• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Catcher....?

Re: Brass Catcher....?

I picked one of these up when I'm just blasting ammo. It works about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time it manages to drop between the wire structure next to ejection port.

If you are just looking to keep the brass from flying and hitting your buddy next to you, grab a bandana and starting from the left side of the receiver, drap it over the top (or through the carry handle) and then use a zip tie around the magazine well to hold it in place. It keeps the brass from flying out and drops it pretty much next to your feet.

I'll pots up a photo of my AR with the setup I made tonight.

I'll be using an AR to aerial hunt from a helo, shooting out the right side of a Hughs 500, and just want to keep the brass from finding the tailrotor.

Thanks guys! Any other ideas?

Pat, I have tried a few but now have gone to the simple. On the range I just set a box up to catch or stop them. In the field I have a piece of cloth that I attach to my scope and let it drape over the ejection port. It stops the brass and I recover most of it even at night on coyotes. Has not caused a problem yet. It does not rattle which I find a must. I use a piece of an old faded canvas shirt.

Keep it below 60 knots and you wont have a trouble. If your hunting, probably wont be flying that fast. I've never had brass fly up when shootin from a helicopter. Most of the wind is going DOWN, that and gravity usually keeps it heading south from you.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look no further
http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.5_brass_catcher.php
This one is easy on/off and holds cases securely, I have had mine for 5-6 years and use it everytime I shoot my AR. </div></div>

Thanks 427!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep it below 60 knots and you wont have a trouble. If your hunting, probably wont be flying that fast. I've never had brass fly up when shootin from a helicopter. Most of the wind is going DOWN, that and gravity usually keeps it heading south from you.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Good to know! I've never had problems with empty 12ga hulls in the past, just thought smaller, more dense .223 brass might be a bit different. We're going to try the rifle for hunting taller timber that seems to be just on the fringe range for 4BUCK.

Mine is the model that attaches to the flattop upper, optic mounts may be in the way, the block that the bag hooks into needs the last inch of the upper to attach to on the forward side.

Well if your ever in doubt you can always test it driving down the road. Toss a couple spent shells out the window doing 70-80 and see what happens.

Even at 140-150 knots in Iraq we never had any brass drift up. Now forward airspeed plays hell on bullet flight but thats not your worry here.

Enjoy your hunting trip.. I'm jealous!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be using an AR to aerial hunt from a helo, shooting out the right side of a Hughs 500, and just want to keep the brass from finding the tailrotor.

Thanks guys! Any other ideas? </div></div>

Pat

You get all the fun

I never had an issue firing an EBR out of a helicopter but we generally did that at relatively slow airspeeds.

luckily for you the tail rotor on a hughes 500 is located on the left side of the airframe. I would honestly be more worried about striking the main rotor then the tail rotor especially if you are doing any dynamic flight and if your rifle tends to kick brass up at all. I would talk with the pilot and see what he wants as I would guess he has done this before. The brass deflector below is supposed to kick brass down and to the 2 O'Clock which wouldnt be to bad. I think just picking up any of the brass catchers mentioned would be a great better safe then sorry as your not on the two way firing range so if it causes a malfunction its not the end of the world.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-parts-to...px#.UK0YhYb-aEU

I will actually be operating out of two different aircraft. The 500H as mentioned, and an OH58. From the 58, I'll be firing out the left side. I lean out pretty far, so I'm betting the brass(from the AR)will not fly back into the cockpit. When hunting more open terrain, I use a left port eject Benelli M1 Super 90 for the 58, and a right side eject Benelli M1 from the 500H.

The pilot actually asked me to develop a weapon system for extended ranges while hunting timber in the mountains. The rifle I chose is an LMT Defender 16", the optic is the new Bushnell SMRS 1-6X24. My load is the Nosler 55gr BT.

If you run a little of that hot brass down the pilot's collar you will soon know a lot more about his fibre. As previously posted there is little chance of hitting the tail rotor on the Hughes, BTTT. How are you at left handed shooting? Actually works very well out of the right seat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will actually be operating out of two different aircraft. The 500H as mentioned, and an OH58. From the 58, I'll be firing out the left side. I lean out pretty far, so I'm betting the brass(from the AR)will not fly back into the cockpit. When hunting more open terrain, I use a left port eject Benelli M1 Super 90 for the 58, and a right side eject Benelli M1 from the 500H.

The pilot actually asked me to develop a weapon system for extended ranges while hunting timber in the mountains. The rifle I chose is an LMT Defender 16", the optic is the new Bushnell SMRS 1-6X24. My load is the Nosler 55gr BT.</div></div> how do I get into your line of work?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look no further
http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.5_brass_catcher.php
This one is easy on/off and holds cases securely, I have had mine for 5-6 years and use it everytime I shoot my AR. </div></div>

I use this one also, works well and sure beats looking for brass the grass!