• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Deflector....Effective or No

KM1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Wondering if anyone uses a Brass Deflector to slow down and redirect brass away from you. Will likely be shooting left handed and wondering if any of the following work, are effective, and/or cause any issues.......AND if anyone has a better recommendation other than these.

The only problem with the above is that I own a PWS Firearm and I am not sure that it's built in deflector is mill spec...if not, I don't think these two will work.

Problem with this one is it is out of stock and I can't find it anywhere. Plus, it seems more cumbersome taking ups rails space I might need for a magnifier someday.

Your AR didn't come with one?

The tit on the side works well when I shoot weakside, and never heard complaints from wrong handed soldiers.

Reactions: KM1
They make brass deflectors to install on top of your brass deflector?.....crazy

I have one upper where I have a piece of neoprene glued to the brass deflector to reduce noise...because it is a suppressed 300BO.

Reactions: Kamerad and KM1
Your AR didn't come with one?

The tit on the side works well when I shoot weakside, and never heard complaints from wrong handed soldiers.

Yes....the standard one. Looking to redirect brass more forward and down as brass, at times, can skip past the stock deflector.

Maybe I should go out and shoot the thing left handed first before thinking about using one of these. I know when manually ejecting dummy rounds to check function these rounds definitely come back toward me. However, real brass will have much more velocity and hit the deflector harder maybe making a difference and directing brass more out to the side.....not sure.

Maybe I should go out and shoot the thing left handed first before thinking about using one of these. I know when manually ejecting dummy rounds to check function these rounds definitely come back toward me. However, real brass will have much more velocity and hit the deflector harder maybe making a difference and directing brass more out to the side.....not sure.

Yep, go shoot it first before you start hanging doo-dads near the ejection port. It won't hit you, I promise. I like to stick a fuzzy sided piece of velcro on all of kine to save the brass from dings for reloading.

Last edited:
Tried a bolt-on brass deflector on one of my gas guns many years back, while they all did end up in a neat pile right next to my gun, the case mouths were dented on every piece of brass. Stuck a piece of 3m rubber grip tape on it, dents went away..but a brass catcher just seemed to work better.

Tuning your gas/buffer system can be a less invasive way of adjusting where your cases eject to. I’m a LH shooter and have yet to have brass hit me in the face with 5 different AR’s.

Have you considered a brass catcher? I have started using one on my AR's for the simple fact that I reload and I hate having 19 cases when I should've had 20 out of a box. 5.56 not so much unless its match grade. 6.5CM and .20 practical I want them all back.

The first item the op listed serves a different purpose, it bounces the brass forward of the shooter which is useful in some circumstances and a hindrance in others.

I have used an A3 Deflector (out of stock now at Brownells) that clips on the rail for years shooting LH High Power. When we shot A2 uppers, I had a similar one that clipped in and out with a spring mount. I haven't had issues with any of my ARs getting hit in the face by brass without it but it does put your brass in a nice small pile, making it easier to collect your brass and not someone else's between strings. Brass catchers aren't an allowed option for High Power competition plus they would get in the way of rapid fire stage reloads as a lefty. I assume you aren't shooting High Power but I can verify that the TC-Accessories brass deflectors do work well.

Reactions: KM1 and Ravenworks
I'm pretty sure a Case deflector on a USGI Spec upper is mostly there just for Left handed shooters.... some one correct me if I am wrong.

FWIW... I have the TC ( whatever ) Shell deflector ( Brownells ) on most all of my bench guns... those allow the brass to fall on the bench directly by me.

And in a pinch, a adjustable baseball cap, hung off the top scope turret will capture ejecting brass quite well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KM1 and loveha
My three ARs with deflectors do the job they are designed to, they are directly at 3 o'clock or in the case of my Sig 716 at 1 o'clock. My 300BLK I built for subs, doesn't have one, finding that brass, it's like 5 o'clock 4 feet behind me. If I was worried about it, I would get a brass catcher. Good ones aren't cheap.

Could just put a dab of black permatex on shell deflector, works great. Prevents dings

I have used an A3 Deflector (out of stock now at Brownells) that clips on the rail for years shooting LH High Power. When we shot A2 uppers, I had a similar one that clipped in and out with a spring mount. I haven't had issues with any of my ARs getting hit in the face by brass without it but it does put your brass in a nice small pile, making it easier to collect your brass and not someone else's between strings. Brass catchers aren't an allowed option for High Power competition plus they would get in the way of rapid fire stage reloads as a lefty. I assume you aren't shooting High Power but I can verify that the TC-Accessories brass deflectors do work well.

Which one is the TC-Accessories brass deflector???

Which one is the TC-Accessories brass deflector???

I also line the inside with moleskin to reduce neck dents. It usually lasts a whole season of matches.

Last edited:
I'm lefty and been shooting AR pattern rifles for 17 years in military, law enforcement, and overseas security shenanigans...

Never have I ever had a piece of brass from my rifle ding me.

You're trying to fix something that's not a problem for anyone.

Yes, the brass deflector on the M16/M4/AR platform was placed there specifically for left handed shooters.
Screenshot_20201109-124932_Chrome.jpg

My Mossberg 152K also came with a deflector like SteveLV's. It just snapped onto the dovetail mount groves. Might check Havlins or Gunparts to see if they have any.

I shot lefty for 17 years in the Marines and never got hit by my own brass. Prior to the introduction of the M16A2 I was given a plastic snap on brass deflector to use with my M16A1. A2 has built in deflector.