• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass cartridge cases are yours Good ?

Ex E6

Problem Solver = Equation
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2023
Northwest
Yes that's the Big question . Are Your brass cases really as good as You think they are ?. Have You measured them and exactly HOW are YOU measuring yours ?.

I have a precision ground Granite Base or surface plates . Mine happens to be roughly 18"X18"X8" polished Black/Blue Granite . Have #4 AAA Certified Lab Grade plates . I came by mine in early 80's ,as there was a Scientific Quarry company in SoCal which Cut slabbed Raw granite. They had mile long Diamond wire saw and precisely Cut and Ground ,polished enormous slabs of granite . Also have a 2" X 88" ground straight edge , a piece given too Me by them for certifying or verifying levels .
They made various " Instrument Tables " of varying lengths and thickness . I just happened by one day when they were finishing a 12 Ft. x 38" X 8" table and scored the End cuts for Peanuts for what costs are now .

So I decided to Stand up some cases and using My Starrett Machinist precision ground level and square ,after using the Master level on the Base to insure level . SURPRISE !.

I'm resorting Many cases ,as I was surprised after taking some measurements . Oh case mouth neck thicknesses are Spot on using Ball Mic but Cases weren't all Plumb !!!.

FYi : That included Used ,New and even the Beloved L brand of Brass . So Just saying , ARE YOU SURE ? . I thought I was and then learned the truth .

As you were ,Carry on .

How much does that matter on target?

How much do out of round necks matter or a crooked seated bullet matter ? . Every chamber is slightly different as in the weapon ,so actual target measurement would vary . It CAN'T help that's for sure . If the objective is putting the case into the chamber and having the neck and bullet line near perfectly with the bore axis . Then finding out the case it's self is exuding unnecessary pressure on one side or the other of the cartridges Neck is Troubling . Especially as it seems Neck tension and straightness plays a Major role in " CONSISTENCY " !.

Just another problem in the equation .

Reactions: simonp
Some BR shooters beat all of us too it already :)

I have MORE cases to SORT OUT !.

1707423524779.png

How much do out of round necks matter or a crooked seated bullet matter ? . Every chamber is slightly different as in the weapon ,so actual target measurement would vary . It CAN'T help that's for sure . If the objective is putting the case into the chamber and having the neck and bullet line near perfectly with the bore axis . Then finding out the case it's self is exuding unnecessary pressure on one side or the other of the cartridges Neck is Troubling . Especially as it seems Neck tension and straightness plays a Major role in " CONSISTENCY " !.

Just another problem in the equation .

Been tested 100x. Runout has almost no effect on paper.

The only people who mention it are in the comment section of videos and forums like this. Most guys winning F Class and BR matches either don't own a concentricity gauge or it sits on a shelf collecting dust.

There's also a reason you've never seen the method you posted as a way to sort brass. And it's not because you're the first person to think of it.

Are you guys all making sure that your target is perfectly squared down Range? Like I mean Plumb to the ground and also not tilted backwards. Plumb to the ground 360° around it and make sure the papers not crinkled because if there are wavy inconsistencies in the paper, it can throw off your groups for a variety of reasons that we can discuss in another thread.

It Hass to be perfectly flat

Are you guys all making sure that your target is perfectly squared down Range? Like I mean Plumb to the ground and also not tilted backwards. Plumb to the ground 360° around it and make sure the papers not crinkled because if there are wavy inconsistencies in the paper, it can throw off your groups for a variety of reasons that we can discuss in another thread.

He uses pie plates for targets.......and uses a square to sort brass.

He's evolved far past any of us.

He uses pie plates for targets.......and uses a square to sort brass.

He's evolved far past any of us.
I know I'm not worthy. That's for sure. I will say this... If you don't take Relativity (E=MC²) into account, your Time Of Flight calculations for the bullet will be off relative to the shooter.

Is the OP the one of sniperkings alternate personalities he was laughing at us with, or the one he started arguing with in the other thread? Enquiring minds want to know.🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Grim's Reapers
ok BUT the BIGGER question is

IF you aren't whispering sweet nothings to your brass when you tuck them in at night ARE YOU EVEN TRYING !!!.

• Haha
Reactions: Grim's Reapers
Just wondering, is everybody getting what the OP is saying? (if you put a case on a surface plate head down, and put a square beside it, some cases lean to one side).

Also just wondering, could that affect accuracy? Part of me says maybe, depending on how much lean. Also, some cases are tapered...

And if they lean, how would one correct that?

For the record, I would not be inclined to bother to check that. No doubt you could keep coming up with ways to check brass until you find one that will fail it...

Just wondering, is everybody getting what the OP is saying? (if you put a case on a surface plate head down, and put a square beside it, some cases lean to one side).

Also just wondering, could that affect accuracy? Part of me says maybe, depending on how much lean. Also, some cases are tapered...

For the record, I would not be inclined to bother to check that. No doubt you could keep coming up with ways to check brass until you find one that will fail it...
Yup, I understood completely what he meant and it still doesn’t matter.

Everyone understands. OP has a habit of making up work for himself without any data to suggest it matters.

I can’t see concentricity having to much effect on accuracy as the bullet is going to follow the bore of the barrel, assuming all chamber work is true to the bore.

You have to perform gravimetric analysis to make sure the Earth's gravitational field is consistent at the target site, THEN use an electronic level calibrated by top members of the state *and* federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!

You have to perform gravimetric analysis to make sure the Earth's gravitational field is consistent at the target site, THEN use an electronic level calibrated by top members of the state *and* federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!

Reactions: Rocketmandb