• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Shavings from priming? (pics)

Marksman762

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2005
Grand Forks, ND
Background: I usually prime with a Lee hand tool, which works quite well, however on this batch of mixed year LC .223 brass I've noticed the Federal 205M primers don't want to seat all the way into the brass with the Lee tool. I decided to switch to my Co-Ax press to see if that would seat them deep enough, which it did.

Now I'm getting these strange shavings of brass from priming off the Co-Ax press. Has anyone seen these before? What could be causing them? All the primer pockets were swaged or reamed.

The only thing I could think of is perhaps the primers are larger than normal in diameter. Some of the primers did not want to seat into the priming cup on the press either. It took a small amount of force for them to sit in correctly, as if they were slightly too big.

I'm going to try another lot of primers to see if perhaps that will make a difference. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Priming001.jpg

Priming004.jpg

Re: Brass Shavings from priming? (pics)

I assume that the the shaving shown is the same diameter as the primer; it looks like the crimp was not completely removed before reloading. Check your primer pockets closely.

Good shooting
Ron

Hmm, weird...maybe they screwed up on making the primers too large where they go into the case and its scraping as it goes in. Unless the crimping on the used military brass was somewhat still there...

UPDATE:

I tried the Lee tool with a different lot of primers with the same result as far as them not seating all the way. I'm thinking the tool took a dump somehow.

That said, I'll keep a close eye on my primer pockets and make absolutely sure the crimp is removed and report back...

Thank you for the thoughts so far!

Yep, its the crimp not fully removed. These actually look like the shavings I get when I cut out the crimps with an exacto knife.

Check the primer pockets on the cases that had the crimp removed by reaming. There should be a radius leading into the primer pocket, not a partially square shoulder. It looks like the primer was not started EXACTLY square and knocked off the old crimp metal outside the radius.

You should be able to debur the radius on the cases that were reamed to take care of this.

Good shooting
Ron

I get those little shavings a lot when I swage. Maybe they are left over from that?