• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

brass or nickle preference....

hershey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2007
northern ohio
hi all, i know that brass is by far more common than the nickle cases when it comes to reloading (i think), but i have noticed now in two different calibers 308 and 300wsm that i am getting more consistancy out of the nickle. any comments or thoughts?

Re: brass or nickle preference....

I would shy away from nickle for a few reasons.

1. Its just a coating ontop of a brass case...so I wouldnt think it would have much impact on consistancy.

2. Its hard as hell...hard enough to scratch your dies....

3. It can flake off after repeated sizings...which leaves it looking ugly, maybe a higher probability of scratching your dies.

4. With as much as reloaders clean cases, corosion (which is what nickle was put there to control in the first place) isnt an issue.

But hey....if its giving you better consistancy...keep it up.

If you are going to carry the loaded rounds in your wet leather Western style pistol belt loops, go with nickle. Also, it is easier to find the ejected fired cases on the forest floor after shooting your buck. Otherwise, no advantage and the disadvantages enumerated by W-W are real.

I dont use nickel cases cause you aint gonna like trimmin them! They will tear up your cutter!

John

I once made some 7-08 brass using 308 match brass - NEVER AGAIN.

I use it if it falls in my lap via trade, etc. but do not buy it.

If it works for you, great.

second this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would shy away from nickle for a few reasons.

1. Its just a coating ontop of a brass case...so I wouldnt think it would have much impact on consistancy.

2. Its hard as hell...hard enough to scratch your dies....

3. It can flake off after repeated sizings...which leaves it looking ugly, maybe a higher probability of scratching your dies.

4. With as much as reloaders clean cases, corosion (which is what nickle was put there to control in the first place) isnt an issue.

But hey....if its giving you better consistancy...keep it up. </div></div>

I <span style="font-weight: bold">only</span> use nickle cases for ammo that I've "purpose loaded" - meaning that it will be handled in & out of a gun many times before it's likely to be fired.

The nickle keeps tarnish at bay, but it seems to make the case-mouth brittle and crack sooner than plain brass.

.45-70 and some .45acp rounds are about all that I've cared to use nickle-plated cases for. YMMV

Nickel is dissolved with Hoppe's #9, Which is a damned fine reason not to clean nickel plated firearms with the stuff.

My judgement about nickel plated brass is that it is superior for ammunition which will be subjected to long storage or extended handling prior to use. Mostly, the nickel plated neck interior may, I say may, be a way to avoid the bullet to case neck bond which alters projectile pull force, and can affect accuracy. Of all the factors I can think of, that one seems most important to me.

Projectile selection will probably also have additional criteria, with the potential for corrosion being more highly significant

I try to only load nickel cases for application where I do not envision multiple reloading cycles.

Greg