• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brass small rifle primers

DMP

Mike
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2018
Northern Utah
Other than Winchester, does any other manufacturer make small rifle primers that are not Nickle plated?

I am loading 223 for my grandson's AR. He gave me WSR primers. I have read conflicting reports about using the brass primers in a AR. But at least half of the 2000 cases he has are brass primers, and I see no problem on any of them.

Remington 7 1/2s and trillions have been shot in service rifles without any trouble. Newer made Wolf and Tula were also not chrome plated. Work up, you should be fine.

Reactions: kyzim311
He brought me TAC powder. I checked Ramshots data and they used Win primers. I do not think their data is old enough to be prior to Winchester's change to no Nickle playing. I think I will back the load off 1.5 grains from the last load I used with CCI450. This is play ammo, not high performance ammo.

I am curious what your concerns are with using unplated primers? As far as I know all the popular primers are all brass cups. The nickel plating is not thick enough to make any difference in function, and the brass case with corrode just as quick as the brass primer if storage was a concern. The only issue I know of is with Winchester primers specifically having too thin of cup on a couple lots, causing pierced primers and etching bolt faces. It is unrelated, but worth noting.

I have read conflicting reports about using the brass primers in a AR.

This is internet nonsense posted by inexperienced reloaders who have no clue of what they're talking about. Any issue with a primer in an AR has NOTHING to do with the color of the primer. It may have to do with primer cup thickness with loads at top pressures.

This is internet nonsense posted by inexperienced reloaders who have no clue of what they're talking about. Any issue with a primer in an AR has NOTHING to do with the color of the primer. It may have to do with primer cup thickness with loads at top pressures.
And the occasional rare slam fire.

My understanding is that the Winchester SRP changed from Nickle to uncoated brass. When this happened there was primer piercing. I do not know if the cup thickness changed or if removing the platting diminished the strength. As where these AR loads are for my grandson, I just want to make sure they are not a failure waiting to happen. If they were mine I would use them and move on. Thanks for the info!