• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass for 6.5C?

Cavitation

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2018
I am not the most experienced reloader. Never really tried to be a perfectionist with accuracy. Good and safe is good enough.
Now I want to load a better round in my 6.5 Ruger Magpul hunter.
My last 6.5 was a Franken AR10. It did ok with minimal effort. I had issues with short primer pocket life using hornady brass. 3 or 4 firings and they were toast. I did not run a high pressure load. Below max with 147 ELDM and 123 AMAX H4350 and a Fed 210M primer. I never saw any pressure signs in the primers or head. I am now going to a bolt gun. So is this a common issue with Hornady brass? Should I look at using a different case?

You may not have been over book max, or noticed any other pressure signs, but you were certainly over pressure for that brass. Having said that, premium brass is much stronger. Peterson is a good option and well priced. Lapua is the best, and a little more expensive.

I am not able to reload quite yet , though I wish i was I have noticed that certain brass being hunted by shooters in my area over others prime Peterson brass in particular seems pretty high on people's list of see it grab it fast lapua's brass is also high on there lists my hornady factory ammo is way down it seems most will take my once fired brass if they want something to turn in for a few cents . I was able to get one of them to reload a few for me to try the 140 berger bullets and the 142gr smk both shot really nicely at least for me they did .Good luck to you on your reloading and finding what works for you and your gun .