• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Resizing Question

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I am shooting a bolt action Bergara B14 HMR chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I was under the impression that after I fired a cartridge from my weapons platform, that spent piece of brass would NOT fit back into my chamber. Well, it does. I am working with twice fired Lapua Brass. I have been reloading now for a little over a year and have just recently gone down another rabbits hole when it comes to Properly resizing my brass for precision shooting. I am only bumping my shoulders back .002, or attempting to. But, that's another thread. My question is why does my spent piece of brass, fired from my rifle, still chamber before I resize it?

I’m no expert but I’ve been reloading pretty good while now. It chambers because it’s a mirror image to you chamber that’s why the call it fire formed. However it has zero headspace at the shoulder and the body of the case is expanded to the exact dimension of the chamber so it may not chamber it certain circumstances like dirt or debris in the chamber. This is why you bump the shoulder back 0.001-0.002 in bolt actions to prevent issues while chambering. In the process of course you tension the neck hold the bullet and sizing the body to spec diameter if using a FL sizer die

Your case chambers after firing because of spring back brass springs back maybe a thou or so which enables you to extract it otherwise it would be frozen in your chamber.

Reactions: OREGUN
Thanks for the replies. Both of them make sense to me. (y)

It entirely depends on the chamber pressure of the previous firing.
Yes, there is some spring back, but there would come a point where chamber pressure would be so high, that you would not be able to rechamber after the first firing. You’d likely have signs of pressure by that point anyway.

It’ll fit until it doesn’t. All dependent on chamber, brass, and pressure.

Hence the reason for F/L sizing every time. That ensures reliability and that it won’t start having extraction issues when you aren’t prepared.

It’ll fit until it doesn’t. All dependent on chamber, brass, and pressure.

Hence the reason for F/L sizing every time. That ensures reliability and that it won’t start having extraction issues when you aren’t prepared.
When resizing for a semi auto, should the shoulder be bumped back more than .002”?

Do we need to post the video again?

Please, post the video, or a link to the original video. This will never die completely.
1610725496720.png