• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Hardness

jpretle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2005
Big Sky Country
I am wondering whose brass has the hardest these days. Interested in 308 and 22-250. I know it has varied over the years. I have some early Federal in 7Mag and 22-250 that is not only harder but case weight is lighter, as opposed to recent manufacture. Any one have the inside dope, on this??

Re: 22-250 Brass

What do you mean with "hardest"? Wall thickness? Brass alloy?

I mean the hardest-----as in, web hardness. I've found recent vintage Federal is 'soft'. Earlier brass(20 years) is quite hard.

Yeah, I've always been "schooled" on here for using Fed because of softness but I get onced fired free and have had no problems up to four loadings in my 308's. The few times I've checked weight its been pretty consistant. I've used FGMM, Win, IMI, Lake City, Remmy and Frontier. The LC is by far the hardest to run through my resizing die so I assume it is probably the hardest. I've never tested to verify though.

okie

I like to get 7-8 firings out of my brass, especially the stuff I use for competition. If I get less than that, I feel slighted, so I am always on the look out for 'hard brass'. I don't mind annealing if I have a decent brass hardness, but it doesn't make sense, to me, to anneal brass w/ soft webs, cause it ain't gonna hold up anyway.

In 308 the Case-lifetime order is:
Lapua
Norma
Winchester
<everyone else>
Federal

Lapua and Norma are $$$ Win is moderate.

Well, like I said, I get .308 free so I have .00 invested in my brass and .5 moa so I'm satisfied. When I buy .223, I buy Win. May try Lapua one day though
smile.gif

okie