• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass life question

Domestique

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Reading, Pa
I'm on about my 5th reload with a batch of .308 Federal brass. When I first started to reload them, I set the dies correctly via the guide on here, they chambered easy and all that jazz. Now Im getting some considerable resistance when chambering a round. I checked my die (full length) on a spare piece of once fired brass I had, and sure enough, my initial setting was still correct as it chambered normally. Now, my question is should I readjust my die when this happens or should I keep it as is and consider the brass done after this cycle?

Re: Brass life question

If you want to continue to use that brass I do believe that you are going to need to anneal it .....

Or you can trash it.

Anneal it. Hold the neck up to a torch and count to seven aligator while turning the case.

Have you trimmed your brass to proper or reasonable length after any of the previous full length resizings? Remember, they grow more when you full length resize.
How hot do you run your loads? Max?
Any changes to overall length of the finished rounds? Longer or differently ogived bullets?
Have you extracted a hard to chamber round to see if there are any marks on the bullet or case mouth?

Just a few simple things to look into before you learn to anneal. And learn you must before you attempt!

assuming you are using a non-bushing die, you need to make sure you have screwed the die in tightly and then re-evaluate whether you are bumping the shoulder back enough. If you are reloading moderate pressure rounds, it may take4-5 firings before headspace is gone and you have a snug/tight fit. Measure from case head to somewhere on the shoulder with a comparator on your snug brass and adjust your die to bump the shoulder .002 or whatever you like. Try to chamber this newly sized case and see does it go. aside from decapping pin adjustment, this is the only adjustment you can make with your die. Assuming you headspace is correct if it fits in the die it should fit in the chamber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on about my 5th reload with a batch of .308 Federal brass. When I first started to reload them, I set the dies correctly via the guide on here, they chambered easy and all that jazz. Now Im getting some considerable resistance when chambering a round. I checked my die (full length) on a spare piece of once fired brass I had, and sure enough, my initial setting was still correct as it chambered normally. Now, my question is should I readjust my die when this happens or should I keep it as is and consider the brass done after this cycle? </div></div>

You can't check your die on a once fired piece because its probably not tight yet.
It's the 5 times fired brass that you have to set the die for as it will be hardening up and more springy.
As another member has said annealing at this point would be good also.
Anneal the necks down to just past the shoulder then readjust your die untill they just chamber with a slight bit of resistance then adjust the die a very small ammount at a time extra until that chambering resistance goes . Then lock the die there.

+1 on what bugholes said. Most of the time it takes a few firings before the shoulder will be blown all the way out. Loosen the the lock ring and turn the die down another 1/8 turn and try the brass again.