• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass or Trash

roostercogburn98

Fudd gun collector extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
Have a small batch of 6.5 creedmoor brass that I got to test loads and break the barrel in. It is 100 rounds of Federal brass. My question is should I try to anneal the necks and use it more or scrap it since I have 4 firings on it and some of the primer pockets are getting soft. I already have 400 pieces of Hornady waiting to load up so no loss if I trash it. Just curious to the thoughts here.

I swage each piece of my brass after each firing with a pocket swage tool and just get rid of those that are loose. I tend to get about 10 firing from my Federal brass and only have to discard very few to that point. At 10 firings case wall is stretching and head separation looks imminent and that's when I trash them all.

FWIW, and as I have asked in other threads, Please hang on to 'scrap brass' for me. I'll pay shipping. I'm trying to amass a 'shit-load' of brass (all different caliber's) for an 'Art Project' and I just don't have it in me to use 'good/viable' brass.

For well over a year now, I've been trying to collect brass. No, I'm not kidding. Serious as a heart-attack. Hit me with a PM, if you're willing to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: roostercogburn98
FWIW, and as I have asked in other threads, Please hang on to 'scrap brass' for me. I'll pay shipping. I'm trying to amass a 'shit-load' of brass (all different caliber's) for an 'Art Project' and I just don't have it in me to use 'good/viable' brass.

For well over a year now, I've been trying to collect brass. No, I'm not kidding. Serious as a heart-attack. Hit me with a PM, if you're willing to help.

Will keep it for you then. Probably got more somewhere laying around or different calibers as well.

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
They stay in the pocket and I’m not worried about them falling out during firing. They just don’t have that snug fit you expect when seating a primer. I got 400 more to start working on so these will be retired. I have had one primer blow out in a gun but was in a different caliber that is notorious for pressure. It was a super small change in powder but I won’t make that mistake again and risk myself or a gun

Have a small batch of 6.5 creedmoor brass that I got to test loads and break the barrel in. It is 100 rounds of Federal brass. My question is should I try to anneal the necks and use it more or scrap it since I have 4 firings on it and some of the primer pockets are getting soft. I already have 400 pieces of Hornady waiting to load up so no loss if I trash it. Just curious to the thoughts here.
Not worth the effort. Toss it.

How loose is loose? o_O ?

3421728F-F3EC-4E79-B67B-4421D2E7B00D.jpeg

This is too loose.

Reactions: roostercogburn98

Yup.

Rather than finding out this way, I simply use a swage gauge after each firing and trash canning any that the swage will slide into. Though some pockets can feel a bit loose when priming, they hold up as long as they pass the swage gauge test. It's really the only reliable way I've found to know when the pockets are actually too loose. I hate guessing and throwing away perfectly good brass. . . especially when I've invested a lot of time precision tuning them.

For those who haven't see such a swage gauge, here's a pic:

IMG_0001a.JPG

Reactions: Sean the Nailer