• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass does not fit shell holders??

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
So I was prepping some LC brass for my ar. I noticed some of the caseings where extremly tight fitting in my Lee Primeing tool. Some would just not fit. I tripled checked to make sure that I had the correct shell holder. "It's the right one". So I tried the shell holder on my press, same thing. I tried 2 other shell holdes same thing.
I F/L sized them with an RCBS die, used an RCBS swager tool to get rid of the crimp. Trimmed an chamfered. Now I can't prime. I can force them in the shell holder, but don't want to toss powder all over the place when it'stime to seat.
Has anyone ever had this happen. So far I have 20 piece that are like this.
Any help would be awesome, either that or I am going crazy.
sorry for the long winded story.

Memo

Re: Brass does not fit shell holders??

Memo,

Do you have any pressure signs?? how many firings are on this brass??

I typically use a shell holder to see if my primer pockets are enlarging due to either overpressure or I've maxed out the life of my brass and the pockets are too large to hold a primer.

When the case doesn't fit in my shellholder than I've got one or both of the above issues.

Something to try, is take one of those cases and see if you can just seat a spent primer into it by pressing it on the table. If it goes in with little or no resistance, than your primer pockets have enlarged and you might have another issue to look at regarding pressure or possibly headspace.

Someone else with more background with loading for an AR platform will probably have some more insight.

Its all once fired LC brass. It was fired out of AR variants.
There is some bulging (slight) at the base of the caseings. I know it's not hot load since it was fired on service rifles.
there apears to be nothing wrong with the rims? Although watching the area right above the rim, it does not clear any of my shell holders, seems to be to wide.
Thanks for the help, I also just found a new way to check brass, Slide it through the shell holders prior to any tumbleing or de primeing. Hopefully this is not an issue to those that pay for the Mil surp brass, if it is, contact me an I'll get some from the ranges and send it your way.

Memo

I might be retarded here, but how did you size them if you couldn't get them in a shell holder?

And you might try a small base sizing die.

I have the same issue with LC brass, and just had it with some Hornady Match brass. The Hornady that was tough to get into the shell holder would not even trim it was so out of square. The LC usually will work once I get it squeezed into the shell holder. I have started to just throw any that are hard to get in the shell holders in the scrap bucket.

I've had some poorly made shellholders for the Lee handprime. Maybe yours is just a little on the tight side.

From my experience, Frogman summed it up pretty well.

It could be a case of a min spec shell holder and max spec brass, maybe you can use a caliper to find out where the difference is coming from. Maybe one of the AR variants had a pretty loose chamber and the cases fired in that gun are causing you the issues. Might be just better sort them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be retarded here, but how did you size them if you couldn't get them in a shell holder?

And you might try a small base sizing die. </div></div>

Some of them where a bit tight when I did resize them. I was useing a full lenght die from rcbs.
I will try a small base die.
If not then I'll save them all an scrap them an help pay for gas.

memo

I save mine to help pay for more brass. Usually when I buy a bunch I get enough extras to cover the bad ones.

Memo:

It was probaly fired in a SAW. I had some brass just like you said and it was fired in a SAW. Toss them in your scrap bucket and don't mess with them.

Terry

Memo, I have that same problem from time to time with RCBS shell holders. I have one that is really tight, got a second one that was just a hair wider to accept the rims that seemed too fat! I still dont know why this happens to this day but all brass is fired in 700p and resized .001 shoulder set back. I dont see how headspace would be an issue since I dont have pressure signs! Try a different shell holder!

I've occasionally had this issue but nothing near what you are experiencing.I just took it as a sign and tossed that piece of brass. The only milspec brass I have ever had any luck with is the fully processed from Scarch. I have just come to the conclusion that all my ARs will be fed factory ammo (the only caliber I do that on).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was probaly fired in a SAW. I had some brass just like you said and it was fired in a SAW. Toss them in your scrap bucket and don't mess with them.</div></div>

That is also my recommendation.

The funny part is that I picked the brass up the same day it was fired on a rifle range, so I know there where no SAW's,
I could write it off as
1. there is a rifle with a sloppy chamber
2. get another brand of shell holders just in case.

I appreciate every ones responce with the issue.
I'll just keep the them an use them as set up dummies for trimmers an other tools. No sense in ruining good brass
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memo43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I appreciate every ones responce with the issue.
I'll just keep the them an use them as set up dummies for trimmers an other tools. No sense in ruining good brass
smile.gif

</div></div>

Hmmm, if it was "good brass" it would fit your shell holder.

If you want to save the brass, melt it down and make a nugget for your gold chain.
smile.gif

If it were me, I would go all analytical and grab a dial caliper, start measuring and comparing to some unfired brass. factory loads or something. That way you know exactly where the problem is, then go from there.

What I mean by good brass is why under-cut or try a new tool an ruin a piece that is actually worth loading, you ever set up your case trimmer to find out that its way to short.
So instead of tossing them I might hold on to them to mess around with. either that or make a nugget for our gold chains
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memo43</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you ever set up your case trimmer to find out that its way to short. </div></div>

No, I've never done that. Calipers can measure that kind of thing pretty easily.

I had this issue with my Lee primmer also.
After some research it is a combo of the lee being a little small and some of the range brass being well range brass.