• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brass gash, should I shoot it?

jimdvt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
Vermont, USA
So I was tumbling some .338 Lapua brass and while adding them I noticed there was no movement in one area. Apparently the stars aligned and between the outer wall and the central cone/stem two pieces wedged in there so that the mouth of one dug into the other. The gash is a little over .150" long and maybe .005" at the deepest point, a little under 3/4" from the case head. It's Lapua brand brass and I know the cartridge was designed to have thick walls. Anyone know what the wall thickness is at the bottom half of the case? Should I shoot it or not?
IMG_0410small.jpg

Re: Brass gash, should I shoot it?

I am a lot braver when I am wearing eye protection.

I do not wear eye protection when hunting ruminants, but I do when hunting rodents and targets.

That's the way I'm leaning. I found this picture of a sectioned piece. The neck is typically around .015" so based on that picture the wall should be around .040"±. It will be interesting to see if the brass flows enough for it to disappear after one firing. I've had marks on necks and shoulders flow out, but nothing this far back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim-VT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the way I'm leaning. I found this picture of a sectioned piece. The neck is typically around .015" so based on that picture the wall should be around .040"±. It will be interesting to see if the brass flows enough for it to disappear after one firing. I've had marks on necks and shoulders flow out, but nothing this far back. </div></div>

That gash is nothing to be concerned about, go ahead and reload it up again.

Chris