• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BRASS-O-MATIC versus BC 1000 annealing machine

Steve in Allentown PA

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
The advantages of automating the annealing process seem obvious to me so for some time I've been thinking about getting one of these annealing macines. The Ken Light machine was the first one I became aware of and after lots of contemplation I was close to plunking my money down for one. Then I ran across the Zephyr Dynamics machine and put my wallet back in my pocket.

Just by browsing the web both machines appear to have particular strengths. For instance, the BC 1000 seems more mechanically sophisticated and refined while the Brass-O-Matic is simpler and can handle any size brass without having to invest more money in additional components for the machine.

However. without actually working with both machines I cannot evaluate their actual strengths and weaknesses. Since the price tags preclude me from simply buying both and keeping the one I like the best I'm turning to you guys to see if I can get at least some comparative product reviews.

I know someone is going to say: "Get either one. They both work fine." I think I've said that myself a few times to guys who were mulling over a purchase of one kind or another. But here I am, hat in hand, asking for opinions based on real life experience with these machines.

Re: BRASS-O-MATIC versus BC 1000 annealing machine

The rotary plate on the Ken Light unit would also act as a heatsink for the lower half of the case(this is very important), so thats the one that would get my vote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rotary plate on the Ken Light unit would also act as a heatsink for the lower half of the case(this is very important), so thats the one that would get my vote.</div></div>

It acts as a heat sink because the center is filled with water which preheats the cases and after annealing sucks the heat out of the brass. I looked into the brass o matic before I bought Ken's annealer also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rotary plate on the Ken Light unit would also act as a heatsink for the lower half of the case(this is very important), so thats the one that would get my vote. </div></div>

Oddly enough, the instructions that come w/ the Brass-O-Matic show cases marked w/ TempiLaq all the way to the base - three stripes, 300, 400, 500°F.

Surprise, surprise, the base never gets even close to that hot. Might be too warm to pick up by hand, but only the very tip of the 500° stripe, which went about half-ways up the case body, even began to change. I ordered a couple extra bottles of Tempilaq and replicated this experiment myself. So since the case head/web area never gets anywhere near the stress-relieving temp (700-800°F) much less annealing temp (800-1400°)... I'd say the whole bit about the merits of the wheel acting as a heat sink are over-stated. It sure doesn't hurt, but I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference either.

YMMV,

Monte

I personally like, keeping in mind that I don't have one, the Brass-o-matic. The neck is only in the flame a few seconds, not long enough for heat to transfer back far enough to be a problem.
myerfire

I have the Ken Light machine which I really like. I bought all the extra "wheels" at the time of purchase. I have not had any trouble what so ever. I will say that I would not be willing to try a Brass-O-Matic if I could never go back to using the Ken Light if I didn't like it.
Semper Fi

I was ready to buy the Brass-O-Matic after seeing it advertised in Varmint Hunter's December issue for $399 - then I saw the price on their website....

Anybody tried to work them for the original price?

Seems like it would be easy enough to make your own. The brass-o-matic isnt over-engineered, and seems pretty solid in design. I bet one could be built for under $150.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like it would be easy enough to make your own. The brass-o-matic isnt over-engineered, and seems pretty solid in design. I bet one could be built for under $150.00 </div></div>

I agree with your assessment. What I'd be paying for is their time and experience. I have precious little of either and am willing to pay for someone else's as long as I'm getting a solid value for my dollar.

Ken Light has a long standing reputation in shooting circles while the guy(s) at Zephyr Dynamics are new in terms of manufacturing products. I suppose more than anything else this familiarity is a sticking point for me. It's a case of the known versus the unknown. I'm not against going with the new kid on the block but I need to achieve a comfort level before turning my back on the established leader.

To those who have these machines, does the manufacturer offer a warranty or money back guarantee?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet one could be built for under $150.00 </div></div>

After I made a print, it cost me the minimum charge (from the business that does my CNC lazer cutting) of $75 for 4 of the wheels/"saws". I dug through my "junk", as the wife calls it, and found a power window motor and a dimmer swtich out of an RX-7 to perform the indexing duties. Two benz-o-matic torches set me back $32 at homedepot including the tanks; however, I think I'm going to connect them to a 20# tank. If it works to my expectations I'll go ahead and make a conversion so I can feed it with a Dillon case feeder.

First run, $100 later

Video
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=annealer.flv

still.jpg

brass1.jpg

brass.jpg

It’s hard to capture the amount of annealing done the two photos are of the same cases in different lighting. The annealed case (right) looks just like the ss109 I had on hand.

Now it just needs a frame/basket and adapted to work with the Dillon case feeder.

I would go with the Ken Light. You have to see one in person
the pictures do it no justice at all, it is a work of art. Looks like
a piece of jewelry.