• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass discoloration after tumbling.

The Durk

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
I need some help from the Hide!

I don’t trust anything the local gun shops say about reloading. Most of them only stock Hornady and RCBS reloading kits. I get very generic answers from them.

I just started getting into reloading. I got a new Hornady stainless steel tumbler for Christmas. First set of brass came out dark, as in old surplus dark. Second set came out ultra clean and shiny. Both of these loads were ran for 3 hours. I only added soap, water, and some white vinegar. Third try I put a few of the very first load in, and recleaned them. The only difference is I didn’t put as much brass in the tumbler. They came out dark gold.

I first thought it was because the stainless steel was dirty, and needed cleaned up. Second try it came out perfect. Third try it came out dark again.

Am I tumbling for too long? Too much vinegar?

On the plus side, EVERY piece of brass is clean.
A7C0F20B-584C-4122-A6D6-4F92F90946C6.jpeg
BF29A0ED-A583-4F81-AD35-C13A2389B203.jpeg

I just use like 10 drops of dawn and they come out fine.
Something in your process has changed thereby changing the result.

I just put in a load of 5.56 with just two squirts of dawn and see how it turns out. Only running it for an hour.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. I would load it and shoot

Getting brass to come out nice and shiny requires the right balance of water to soap to acid. You can’t eyeball it. Get some precise measuring tools. I use a .7cc Lee dipper for the Lemishine and a table spoon for the soap. I use 1 tablespoon of Palmolive to .7cc of Lemishine in my Thumler drum. I can tumble 72hrs straight without any ill effect.

why are there primers still in those pockets ?

dawn ultra - 1 hard quick squeeze
lemishine - get a pinch and put half of it back, then add more. If your brass comes out orange....your using too much.

your water ph will play a part in how much of each you use.

Primers are still in because I’m still waiting for my co ax to come off backorder. I even have the dies for them.

1/2 teaspoon of LemiShine
1 squirt of dawn
40 minutes

Freaking PERFECT! Thanks for all the help!
83D7EEC8-8F4D-4331-9AFB-D716A3B32080.jpeg

Need the lemishine 1/4 to 1/2 TEAspoon to get it bright. I like to use the cheap carwash with wax from Walmart instead of dawn. It leaves a slight wax coating that seems to stay bright instead of dulling out from oxidation. Ymmv.

I only wash for 30 mins. That way it does not clean all the carbon off the necks. Then they are put in the dehydrator for about 30 mins to dry. Just make sure you get the cases rinsed well so you do not get water spots.

AND always check for pins for the third time before reloading.

Do you have the magnet for getting the bulk of your pins out ? I think mine is frankford arsenal.

One cap full of mineral spirits and nushine car polish. Half sheet of drier fabric. Works

1 squirt dawn and a dash of lemi shine here. Roll them on a bath towel to get the bulk of the pins and water loose then throw them in the dehydrator. I tumble after full length sizing and trimming. Once they are clean I’ll chamfer and debur. The ss pins leave a rough edge on case mouths that shaves bullets while seating so I make sure to clean them up afterwards on the case prep center