• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass differences

afd77

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Ohio
I loaded up several rounds of RE-15 behind Lapua 155 Scenars, in Lapua brass, in .02 grain increments starting at 44 grains and working up to 46. I loaded the exact same loads using Remington Brass. I had pressure signs with the Lapua brass at 45.2 grains, with a velocity just under 2600 fps. Flattened primers, and even difficult extraction. With the Remington brass, I was able to go all the way up to 46 with velocities just under 2800. No pressure signs whatsoever. The rifle is a Remington SPS Tactical, 20" barrel. Both types of brass were new, unfired, and both were prepped exactly the same. My question is why would I be getting such a large difference between two types of brass?

Re: Brass differences

Interior capacity and to a lesser extent, the brass hardness.

Fill the cases with water, weigh the water and compare.

4007 and Varget will give you equal velocity with perhaps a bit less pressure.

If you try Winchester, it is generally even harder and has more capacity.

Thanks for the info Mr. Humble. For what it is worth, the same round loaded in either brass shoot just fine out of my Savage. I guess it just goes to show how different two rifles of the same caliber can be, and how components are certaintly not interchangeable. Anyway, thanks for the help.

I'm less a fan of measuring volume with water than I am of using the same propellent that the cartridges will be loaded with. Volume of propellent has a meaning to me, volume of water doesn't. Basically, I start out with a bit more than the case will hold, load it with a drop tube for consistency, and weigh what stays in the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the "high pressure" rifle? </div></div>

Rem. 700 SPS Tactical in AICS. I load to mag length. 2.85

Strange! Ive gone all the way up to 46.9gr RE15 in Lapua brass under 155 Scenars with no pressure signs.

My load is also in the low 46s with Lapua brass, 155 scenar and RE15 and no pressure signs. I believe my OAL to touch the lands is only 2.825 (I know it is less then 2.850). That could be why your pressure is so high. I jump them about 10 thousandths.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AugeredIn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My load is also in the low 46s with Lapua brass, 155 scenar and RE15 and no pressure signs. I believe my OAL to touch the lands is only 2.825 (I know it is less then 2.850). That could be why your pressure is so high. I jump them about 10 thousandths. </div></div>

My chamber's OAL to the lands is pretty long. I can't remember without remeasuring, but I believe it was just shy of 2.95. I know I don't come anywhere close to touching the lands loading to mag length.