ASR. Or Q Plan B/Rearden. etc.

It’s probably pinned muzzle device that is likely a surefire so there is that………

In short it's how the suppressor fits on the rifle.

Some have direct threads to screw right on the muzzle. The downside to this method is if you are doing a lot of shooting the constant recoil can basically wobble the can loose and/or change the orientation of the can. Things like deer hunting will be fine but machine gun fire might not.

Some have all sorts of quick detach. Some of those might be secure but others might have a bit of play in them which can impact your accuracy in some cases.

A lot of companies use a variation of a taper mount. You screw a muzzle device on the gun and the can mounts to the muzzle device. A lot of them are engineered so that tapered surfaces inside the can mate up with the tapered surface on the muzzle device. This way allows for more friction to keep the can from coming loose while still maintaining the same orientation every time you put the can on the rifle. There are several flavors of this concept out there.

There are probably a lot more options out there than that but just examine each for pros and cons.

Keymo is
Keymo is the best mount imo if you want one that locks. It screws into the back of the can and ratchets down to the muzzle device(sold separately). Theyre on the heavy side and expensive but lock up rock solid and dont get stuck on. Fyi they come in 2 thread sizes so make sure you het the right one. Only advice ill say on cans is .30 is a great way to go for the first. Very little difference in the sound and less backpressure than a 223 bore. And it also can be used on and .30. If youre budget minded check out rex silentium. Couldnt be happier with mine and i have quite a few to compare it to.

Agree. Surefire at least gets you some ubiquity in moving cross-platforms. In fact, the 762 MINI2 is the same size as the 556 RC2, and fit the same adapters. This would give you the ability to move to a .308 rifle as well.

Like others have said, there are lots of other good choices. But, if you start looking into every suppressor, you take months to decide. You can never go wrong with Surefire. I might have some others to point you toward, as others do as well. Surefire is tested in battle, their factory is ISO9001 something production perfect, so you don't see defects. If you want more modern technology, Hrxurx (OSS) and CGS make some of the most amazing 3-D printed cans, which are probably more of the future. Dead Air and Thunder Beast have a great reputation as well. I like the Sierra 5 for 5.56.

Take your time, but do not delay much. The line keeps getting longer for Form 4 approvals.

Dont over think it either. You'll be happy with whatever you get if its your first and i can almost guarantee it wont be your last. Im running out of guns to put them on.

Reactions: longshot2000
Pewscience.com will give you quantitative data on sound suppression performance. Direct thread is the easiest, lightest and cheapest mounting option.

Pewscience.com will give you quantitative data on sound suppression performance. Direct thread is the easiest, lightest and cheapest mounting option.

Not an option without his rifle becoming an SBR.

He'll have to get a mount that's at least 1.5" and get it pinned.

Dont over think it either. You'll be happy with whatever you get if its your first and i can almost guarantee it wont be your last. Im running out of guns to put them on.
That's exactly what I end up doing, over thinking it. I am very prone to that, almost to the point of not buying one. I'm either going with the DD or Surefire so at least I have it narrowed to those two.

That's exactly what I end up doing, over thinking it. I am very prone to that, almost to the point of not buying one. I'm either going with the DD or Surefire so at least I have it narrowed to those two.
If it's a suppressor that is going to be dedicated to that rifle and that rifle only, take a look at the Otter Creek Labs OCM5. It's basically the modern version of the old Allen Engineering AEM5 suppressors that were used on the military Mk12 rifles.

Here's a link to @HansohnBrothers website. They're a great Class3 dealer, and are a regular here on the site. I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out.

Not sure how long this OTB mount is, but it might be over 1.5" to have it pinned, and still get you over the 16" legal limit. I'd contact @AndrewKing of Otter Creek Labs to find out for sure, though.

Dead Air just came out with a bad ass new 5.56 suppressor called the Sierra 5. I’d give it a look. Suppose to be pretty darn good overall can

Another great option for a dedicated 5.56 suppressor is the Otter Creek Labs Polonium. It is ranked #1 on the PEW Science charts for sound suppression at the muzzle. And it's only $550 MSRP.

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 7.34.04 PM.png

Another great option for a dedicated 5.56 suppressor is the Otter Creek Labs Polonium. It is ranked #1 on the PEW Science charts for sound suppression at the muzzle. And it's only $550 MSRP.

View attachment 7984733

Seems like there are lots of other suppressors that have better suppression at the shooters ear on an ar-15 than the polonium.

The Huxworx cans seem to be the king of the hill based on that chart. The Surefire's do alright as well.

Suppressors. Ask 30 people and get 40 conflicting opinions.

Noise suppression
Flash suppression
Point of impact shift
Effects on accuracy (really precision)
Length
Weight
Diameter
Firing schedule
Caliber restrictions
Adaptability
Durability

These are the factors that I can think of, that one can consider when deciding upon a suppressor. Some are trade offs, like overall size and suppression level, or weight and durability.

There are 3 good options imo.

No tuning and almost zero added back pressure
Huxwrx flow 556k

This silencer is the easy button. Best at ear suppression as well. The DD rifle is probably overgassed anyway so going up in buffer weight might be beneficial anyway.

Next Surefire RC2

Great balance of ear and muzzle suppression. Will need tuning to reduce gas in face, a bit heavy total system weight.

OCL Polonium K
Small and lightweight with performance close but just below the RC2. Will also need tuning.

As far as mount on the polonium k I would go with the Rearden Atlas system personally.

There are 3 good options imo.

No tuning and almost zero added back pressure
Huxwrx flow 556k

This silencer is the easy button. Best at ear suppression as well. The DD rifle is probably overgassed anyway so going up in buffer weight might be beneficial anyway.

Next Surefire RC2

Great balance of ear and muzzle suppression. Will need tuning to reduce gas in face, a bit heavy total system weight.

OCL Polonium K
Small and lightweight with performance close but just below the RC2. Will also need tuning.

As far as mount on the polonium k I would go with the Rearden Atlas system personally.
What exactly is tuning and how is that done?

Changing buffer and spring weights to keep the bolt closed longer to reduce gas in the face. I wouldn’t stress about that too much tho. The M4 is over gassed from the get go. You will just have to accept gas in the face but unless you are doing a very aggressive firing schedule you’ll be fine.

By increasing mass or reducing gas.

Buffer weights is easy. A sprinco blue spring and h2 or h3 buffer is a good combo.

Adjustable gas block or a brt eztune gas tube is an option as well. A little more involved. Many will do the eztune and buffer tuning.

With the huxwrx you don't really need to mess with it. It legitimately barely increases blowback, to a level that is essentially undetectable. But if your system is already overgassed you could benefit from going up in buffer weight.

View attachment 7984733

duction what am I looking for
This chart seems to be missing a lot of other options, like a Dominus-SR. Fishy?

This chart seems to be missing a lot of other options, like a Dominus-SR. Fishy?

Definitely not fishy.

https://pewscience.com/

Jay is a single man crew releasing new data between 4 different test hosts about every 2 weeks.

I wouldn't expect anything great from the Dominus. It's probably going to be similar to the other overbored cans on 5.56. He could have already mentioned this on a podcast but I'm not going to put words in his mouth. He has tested the Dominus though, not sure if it was on the mk18 or just 20" 308. His release schedule is based on contractual work and member funded work that is decided mostly by member requests/popularity. So if it's not being heavily requested he'll release it when he gets to it.

The MK18 and SP5 being the most recent hosts. The 20" 308 has the largest data set.

This is the most up to data picture. It's in descending order of lowest backpressure to highest on the mk18.

5.56_MK18_suppression_plot_6.95_wm.png

When you add a suppressor to a gas driven rifle it alters how much gas and how long it stays under pressure in the operating system.

There are a bunch of ways to tune for suppressor use. A lot of people use a heavier buffer. Some use stiffer buffer springs. Some use adjustable gas blocks.

If there is more gas for longer the heavier weight and stiffer buffer spring provides for more resistance and hence slows down the operation a bit.

The gas block tries to bleed off excess gas to achieve the same goal.

There is such a thing as too much gas. Also such a thing as too fast of reciprocation of the bolt carrier group. Adding a suppressor adds gas and sometimes you need to offset it in other ways.