• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass life: How to determine max charge so primer pockets survive a sufficient nr of reloads (at least 10)?

This thread was fun to read through. I feel like I'm hanging out with some potential benchrest candidates, most of which aren't going to be able to reach the minimum OCD level required for a full-on benchrest infection.

WRT scientific method, the diagram you gave is part of the process. The history of scientific method (SM) is fascinating to a nerd like me. Many people credit Francis Bacon as the key developer of SM and you can find all kinds of support for that point of view:

In fact, the foundations of SM (not S&M, you pervert) date back at least as far as the life of Ibn Al Hytham (965-1040AD). Some people consider him to be the first scientist:

A dude named Jim Al-Khalili wrote a book titled "The House of Wisdom" that is an excellent read on the history of Arabic science. Chapter 11 is titled "The Physicist" and it centers on the work of Al Hytham. The chapter opens with a quote written by Al Hytham about peer review in science that, way the fuck back there around 1000 AD, reveals the fundamental, philosophical core of the scientific method, which is to find ways to keep preconceived notions and biases from resulting in acceptance of the wrong hypothesis:

"The seeker after truth is not one who studies the writings of the ancients and, following his natural disposition, puts his trust in them, but rather the one that suspects his faith in them, and questions what he gathers from them, the one who submits to argument and demonstration and not the sayings of human beings whose nature is fraught with all kinds of imperfection and deficiency. Thus, the duty of the man who investigates the writings of scientists, if learning the truth is the goal, is to make himself an enemy of all that he reads, and, applying his mind to the core and margins of its content, attack it from every side. He should also suspect himself as he performs his critical examination of it, so that he may avoid falling into either prejudice or leniency."

Bold added by me - I'm not sure they even had bold font back in AD1000 and the above demonstrates that those pontificating motherfuckers didn't teach how to avoid run-on sentences and if I work at it hard enough, can show that some of us don't avoid them very well either, while preaching from a creaky crate in the middle of the Hide town square reloading forum. The point I'm making is that, if one wants the scientific method to work , first we must doubt what we believe to be true. We have to be our own harshest critic, so our peer reviewers can dig deeper after we already dug a pretty deep hole of self-doubt.

Thanks for the comments, i found them interesting. I am familiar with the scientific method from a prior life as a research engineer.

Started the thread because it became clear that the dimensionally consistent but soft Norma brass will not survive long enough if loaded to 0.5 grains below max (usually a decent safety margin for a temp stable powder), which would have forced me to run at about 2780 fps, and maybe get 5-7 reloads. Or run at 2600 and maybe 12-15 reloads.

I was trying to figure out a “predicted case life equation”: How far to back off from max powder charge to get a desired case life nr like 10, if you are forced to use less than premium brass. The arbitrary target of 10 was chosen based on lowering cost per reload sufficiently.

Also wanted to ask more experienced folks about best experimental design: What to measure, how and where, what instruments to use. Is the growth in the primer pocket diameter a linear effect - or is it significantly non-linear? [As it turns out, there is a lot of initial expansion and then it gradually slows down.] And general methodology, how best to fire form, etc. Several people provided helpful advice.

Once the ADG brass arrived, i found that the case head is much harder, and it is now clear that you would need to run at unacceptable pressure if you insist on exactly 10 reloads and no more. Clearly that would not be wise (or safe).

Eventually, i found a good wide flat node a safe distance away from max, and case life ended up better than required. Happy outcome - and no need to “science” the problem into submission anymore. Proved to me why you should stay away from any caliber where top quality brass is not available yet.

Based on the speed difference between my 28” and my 30” barrel (both cut with the same reamer, and fired brass is interchangable), every additional inch of barrel length buys me 39 fps with slower burn rate powders like 4000MR or H4831. The choice of a 30” barrel added over 200 fps in speed compared to a 24” hunting barrel (what Hornady’s load manual is based on). Hornady’s 11’th addition load manual lists 2650 fps as the max attainable speed for a 220 gn projectile, using Winchester brass. So 2850 fps is not really surprising.

Charles Greer broke the NBRSA 1000 yard heavy gun world record with a 300 WSM rifle with a 30” barrel shooting 220 gn Berger bullets into a 2.8” ten shot group (100-10X score), running at 2800 fps, without HBN. The Australian pair Mark and Sam, famous for their Youtube ELR videos, managed to run a 220 Berger bullet at 2900 fps from a 27” barrel using Retumbo. The Lee manual list H4831 as achieving 2645 fps from a 24” barrel for 220 class bullets, add 200 fps to that to account for the extra 6” of barrel length, and you are at 2850, even without HBN. With a slow enough powder, long barrel length can add a lot of speed, while faster powders will give a more modest speed increase.

Yes you get only slightly better wind drift at 2850 than you would get at say 2600 (about 1.5”, so 10% less), but supersonic range improves by 250 yards, and the load is not unsafe in this particular setup. I don’t think you would get 15 reloads with an unsafe powder charge.

HBN can be used either to gain speed or to lower pressure at the same speed, and gain extended case life. Not recommending HBN for any and all applications, but if you want to reach the next higher node, and do it in a safe way, and if you have enough spare case capacity, then yes it is an option. Or if your case life is problematic, then perhaps try HBN and keep speed the same to preserve the primer pockets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gohring65
Fun write up: The guy is 83. Looks 38. Must be an alien.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
How did you reach a desired 10 reloadings?
Why not 7 or 9 or 12?
You must stay exactly 6 feet apart to avoid Covid. Just wondering how these arbitrary numbers are dictated.

Why not 7 or 9 or 12?
You must stay exactly 6 feet apart to avoid Covid. Just wondering how these arbitrary numbers are dictated.

The six foot social distancing spec is from a publication about 80 years old IIRC. Also IIRC, they put Petri dishes with agar at different distances from the cough test subject, then found out how far away the bacteria would sprout. These days, data points to a distance of about 20' but that's unmanageable in the business world so fuck that data shit.

• Haha
Reactions: db2000
The six foot social distancing spec is from a publication about 80 years old IIRC. Also IIRC, they put Petri dishes with agar at different distances from the cough test subject, then found out how far away the bacteria would sprout. These days, data points to a distance of about 20' but that's unmanageable in the business world so fuck that data shit.
Exactly

Reactions: TripleBull
Why not 7 or 9 or 12?

Nothing special about the number “10”: Brass that survives 5 reloads would be unacceptable and too expensive; 15 reloads would be brilliant, and 10 is right in the middle between those two extremes (so “good enough”). I probably should have said “>10 reloads”.

The hope was that the inside micrometer would be accurate enough to measure hole size to within 0.1 thou. Nope, not possible. Best you can hope for is a fairly accurate total expansion amount over 5 reloads, within 30% error bounds. Pin gauges were more accurate, but have low resolution.

The original idea was to develop an equation relating average primer pocket expansion per shot to powder load, for my particular setup. Then you could predict that the higher node (80 fps faster) will give you x reloads, compared to x+y reloads at the lower node. Trouble here is that it is a rather complex non-linear relationship and depends a lot on the fire forming step. Also i don’t have access to a lab based laser scanner to accurately measure the primer pocket. Gave up on the equation because unlike the soft Norma brass, ADG is better than needed, and will get me to 15 reloads, and likely beyond that. More than adequate.

I tried to keep an open mind, and learned a lot from this exercise, and want to thank all the folks who provided helpful comments and critiques.

Case closed, me thinks!

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and db2000
I was browsing around and came across this thread...

Curious if you're familiar with this piece:

Thanks for the post. I believe I read this paper about 10 years ago, but kinda forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up!

Read all of it again just now: It proves that the relationship between PEAK pressure and expansion in case dimensions is very noisy, and of limited use.

The measurement method is also troublesome, when you are trying to determine if the growth in case head diameter from just a single shot was 0.3 thou or 0.5 thou, when most micrometers will show 0.3 thou of variability when measuring the same pin gauge 10 times. Measuring hole size (primer pocket inside diameter) with an inside micrometer was even less accurate, and pin gauges worked slightly better. But even then you won’t have 10 pins that are each exactly 0.1 thou apart…

I found that primer pocket expansion can be tracked (and predicted) over 5 firings on the same piece of brass, using the same load, to derive an average value. First 1-2 firings expanded the brass a lot more than the 10’th and 11’th firing, so strongly non-linear… making analysis rather difficult.

After all the effort and expense i put into this, i came to the conclusion that a) only build rifles in calibers for which premium brass is easily available! And b) Determine the max load where a medium hard bolt lift appears and then back off 50-70 fps. [If the brass is “weak in the head”, back off 100-150 fps, otherwise case life will be very poor.]

Maybe it is time to get a PressureTrace system…….

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
TBH... I have one (PTII).

I'm absolutely terrible about actually *using* it.

As @reubenski noted, it's not a perfect solution. Even if you fire known-good factory ammo in it for a baseline, that just gives you a better guess-timate.

I've heard that in some European countries it's actually easier and/or not ruinously expensive to get certified pressure rounds... but that was second or third hand info at best.

TBH... I have one (PTII).

I'm absolutely terrible about actually *using* it.

As @reubenski noted, it's not a perfect solution. Even if you fire known-good factory ammo in it for a baseline, that just gives you a better guess-timate.

I've heard that in some European countries it's actually easier and/or not ruinously expensive to get certified pressure rounds... but that was second or third hand info at best.

So…. Should i bug you to sell me your Pressure Trace kit? 😁

I realize it is a relative measurement system, and without a good reference, you are still unsure about true pressure levels. But probably a step up from reading tea leaves and marks on case heads…

The bolt on one of my custom rifles puts a bright half moon ejector mark on the case head by simply closing the bolt, without firing… well now how could i rely on the size and brightness of the ejector imprint as a pressure sign…. And i get bolt swipe too. Yep the bolt face needs to get polished smooth. And maybe reduce the excessive spring pressure behind the ejector pin…

So i am actually interested in getting a used Pressure Trace system at a good price. Are you selling?

Last edited:
Just to understand: Are you saying that if you own a Pressure Trace setup (PT), calibrated against a commercially available “calibration round”, and you have previously developed a load that gave 20 reloads on premium brass with a measured peak pressure of 66,000 psi (and we know this number is approximate due to potentially a large calibration error, but at least it is highly repeatable), and you then start a new round of load development, that you cannot simply ramp up the new powder charge in small increments until you equal the prior pressure reading of “66,000” (with potentially a significant but likely constant offset) and get the same case life, assuming the same batch of cases fired from the same rifle and therefore the same chamber and case capacity (within 0.5% assuming a volume sorted batch of premium cases)…

What am i missing, is the PT system not repeatable?

These are my thoughts:

Primer pocket life is affected by more than just peak chamber pressure. There is start pressure, peak pressure, how fast pressure builds, etc.

A heavy for caliber bullet sitting on top of a max charge of fast burning powder and in the lands equals short primer pocket life. That’s one extreme.

A light bullet on top of slow burning powder away from the lands equals long primer pocket life. That’s the other extreme.

I once did a durability test on FGMM 308 brass. I got 19 out of 25 cases to last 25 firings before the primer pockets got too loose for my liking. The load was 175gr SMK on top of 41.7grs of 4064. These were the very same cases people condemned as soft, garbage, etc.

So i am actually interested in getting a used Pressure Trace system at a good price. Are you selling?

Not at this time. Previously I was kinda caught up in the rapid turnaround cycle of trying to keep primary and backup guns up and running for competition, sometimes in multiple calibers. Did a lot of shooting, but not as much time to pause and test/analyze things as I would have liked. I pretty much pulled the plug on that a little while back, and I'm *hoping* that'll mean more opportunities to tinker. I just found out that GRT has a plugin for the PTII, which is awesome as the OEM software was more than a little dated.

I think the question is really 'how do you get 10 firings out of your brass using the 80K PSI SH method of handloading (unofficial)'? Most anyone that can read a reloading manual can find a low charge weight. Ages ago Doug at SRT gave me 1k pieces of BH 308 brass and I proceeded to wear it all out in three firings because I thought I needed every ounce wrung out of it. Just slowing down the speeds is sufficient to prolong tight primer pockets. There is a more nuanced conversation to brass life but chamber pressure alone is the primary predictor of primer pocket life.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
No argument from my side. I have no interest in unsafe loads.

If only the reloading manuals stated case life for their top loads for the 5 most popular brands of brass…. Then you could make an informed decision about the best choice of brass, compare price to performance, and evaluate the overall viability of the chambering vs barrel life. But that is probably never going to happen.

I get the comments about all the sources of error when you try to use a PTII. It will always be a relative measurement. I still expect it to be fairly repeatable - even if calibration is rather “approximate”.

Well i learned a few new things from this conversation:

1) Calibration rounds are not (generally) available in the US. [So give up on that idea.]

2) From a purely practical perspective, and if you want to keep it simple: Find the max pressure, back off “enough”, and run with it. If the batch of brass expires on you too early, go one node lower (often 50-80 fps slower), and see what you get from your next fresh batch of brass. Problem solved by experimenting to success. [And don’t be greedy and chase speed at all cost!]

One creative thing that i tested, that did appear to be useful: Pick out your 10 heaviest cases (smallest internal volume, so the worst case scenario) and set them aside for an experiment that will almost certainly ruin these cases. [They will be close in terms of weight range, so results should be comparable. Recheck their internal case volume if you prefer.]

a) Take powder weighed before with you to the range (incremental charges 0.5 gn apart, and stored in little glass medicine bottles, available on Amazon). Take an FL die along that is already set up correctly in the Lee hand press. Always put the same powder charge in the same numbered case, then fire and reload at the shooting range, and when the top load survives 10 reloads, go home happy, knowing that you probably can go a little higher.

b) If any load shows clear pressure signs like a hard bolt lift, stop using it, and all those cases intended for higher charges.

c) Once the remaining (safe) top load case will not hold a primer anymore, assuming you are below 10 reloads, stop using it, continue with the lower loads until you figure out which reduced load can handle at least 10 “field” reloads, and take that as your max powder charge that will ensure “adequate” case life. [Yes it will use up some of your scarce components….]

d) Short cut approach: Get an inside micrometer. I stopped after 6 reloads with the ADG brass, but i got what i needed from that abbreviated experiment: A pretty accurate average primer pocket expansion per firing, measured via an inside micrometer, and i could predict when “failure” will eventually arrive. [Ignore the first firing, most of the expansion happens with the fire forming step, just subtract that out and then divide by 5, not 6.]

3) I agree that the benefits of higher speed (like less wind drift, increased supersonic range, less scope travel/turret elevation (and running out of scope adjustment and having to spend more money on a prism system for ELR excursions) are so marginal that you should really aim for the second highest node, often 50-80 fps below max. That will always give exceptional brass life. [But you don’t want brass to survive 40 or 50 reloads, that will give up too much in performance. And force you to deal with donuts in the neck.]

And finally, rather pick a bigger cartridge than torture a small cartridge that just does not have the case capacity for the speed and performance you have in mind… and learn to live with the reduced barrel life.

Longer barrels help (and also hurt): I got around 34 fps more per inch from a 30” barrel compared to an identically chamberer 18” barrel (chambered with the same reamer).

Also, all that extra barrel length increases weight (which reduces recoil, keeping you from getting pushed around too much by a heavy recoiling round). But long barrels whip more, even if they are large diameter, and seating depth needs to be more carefully optimized. For my 30” barrel, worst seating depth gave a 1.2” group, best seating depth gave 0.2”.

Also, barrel dwell time increases with long barrels, meaning follow through, recoil management, and shooter form matters more. A 34” 375 magnum rifle will amplify your inconsistencies in form much more than an 18” barrel chambered in a hot 6 mm caliber, and all that extra barrel length might end up hurting group size, rather than helping.

Some folks also report that longer barrels have a higher tendency to blow up bullets, and argue that the long barrel does more damage (scratches and gas cutting from gas blow-by) to thin skinned bullet jackets…. But possibly the extra bullet speed has something to do with it too. Anyway, whatever the real reason, worth keeping that in mind, especially if you are running a faster twist rate on purpose to maintain good stability throughout the transition zone.

Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.

Case closed, and yes it probably is time for me to build a 300 Norma Magnum… maybe next year.

Last edited:
No argument from my side.

If only the reloading manuals stated case life for their top loads for the 5 most popular brands of cases…. But that is probably never going to happen.

This is where I think the 10 (or 20) single shot ladder shines. You can get a pretty good idea how hot your loads are in 10 rounds over a chronograph based on available load data. It's pretty easy to figure out pressure with the 10 shot ladder, a chronograph, and QL.

Reactions: NamibHunter