• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

brass discoloration question

Russ257

???
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Lancaster, PA
So I took my fist step towards reloading today and I tumbled all of the once fired factory brass I had. My father and I have been saving brass for years so some of it may be older. I the majority of the federal rounds had some discoloration around the neck. Almost looks like rust. The Remington ones didn't have nearly this amount.

Here is a picture
4144793783_332d7a2517_o.jpg

The two rounds on the left have the discoloration I am speaking of and the two on the right don't

Here is a link to the full resolution Picture so you can see better
Brass Full Size Picture

Is this just a cosmetic blemish or is it a structural defect. I tumbled them for an hour in walnut media. Should I tumble them longer or should It discard them? Any help is much appreciated.

Re: brass discoloration question

or you can use a scotch brite pad.I like the pad because it doesn't break up as much.but it will clean up the spots you are talking about.JMHO John

Or just forget about it and shoot 'em!

sweet I hit a few with a scotch brite and they cleaned up just fine. Thanks

It's brass corrosion. It'll clean up with steel wool.

Dillon Rapid Polish 290 in combination tumbling longer is what I've done

A: The discoloration around the neck is nothing to get worried about, just tumble them for another couple of hours.

B: Notice the ones on the left have a lot bigger expansion in the web area than the ones on the right. Thus the ones on the left were at much higher pressures and may be a stronger brass (or both).

C: The sholder edge is also more pronounced on the left--another indication of higher pressure (not out of range pressure just relatively higher than the ones on the right).