• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass resizing woes with GAP Tempest action

regency

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
www.patwar.com
I have always resized my brass according to 'felt bolt lift' on a fired case with the firing pin removed in my other bolt guns. This tempest action has me kinda messed up because I can not get a good feel for 'smoothness/easness' with it when checking bolt closure. It is still notchy feeling.

I have fired alpha loaded brass and fired hornady loaded brass through it. Both measure 1.517 on average when using a .400 whidden shoulder gauge on a comparator. This number still falls .001-.002 below '0' on my GO gauge. I'm pretty sure I oversized one piece of brass but to me it feels the same as the fired brass...

I'm guessing this gun has naturally tight chamber..? My other bolt guns go up to or just over '0' on my GO gauge when fired.

Any pointers? Should I just not worry about my GO gauge and size it .002-.003 below my measured 1.517?

There’s nothing peculiar about the tempest with regard to feel. Probably not worth comparing this chamber to your other guns.

How many firings on the brass? What loads? Does it pass a go gauge test? Have you considered sizing them so the shoulder doesn’t bump at all? When the case is too long in headspace, you’ll know it. Remember, the long cases will be hard to close all the way down. A clunk at the top means nothing. The clunk you’re feeling may be the extractor snapping over the rim. I reshaped mine so it would more easily snap over case rims.

Another technique you can use is to chamber a piece of sized brass, close the bolt on it, then thrust the bolt forward(striker removed, ejector left in). The ejector thrusts the bolt away from the case head creating space if there is any. You can easily feel .001 or more space.

Last edited: