• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Bin Labels

nwsnowbum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2008
Spokane, WA
I have accumulated many tens of thousands of pieces of brass in various calibers. I usually store them in clear plastic bins. So I have a lot of bins in my reloading area. Keeping everything straight wasn't much of problem at my old place, but after moving into a new house and focusing on things that the wife deems more important than shooting and reloading (landscaping, building fence, etc) for the past several months I have kind of lost track of the status of the brass in each bin. Some things are pretty obvious to figure out with a quick glance, others not so much. Since I reload both my rifle and handgun ammo on a single stage press, I normally try and do a large amount of brass one step at a time.

I spoke with a client that makes labels, he said if I gave him a list of the processes he would make up some labels for my bins. Right now we are playing around with different coatings and different markers. I ultimately want to be able to wipe off the check marks with a wet towel or something but not be able to smudge/remove the marks by accident. I want the labels to be reused many times.

Anyways, here is where I can use a second (third, fourth, etc) set of eyes. Here is my list. Not every process will be used with every piece of brass but I wanted them on the label regardless. Please let me know if I missed anything. (This list may or not be in the same order you do things.)

Caliber:
Decapped
Cleaned
Primer Pocket Swaged
Primer Pocket Uniformed
Primer Pocket Cleaned
Flash Hole Reamed
Flash Hole Outside Deburred
Flash Hole Inside Deburred
Case Neck Expanded
Case Neck Reamed
Case Neck Turned
Annealed
Full Resized
Shoulder Bumped
Trimmed To Length
Case Neck Inside Chamfered
Case Neck Outside Chamfered
Expanded
Primed
Seated
Crimped
Other:

I'll probably have 1000 printed, and don't need nearly that many. After giving some away to friends, I'll probably still have some available I may post them here if people are interested.

Thank you for the help/criticism.

Re: Brass Bin Labels

Like the idea but I've been too cheap to get "permanent" labels. Blue painters tape, black sharpie and clear plastic bins....inexpensive and thus far effective.
Tape and sharpie, I'm in for < $3 but not nearly as "pretty" as the system you are making.

I use the 2" wide version so I've plenty of room to write down status of contents.

Great idea.

I would add:

Headstamp/Manufacturer
Small Base Sized
Firings (1,2,3,etc)

Let me know if you have any left over.

Looks like you got all the steps covered. I can see these helping out if you fool with alot of different brass at different staging of the loading process.

I for one try to do a 100ct ammo box at a time of what ever caliber. I do this so they can be loaded and ready to run if need be. But I guess this could change after my stock billed up per caliber I shoot.

Yes number of firing is something I do label inside my ammo boxes. You may also look at adding small primer, lager primer, maybe the magnum primers. I know some cases are being sold both ways so that may help.

nwsnowbum,

I just use Post-its in the storage bins.

HTH,
DocB

I use these:

labels.gif

from here: http://reloadbench.com/pdf.html