• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Priming Service? - Large Rifle Magnum Primers

RavenRocksPrecision

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2023
NC
www.ravenrocksprecision.com
We are a sponsor on this site and sell a lot of premium/harder to find rifle brass. We also hold a couple of FFLs to include an 07. We have access to Large Rifle Magnum Primers for manufacturing, and were curious if folks were still having a hard enough time finding LRP Mag, that they'd be interested in a brass priming service (i.e. buy new brass and pay X amount more to have it primed).

We wouldn't do it for all brass (probably large magnum caliber in which the cost of the brass vastly outweighs the price of the individual primer). The cost would be moreso reflective of the time it takes to prime the brass and the service would be for folks that for whatever reasons cannot get ahold of / or are totally out of LRP magnum primers. Primer type is TBD at the moment.

Curious what folks think of this. Totally understandable that if you have the means, you'd rather primer your own, especially for LR.

Prime away. One less thing I've got to worry about. I'd rather buy it primed if I have an option. Time is the thing that I have the least of.

While I can see this being a successful endeavor, I am curious... With the market the way it is, wouldn't it be more cost effective to sell the primers and brass separately? The primers would fly off your shelves in a matter of minutes and quality brass has a steady demand. Combing the two would require additional labor and cut into potential profit in my mind. No doubt you would adjust pricing to offset that but again, in this market, a move like that would potentially toss out a fair bit of prospective buyers.

I may be way out of line here seeing as how primed brass is a successful venture in the industry as a whole. Feel free to tell me to pound sand if that's the case.

As previously stated, the time savings and convenience are always nice and you wouldn't have any problem selling it. I am just curious about the business side of it.

While I can see this being a successful endeavor, I am curious... With the market the way it is, wouldn't it be more cost effective to sell the primers and brass separately? The primers would fly off your shelves in a matter of minutes and quality brass has a steady demand. Combing the two would require additional labor and cut into potential profit in my mind. No doubt you would adjust pricing to offset that but again, in this market, a move like that would potentially toss out a fair bit of prospective buyers.

I may be way out of line here seeing as how primed brass is a successful venture in the industry as a whole. Feel free to tell me to pound sand if that's the case.

As previously stated, the time savings and convenience are always nice and you wouldn't have any problem selling it. I am just curious about the business side of it.
With primers in high demand , selling a piece of brass with each primer seems like a great idea to me .

Another aspect is that primed cases are not classified hazmat, so no fees. Although other than the component shortages and quantity limits, most buy in large enough volumes to ease the hazmat fee. I can see this as useful for those that don't have or can't find primers, along with those who are needing rarer cases, which aren't usually bought in huge quantities.

Reactions: TSULLI and mtrmn

From a business side, the thought is:

-We can't sell those particular primers without incorporating them into a manufacturing process which priming brass for sale is (FFL 07). This is a requirement put in place by the primer source.
-Additionally, if priming brass increases the sales volume of that brass, then it might make sense for us to do it (especially on the more expensive slower moving brass.
-Customers who have access to LRP magnum primers likely won't take advantage of this service. I can see it being beneficial for someone coming up on hunting season though (guys who might not need bulk but are low on LRP M).
-As one other user noted, no HAZMAT required is nice for a customer. We do free shipping on orders over $150, so it could just go UPS ground.

I appreciate the feedback--especially from the guys who aren't interested. My time is pretty limited, so I'd rather focus it on bringing the best/most unique stuff to the market.

Reactions: TSULLI and mtrmn
From a business side, the thought is:

-We can't sell those particular primers without incorporating them into a manufacturing process which priming brass for sale is (FFL 07). This is a requirement put in place by the primer source.
-Additionally, if priming brass increases the sales volume of that brass, then it might make sense for us to do it (especially on the more expensive slower moving brass.
-Customers who have access to LRP magnum primers likely won't take advantage of this service. I can see it being beneficial for someone coming up on hunting season though (guys who might not need bulk but are low on LRP M).
-As one other user noted, no HAZMAT required is nice for a customer. We do free shipping on orders over $150, so it could just go UPS ground.

I appreciate the feedback--especially from the guys who aren't interested. My time is pretty limited, so I'd rather focus it on bringing the best/most unique stuff to the market.

After re-reading your original post, I noticed that you specifically addressed the fact that these primers were for manufacturing... I'm not sure how I missed that the first time around. That presents an interesting opportunity to help move your slower moving brass as you mentioned.

I had not considered that fact that there is no hazmat charge for primed brass. That's awesome!

As I said, I am sure you will do well. Business is another interest of mine so I was just curious. Thanks for the insight!