• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

brass stacker mosin scope mount

Re: brass stacker mosin scope mount

For $15 you can get a leapers dovetail 1 piece and attach to your scope base.

http://www.amazon.com/Leapers-Accushot-Mount-Rings-Dovetail/dp/B001BR4TJY

$19 for the offset (if you want to keep the stock handguard on the rifle.
http://www.amazon.com/Leapers-Accushot-Bi-directional-Offset-Dovetail/dp/B001CR9ZR4

You just drive out the pins, remove your rear sight then install the leapers. This allows for a good check weld(because the scope is closer to the receiver). The mount you posted is frickin high, this will require a cheek pad to get a good weld, or you will be knocking your chin everytime you pull the trigger.

To the OP, i've gotta ask WHY??? That has got to be the most God awful thing i've seen in a long time. I think the recoil of a mosin would snap that flimsy little sucker right off, lol.

Rock Solid Ind. has a nice mosin mount. So far it's the only one i've seen worth a shit.

The dovetail is a good idea, UTG makes a dovetail to picatinny adapter too if that fits your need better.

PS, companies like Warne make rings that will go right on the dovetail too.

i'll check out those mounts in the links.

i agree i really really like the rock solid mounts, but i don't want to alter the rifle, at least at this point. if i go that route, then i'm also going boyds stock, cut the barrel to 22", nice glass, rock solid bent bolt, and i'm sure a few other things

but for now i want to add a scope without altering the rifle so i can change it back to factory if i choose to

btw, I just read on surplus rifle that the 91/30 and its variants (91/59, etc.) are the only ones with the dovetail under the sight. So don't go ripping it of if you have an m44 or m38.

or try this:

http://www.jmeckscopemounts.com/

i've got the 91/30

please excuse my ignorance. but would those leapers accushot ones work, would they just clamp the dove tail? if so i am guessing i would just take the rear sight off, clamp these on add a scope, and i could change it back to factory if i choose to right?

before you think this is a completely dumb question, this is my first rifle, and i know very little hence all the questions and the reading i've done lately

Not dumb, over at that other site I sent you there is a thread completely dedicated to scout scoping. I just cut a small notch in the leapers mount and then re-insert one of the base pins. Yes you can put your rifle back to original condition, and you wont need to change the bolt. You will need a long eye relief scope or a pistol scope. BTW did Tim give you that rifle?

yes he did, very nice guy, just got email from him the other day and he got me the rear barrel/stock ring (currently using thick zip tie).

i'll go look for that thread right now, so if i go the scout scope route with the dove tail mounts (which i like cause it's cheaper, but cheaper isn't always better). what is the likely hood of having scope issues becuase of the recoil, or is this something that might be solved with a better pair of rings vs the cheapest pair of rings? i am also guessing i don't want to get the cheapest scope i can find either, i'd like to keep it around $100-$150 for now. i figure worst case, i save the scope for next rifle (maybe 22 project) and can always sell the rings and keep losses at a minium

Mur,

Here is the thing, the MN is a nice battle rifle and to be respected for its duty in several wars..

Ok now thats out of the way.

I am a big proponent of good glass, but in this case I dont see anything wrong with a cheapo nc star pistol scope. In your first post I put up a pic of one of my scouts, it is a NC star fixed 2x20. It will get the job done up to 100Y or so. You can also get the NC Star pistolero which is variable 2-7 and its not too much bigger.

Later if you find a load that shoots less than 3" you can bump up to a Nikon Encore, Burris or Leupold scout scopes. Like you I started my new gun collection with a MN, but as I started collecting I used the good glass for my Remingtons.

You can find the Nikon from $150-$250 depending on the magnification.

As for recoil, the Leapers mounts are aluminum and are designed for 22 rifles(because of the 5/8 dovetail). Since they have over 150mm of surface contact, they tend to do better than standard rings. If you "pin" the mount, it will not go anywhere. Mine has gone through a spam can and a half of ammo and has never moved.

i agree. and this is my first rifle, so i'm still learning and don't need the best of everything just yet, i need to figure out what i like and don't like. that being said here's what i am thinking of going with(so far). i chose this scope becuase i hear long eye relief if the key is in my range(haven't looked at the nc star ones yet, i'll do that next). i know it through amazon the prices are the same as other, just get the bonus of free shipping so for under $100 i got a scope mounted and i'm not out alot, if i don't like it sell it or keep it and add it to the tool box for the next project.

scope: http://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9x32-Compact...2188&sr=8-1

mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TUSJRK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

no comes the part some might think as silly, and i mean do disrespect to anyone but it's my rife, and who knows i might think it looks retarted when i get done, but as for now i want to find some burlap and wrap it up like the snipers did back in the day. it would just be my modern version of a old school sniper(i'm sure i'm going to hear it for this one)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: murtaughf3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is my first rifle, so i'm still learning and don't need the best of everything just yet, </div></div>

murtaughf3....one of the best lessons you can learn early on IMHO is "buy once, cry once".

It is often tempting to look at going cheap to learn on...but as John Ruskin said a long time ago....

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-style: italic">"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey.
It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot... It can't be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."</span></span>

My only experience I've had with any Leapers product was a small scope on an air-rifle I had for popping rats. It couldn't even return to zero on a .22 with less than 12 ft lb pressure. So I wouldn't have much confidence in their ability to engineer a mount for a comparatively heavy recoil centrefire rifle like a Mosin

Have a look at this link and scroll down to their non-gunsmith mount.

http://www.accumounts.com/

It may seem expensive compared to some others but it meets your criteria not to bugger about with the rifle (apart from maybe the need to change the bolt handle...or buy one of Accumounts bent handle bolt handles or body...check the headspace on the latter before using though!) and won't run the risk of folding/falling apart after the first shot.

Good luck!

Mur, the first scope you posted wont work as you need a long eye relief scope.

Here is the one I have http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-pisto...ng-spb220b.html

I also used http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-illum...ng-sepb273.html

This is the newest version of the Nikon encore http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-force-xr-2x20-eer-rifle-scopes-nikoplex-reticle.html

OpticsPlanet is a top notch company and most items ship free as well.

As for buy once cry once, yes I agree with this concept when you are building a long range or even a simple hunting rifle on a modern action. Like the difference between a Millet and Vortex, or even a Vortex crossfire and the Viper.

Even with my Mauser custom (about $700 rifle) I have gone Leupold and Redfield for glass and mounts.

The MN is just one of those rifles that can be a great shooter, or sometimes a fair shooter at best.

I can tell you with confidence that a simple scout scope with the mounts I provided will do well for ranges up to 100Y, if you take your time and mount it correctly, you have the advantage of a good cheek weld, and will not have to cut your bolt.

If you want a dedicated deer rifle, then yes a rock solid mount, Redfield or Leupold glass, max_shepperd bolt and Boyds stock. If you arehardcore, then a stock MN with irons.

Here is a my last sight-in at 50 with my scout setup. When I say scout, I mean the one I cut to 20", turned down bolt, weighs about 7 lbs.

42101d1309987649-m44-91-30-scout-rifle-0526011210-800x600-.jpg

basraboy- i do like that mount

roggom- the reason i picked that scope was it was listed under the long eye relief section on the leapers website, might have found the wrong one on amazon. going to check out the nc star ones now

on a side note i just noticed on leapers website they offer special military purchase program, not sure of the discount, going to contact them and find out

i agree with both of you in the spend once cry once deal, that's one reason i've been looking for couple weeks and asking alot of questions to figure out what i want. idealy whatever i choose i will like and be done, but at the same time i would like to find something(mainly scope) that if i don't like it on the mosin, i might like it on something else.

ideally i'd like to chop the barrel to 22", get a boyds stock, rock solid mount, some nice vortex glass and be done, but at the same time i just don't know that i want to chop up this rifle.

on the other hand i was thinking if i just add simple scope to this one, i can change it back to factory, and with all the surplus parts on ebay and other forums, i can piece one together that is already choped up, might not make the most sense to put all this effort and money into something that is basically so cheap, but i think it would be nice looking, and possible a great shooter based off of some of the things i've read and seen on youtube, so who knows

This is the dilema that many find themselves in.
Here is the breakdown

To sport your rifle:

Your was free 0
cheap scout scope and base $50

So $50 investment

Rock solid $100
Bolt work $60
rings $20
ati or boyds stock $50 or $100

$230 -$280

The only thing is that it does not guarantee any type of accuracy.

Pros:

You started with a free rifle
you can shoot cheap surplus ammo
you can take anything from a pig to an elk
most gun shops carry 54r in some capacity

Cons
You bubba a rifle
no guarantee of accuracy
You just paid as much as a new Savage Axis or Remmy 710 in 308

For right now dont let this get your head in a swirl, get some surplus ammo and shoot the heck out of that rifle.

murtaugh,
chop your barrel to 22 inchs ? i wouldn't , the mosin doesnt really produce a "good" velocities with the 28in barrels.

i would not waste my money on that crap your looking at. I would keep my money and the irons before buying a cheap scope setup like what your looking at.

you must be willing to drill tap your rifle , your mosin can't be worth more money then your about to put into it anyways.Drill/tap is easy if your patient and careful.

this is probably the best way for you to go. It's cheap and reliable and looks good. If you end up not liking the setup , sell it, the POSP scopes have only gained value in the past 10 years and it's possible if you hold onto it long enough it might be worth more then what you paid. I remmeber i got my 8x42 posp for 120 dollars !! ten years ago. I could easily sell it for 150 today. And if you end up not liking the scope , get AK and put the scope on that. The saiga's come with the builtin scope mount.

dont buy that shit your looking at. It will wobble , it will not hold zero , you won't shoot good groups. And if it somehow does preform well , it won't the next day, or in a couple weeks.

the bottom line is if junk like that was any good , people would be all over it.

get these two things , some epoxy , some levels, and some taps/drills. Shit i will walk you threw how to do it. It's easy, one of the first projects i ever did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sniper-Side-Rail...445631478825382

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POSP-AK-RIFLE-SC...=item27c36d77b5

roggom, my thought exactly. guess i just need to make decision, lol. after all no mater what route i go, i do see the rifle shooting any worse

mallard, the reason i am considering going this route is i don't really want to modify the rifle in any way, and i do i want to be ablet to set it back to factroy

for me it's not about shooting sub moa or even moa, i really don't care about that, i just want to shoot, have fun, relax and the good lord willing if i got supper in my sights with in 100 yards, it will end up on the dinner table

once i figure out what i'm doing with this project, i'll be really happy, already got about 4 more project ideas in my head, just don't know which one to start first

I think the point that some are trying to make (myself included), is that you won't likely increase the chance to reach your goal of "supper on the table" with the stuff you've listed, over getting familiar with the gun and iron sights, first. No disrespect intended, but you don't have enough time/work into this gun yet to be able to say "I don't see it shooting any worse". Taking a gun that's not shooting well, because you haven't put the time and techniques into it, and just adding some cheap trinkets to it, is probably a step in the wrong direction.

Yes, I'm biased from the "purist" side of things. However,I'm not saying this because of that, at all. I'm speaking purely from a "performance" point of view, having worked with nearly fifty of these rifles and many thousands of rounds through them. I've seen a lot of these sporter project guns come and go and none of them have shot any better than an original sniper (in most cases, worse) and I've seen many that I could best with iron sights on a standard refurb rifle. Now, if you're talking about putting an expensive, modern, precision optic on one of these rifles, the optic would start to show an advantage at extended ranges, I'll give you that. But, you're not going to get into that arena for the money you're talking about, nor with the options considered, so far. Also, for the intended uses that you've outlined, that's not even needed.

The point being; if you want to get this rifle shooting it's best, you've got some work to do, but it's not as difficult or expensive as you may think. You've only just begun, but you can get big improvements by doing small additions/fixes that don't require a gunsmith, nor do they require permanent mods to the gun. If you go cutting and drilling, you've not only bypassed some of the fixes that have been available for nearly a hundred years but, in some cases, you completely remove them as a possibility and your results may not be satisfactory and could even be worse than if you had left well enough alone.

Hear me out on this. If you're willing to give this a shot and post your progress, I'll post a thread outlining some of the things that I do (just like the Russians did it) and I can guarantee you'll see an improvement in the performance of this rifle. This likely won't cost you anything, or only a small amount of money, depending on the tools/materials you have around the house, or in your garage. If, after that, you're not satisfied, or you don't think you can put down a hog/deer out to 200 yards, then, by all means, try whatever you think will get you there. But, I would like to see a comparison from that project, as well.
wink.gif

If any of this sounds harsh, I apologize. That's not my intention, at all. I would just like to see more people realize the potential of these rifles in what is basically stock form, as most people do not. Not even close.

John

joop, that doesn't sound harsh at all by any means at least i didn't take it that way. i know you have alreay helped me greatly from some of the other posts i've had. i'm pretty sure you've seen the pics of my targets in my "2nd range trip report" thread. also when i said " i don't see it shooting any worse" i in NO WAY meant it was a bad shooter. i think the exact opposit, i think she shoots pretty darn good for surplus ammo and my lack of expierence. i've been to the range every weekend since i got her and am up to about 60 rounds total(2 range trips), not alot i know but the warmest it has been at the range is about 40 with lots of wind. i just thought of adding the scope for a little extra help without permantly changing anything, that's all

which reminds me, when adjusting the front site, does that consist of taping the site over a little at a time untill i get it to where it needs to be.

I'd do the dovetail out of all those options, IMHO. But I agree with the others that this is really a solution looking for a problem. If you MUST scope it, I'd spend the money for the Nikon or similar EER scope because I think cheap optics are a losing proposition... especially on something as punishing as a mosin.

If I ever modify mine, it would be with a repro PE scope/mounts just because I like that particular vintage style.

Without any modifications its going to be tough.
If you can use the dovetail under the sight, I would do that, but then you have to look at a decent long relief scope that does not break the bank.

Any of the other stuff floating around there is crappy and flops around. The ones that mount to the sight base do not want to torque down without bending or breaking stuff. That brass stacker one looks ok...but have a feeling its probably like the others, not the best bet