• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Deflector damaging brass?

EasternNChunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2012
Eastern NC
I am waiting for my GAP-10 308. I don't have an AR10 yet and haven't seen this from my Barnes Precision AR15 (BADASS Rifle!! Check them out!). However, a buddy says that the brass deflector dents his .308 brass. I am wondering if this is common or not? Good brass isn't cheap.

I am waiting for my GAP-10 308. I don't have an AR10 yet and haven't seen this from my Barnes Precision AR15 (BADASS Rifle!! Check them out!). However, a buddy says that the brass deflector dents his .308 brass. I am wondering if this is common or not? Good brass isn't cheap.

Pretty common. The dents should go away after resizing most of the time. My 260 rem gas gun beats on lapua brass but so far hasn't caused me to toss any. If you are worried about it get some surplus lake city brass, it is great accuracy and durability wise, and is 1/4 of the cost of lapua.

Try putting a piece of velcro on the deflector and that may help keep it from denting the brass. Works for me.

L

IMG_8115_zps33c12987.jpg

Well if the cost of brass is a issue then a GAP AR10 is out of your league, the Velcro trick helps, but expect a small ding from the neck hitting the barrel extension locking lug during extraction.

I have Lapua brass that is approaching 10 firings in my SR-25. It isn't pretty, but the little dings haven't made any perceptible difference in performance.