• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass life with relation to expressed pressure signs

Macmathews

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
Ontario . Canada
I own a Rem 700 5R. in 308 that I have shot since 2012 and current best load is Lapua brass , 44.4 Grains Varget and 175 Grain SMK. I will get swipe just a few tenths about this charge.
I recently bought a Ruger PR also in .308 and did some pressure testing up to 45.5 grains of Varget also with lapua brass and a 175 Grain SMK.. ZERO signs of pressure and stopped going beyond ( I really saw no point of going north of that load)
My question is this. My 5R will loosen primer pockets at around 7 firings.. Will the brass get beat up with the same load on the Ruger even though it shows NO signs of pressure ?

On another note , My best load so far with either 178 BTHP or 175 SMK in the Ruger is right at 1" (5 shot groups) My rem would shoot almost anything at or under .5" MOA . I have some 155 grain scenars I am going to try.

Lower it to 44.0 grains and alter the seating depth to bring back the accuracy

I use 43 grains of Varget with 175s..shoots good...and no loose primer pockets loose primer pockets...Ray

My question is this. My 5R will loosen primer pockets at around 7 firings.. Will the brass get beat up with the same load on the Ruger even though it shows NO signs of pressure ?

Probably not. Pressure can be very different in two different rifles with the same load. How does the velocity compare between them (at the same load)?