• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Brass tipped screws for my lathe outboard spider?

Rafael

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2003
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I am looking for a supplier of fine thread screws to use with the spider I made. I figured brass tips would be helpful.
Anyone know a source?

Re: Brass tipped screws for my lathe outboard spider?

Thank you, sir!
I knew you had a source.
laugh.gif

The other thing you can do is drill and tap the end of a regular set of cap screws, then you can use brass screws as tips, they are then replacable, though you won't likely go through them at any kind of rapid pace.

DD

McMaster will have them in fine thread, but if you're looking for longer than 1", they may not have them. I needed 2" long 3/8-24 set screws (bolts) for my spider chuck, so I had to order them without the brass tips from a local fastener supplier. I made the tips out of 1/4" brass rod, plunged the end of the bolts with an end mill and tapped in the tips.

I didn't see fine threads at that site, but I did order some for my spider.

Good tips from all on making my own....thanks for all the great suggestions!

Up to now I have been chucking the barrel in the 4-jaw independent with the breech a ways from the headstock...then doing tricks with a piloted 45-degree centering cutter to get a good center cut going....then running the center-cut on a live-center in the tailstock to cut the outside of the chamber diameter....then putting this surface in the steady-rest to chamber/thread/face-off. It's a horrible way to do it. Pretty damn crude, but the results were fairly good as I could usually get a rod to run fairly true at multiple points.

I am looking forward to using my new spider to do the job right.
Compared to what I have been doing, it will be a breeze, plus I won't have to worry about driving the barrel out of square adjusting the rest to reduce chatter. I knew it was a bad way to do it, but I had not gotten off my ass to make a spider....until now.

Once you use and become accustomed to the spider, all other techniques will become useless to you. Congrats on your spider, I know you’ll enjoy it.

Your next project...........spider chuck
wink.gif

After putting in all the work to accomplish it my old way, I am absolutely sure you are right. My setup time should be very short from here on out....with no regard for anything but the bore. Truing the profile of the chamber area can be performed quickly and easily and the barrel will be held better and should reduce the risk of chatter.....something novices like myself seem to find rather easily.

My old method could take quite a long time to get the bore running "fairly" close.

Spider chuck? Maybe. I intend to see how well I do with the 4-jaw and a copper ring.