• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass and barrel life?

vigildom7

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Okay so question for you guys who buy bulk brass (ie 500+) for those barrel burner cartridges such as 6mm creed and what not. Do you guys reuse the same brass with the new barrel or do you get a new lot set of brass?
Obviously if you have a lot of brass you are using you wont be firing it that many times till the barrel burns out. So do you use again with the new barrel and just use it till it finally gives (loose primer pockets)
Being lapua and alpha type brass is expensive but also last a long time.
I understand most 2 day matches round count is around 200 it's nice to always have more for zeroing and verifying dope or buying mulligans.
What do you all do with extra brass and burned out barrels?

Use brass until it fails.

Just make sure it will chamber in the new barrel and work your load up again just to make sure.

Reactions: vigildom7
Switching from BR to BRA and I bought new brass too fireform. Going to fireform a few of the old ones to see if they form ok. If so I’ll form old stuff also and run with it tell it dies.

Switching from BR to BRA and I bought new brass too fireform. Going to fireform a few of the old ones to see if they form ok. If so I’ll form old stuff also and run with it tell it dies.

I wouldn't have even bought new brass going from BR to BRA. How exactly do you think you get BRA lol.

for 6 creed I buy 300 pieces of Hornady brass every time I put on a new barrel. I get 4-5 firings on hornady brass before pockets and necks start dying but that is about the life of a 6creed barrel anyway. Lapua and others last longer but for $120 for 300 pieces its hard to invest more money for other brass.

Ohh I know that lol. But my old BR brass is on 7th reload. Just worried it wouldn’t fire form as good as virgin brass

My current Dasher brass is on 15 firings and the third barrel. Will run it until it gives me some sort of problem (primer pockets loosen, case stretch, etc). My 6BRA brass is not quite as good, shot a match in the rain so I have a bunch of pieces with loose primers. Found a good deal on 430 pieces of 1x brass 6BRA from someone else, it fit my chamber well so I'm running that now. Hope to stretch it out over a couple barrels.

Old barrels are just sitting in the gun safe. Most of them have slowed a bit, are over 2300 rounds, and don't see regular match use, but still are accurate. I need to do something with them. Probably will mess around with them as trainer barrels until they fully die.

Reactions: Bugzlife19
Going to run my Br barrel probably for one more match and then pull it. And use it for training for awhile before I try and fire form the old brass. Will see I have options.