• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass neck concentricity

Jdaniel343

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Casper,WY 82601
I just began loading for a 308 and after FL sizing Lapua brass using RCBS competion dies, I decided to check how concentric the necks were.
Using a RCBS case measuring setup, I discovered that cases necks were out by 0.004 to 0.005. Not all were this bad. at least half were 0.002.
Since I had the press with the die still installed I decided to run the "bad" cases thru the die again. I was somewhat amazed to find that they now ran 0.002 or less.
Is this common?
I am not saying that 0.004 is nessasily bad, I was just looking for better and I feel 0.002 is more than acceptable.
By the way I have been loading since 1976, I just had never thought to run brass thru the die more than once.

I've done that too. I've noticed I get better concentricity when I resize slowly. If I start getting in the groove some times I tend to speed up as I go. And that often ends up with many(< half ) with >.002 inconcenetric. But if I focus and keep it slow then I often get 100% <.002 and around half will be close to .0005-.001