• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass check on new rifle

JRBullock1987

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2023
Washington
This is a brass case from a federal 55gr 5.56 shot out of a new 18in .223 wylde build. I'm getting into reloading so I know that flattened primers can be a sign of higher pressures but since this is a standard federal 55gr rd what does it mean when the primers are getting slightly flattened? And is this what a flattened primer looks like? I did the go no go which passed, and the headspace is 1.460 so I know it's not a weird headspace. Am I seeing something that isn't there lol. Which is probably the case. I've never really checked brass before starting reloading so I dont really have anything to compare to. I know I sound dumb but im learning and since this is my first build I want to make sure I'm doing things right.
Thanks for any help
20230910_164341_resized.jpg

I did the go no go which passed, and the headspace is 1.460 so I know it's not a weird headspace

The primer non-issue aside, if that is actually your chamber headspace, you have a problem. How did you come up with that number?

There isn't a primer fired in a gun that doesn't get some degree, if however slight, of flattening. A true read of a primer is to decap it and inspect for side soot, and mushrooming at the top of primer where it meets the top primer pocket. I would also include monitoring of the primer pocket size after firings. Your primer looks fine. I was half expecting you to be asking about an ejector smear.

Is that not a normal number for brass from datum to base? My bcm rifle that they built is 1.461

Typically, when someone refers to "go, no-go" they're referring to chamber headspace. You're flipping back and forth from "for brass from datum to base" and then you're mentioning a "BCM rifle" at "1.461". I'm still not sure what you're talking about as the minimum chamber headspace for 5.56/223 Remington is 1.4636". It also sounds like your using numbers from some unmentioned brand of comparator as is they're actual measurements.

Typically, when someone refers to "go, no-go" they're referring to chamber headspace. You're flipping back and forth from "for brass from datum to base" and then you're mentioning a "BCM rifle" at "1.461". I'm still not sure what you're talking about as the minimum chamber headspace for 5.56/223 Remington is 1.4636". It also sounds like your using numbers from some unmentioned brand of comparator as is they're actual measurements.

Yeah sorry I was just trying to convey that it passed the go/no go guage and when I was referring to the 1.460 was referring to the shot brass that I used the forster datum datum dial Ammunition measurement system to see what that shot brass measurement was which is the datum to the base measurement.amd I was trying to explain that my brass measurement built from bcm was 1.461 from datum to base and the brass from this rifle i built was 1.460. Which in my head I was thinking that the brass looked good and was close to what the bcm was number was so everything seemed good and wasn't sure about what to watch for on pressure spikes like flattened primers. And was making a problem from nothing. Never built a rifle before so I was just making sure everything looked good on the brass. If any of that makes more sense lol. If not idk what else to say but im learning and problem making mountains out of nothing.

Reactions: FredHammer

What i was trying to say what that when reloading and you're gunna fl size the brass you use a comparator to check what your brass is from the datum to base (which mine was 1.460) and then bump the shoulder back 2 to 3 thousandths. And I was saying that when I used a comparator on my bcm that brass was 1.461 before resizing that brass

Yeah the case from the datum line to the base. I used a comparator guage and calipers. Sorry I should have been more specific
That's what everyone does and you get a relative measurement by which you referenced to the BCM length and was only .001 difference. You are good to go. BCM knows how to build shit really good and reliable.

What i was trying to say what that when reloading and you're gunna fl size the brass you use a comparator to check what your brass is from the datum to base (which mine was 1.460) and then bump the shoulder back 2 to 3 thousandths. And I was saying that when I used a comparator on my bcm that brass was 1.461 before resizing that brass
Roger, I'd say minimum .003 bump back. I do .005 for ultimate reliability. You're on track with your methods.

Reactions: JRBullock1987