• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass length variation...

justinbaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
new mexico
is it crucial to have them exactly the same?

just measured my 308 and the largest is 2.016, smallest 2.011

my chamber is much longer, so they have plenty of room to grow

should i trim them all back to 2.011?

brass is lapua 3 times fired

Re: Brass length variation...

I used to trim mine to 2.008, but then I measured my headspace and found that all of my .308 guns were on the order of 2.046. I just do a couple of turns with the forster trimmer now--just enough to get a clean chamfer--and don't even bother checking the length. I've never seen a case stretch to anywhere near 2.046.

Measure your chamber with a suitable gauge (like the sinclair ) and don't worry too much about this if you have a deep chamber like most stock rifles.

it depends on what kind of accuracy your looking for. I would trim them all the same if i wanted to shoot a good group.

I second Mallard. Also, you say they are 3 times fired....have you thought about annealing them? I'm thinking you should.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to trim mine to 2.008, but then I measured my headspace and found that all of my .308 guns were on the order of 2.046. I just do a couple of turns with the forster trimmer now--just enough to get a clean chamfer--and don't even bother checking the length. I've never seen a case stretch to anywhere near 2.046.

Measure your chamber with a suitable gauge (like the sinclair ) and don't worry too much about this if you have a deep chamber like most stock rifles. </div></div>

ya i have that same sinclair tool and my chamber is about the same as yours.

so i guess ill trim them all back to 2.011

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flintlock Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second Mallard. Also, you say they are 3 times fired....have you thought about annealing them? I'm thinking you should. </div></div>

yep i annealed them after the third firing

like Mallard said, if you want to shoot consistently, you want to make everything the same within reason. it doesn't take that long to make them all the same length, and keeps it consistent especially if you are using a crimp.