• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brass question

linc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Tyler,TX
Ive got some brass with 2 firings on them that have a ring around the base, these are 3006, about half of what I have are like this. This is win and fed brass from factory ammo. Do these need to be thrown out? I am not loading to max at all. Primers are not cratered or pierced. No markings on the head stamp. Read this forum all the time and get a lot of info but dont post much. Thanks for any help.

Re: Brass question

Dont know how to post pics. But it is maybe 1/4" from head stamp. visible ring. I cant feel it but you can see this ring. If it was from resizing I thought they would all have it.

It's part of the case that is unsupported just before the chamber, I find it's a sign of pressure for my rifles. While I consider it normal when pushing the limits it can have adverse problems on the brass after a few re sizes. Inside the case a ring forms at the start of the bulge and the brass starts to thin out in that spot.

"Case head separation."

Plug that into the Google and look at the pics, is that like yours?

Federal brass is soft as well, may add to the problem.
Also mine are not normally perfectly bulged all the way around, more so on one side than the other.

Yep thats it. What I was afraid of. I thought I read that it was a bad sign but couldnt remember of what. Guess they need to go. Is this common on the 3006? Only saw this in a couple of my 223 brass and they have been fired more.

here Looking at these pictures my brass looks like what this guy says is ok. If the link worked.

Not so fast Linc...

It's also a perfectly normal mark found at the base of most cases near the point on the case where the taper begins toward the shoulder. It is merely a polished mark where the die rubs against that high point.

If your cases look like figure 4, example A, you are fine as this is a frequent occurrence.

Is there a tool thats made to check this so I can verify thats its not case head separation?

My guess is that you're probably okay if you're loads are not that hot and you're only got a couple of firings on the brass.

Some ideas:

Take a paper clip, and straighten it. Put a little hook on one end. Run the hooked end along the inside of the case and feel for a thinning in the case body.

Alternatively, if you have a dremel, cut one questionable case in half, lengthwise. Then look at the case wall. Is it noticeably thinner where the mark is on the outside?

Thanks for the help guys. Cant make it to the show. Working all weekend.

My dentist gave me an extra long "probe" with a 1 1/2" straight wire on the end. I very carefully bent a small hook on the end and have been using this the last couple of years.

Well I got a paperclip and used that and didnt feel anything. So I cut one and it looks good. So looks like there good for a while longer. Going to try to post these pics.
brass cut out
this was the ring I was seeing.
ring

From what I can make out, it looks to me like that's where the die stops. And it's leaving a burnish line on the brass.

Stay alert.

Good luck.